PDA

View Full Version : Land connections to LHR/LGW from LCC airports

thefareguru
31st Mar 2005, 19:24
Hello from YVR. I am playing with some options involving landing in London from North America, then flying into Eastern Europe and returning to the UK to another LCC airport. Can some of you with creative imaginations help me with 3 options, none of which I know how to find?

The flights PRG-EMA sometimes have amazing prices, and the trick is how to take advantage of them. First question is how to go EMA-LHR/LGW [reason for LGW is to connect to the Zoom charters].

For similar reasons but different continental cities, BHX - LHR/LGW.

And last, LTN was a zoo for me, involving Victoria Station, Blackfriars, British Rail and a land transfer in town. Is there another way? The cheap flights into there from all the sun destinations make this airport attractive [note: NOT in the visual sense; for that to happen, a traveller would need an advanced state of glaucoma].

I'm assuming that LHR/LGW to STN has a bus rather than a train and the Tube to the STN Express.

Thanks for any help.

airhumberside
31st Mar 2005, 19:46
Try National Express coaches. They ink LHR and LGW to EMA, BHX, LTN and STN

Hope this helps

thefareguru
31st Mar 2005, 19:51
Thanks airhumberside! I'll play with the times to try and figure out what to recommend for a minimum connecting time between airports [and what margin of error to allow].

I forgot to ask about the flybe. airports of SOU/BOH.

airhumberside
31st Mar 2005, 19:59
I would try national express again. Flybe only fly to SOU, not BOH

egnxema
1st Apr 2005, 05:56
Their website is www.nationalexpress.com and they have a non stop service from EMA to all terminals at LHR and LGW.

KiloMIke
1st Apr 2005, 06:05
Dont think they do airport to airport but try

www.megabus.com

thefareguru
1st Apr 2005, 07:40
Thanks to all.

The megabus shows no airports, but is an interesting curiosity.

I noted recently on a website that was discussing flights between BHX and Amritsar, that British Rail goes right into BHX. Is there no way to use it to get to any of the London airports faster or in the same time as a bus?

pwalhx
1st Apr 2005, 07:42
If you want to fly back on Zoom, why not consider Manchester rather than London. You can connect to various LCC from Manchester and alternatively Liverpool is only a short bus and/or rail trip away.

jabird
1st Apr 2005, 08:54
tfg,

Why not just find out which onward connections you can make with EZ etc at LGW?

Coaches are slow, trains can be a bit faster, but they will clean your wallet out, unless you use advance purchase tickets - minimum 3 days before, but they often sell out sooner.

Consider:

Virgin coach LTN -> Milton Keynes -> BHX airport, or
as above, but alight at Coventry - then bus to airport

TOM starting DSA to PRG. From St Pancras, take train to Doncaster, then I think you'll need a taxi - about 5 miles to DSA?

LGW to LTN should be possible by Thameslink, but because of construction works, you'd have to break your journey as you mention.

LGW to SOU might be possible by train, I think with a change at Southampton Central. BOH is an expensive (£15+) taxi ride from Bournemouth Station, v. limited bus afaik.

By the time you've added all these expenses in, I think you'll be able to find much better value just sticking to onwards from LGW - you could even carry on by train, for example from Prague to Vienna, Budapest etc. I'd personally do it that way, unless you really want to experience the UK's glorious public transport system :yuk:

oncemorealoft
1st Apr 2005, 09:34
The Thameslink Service which usually provides excellent connection between LTN and LGW is currently undergoing construction work which means a break in the journey and walking between St Pancras and Kings Cross thanmeslink station (several hundered metres).

However, this is due for completeion some time in May so by the Summer you may find that a LTN-LGW option is the easiest.

CAP670
3rd Apr 2005, 16:27
Accessing Luton from Gatwick is via a direct train service operated by Thameslink which runs through London, although until the end of next month, there is a break for Eurostar construction work in Central London, that involves a 500 metre walk from Kings Cross Thameslink to St Pancras stations.

The 'airport' station for Luton is Luton Airport Parkway (not Luton Town) which is served by 99% of Thameslink services and 35% of Midland Mainline services. From London St Pancras, Midland Mainline does Luton Air Parkway non-stop in just 23 minutes.

Thameslink's fastest trains take 30 minutes.

There is a free shuttle bus linking the Luton Airport Parkway Station with Luton Airport and it takes between 5 and 10 minutes depending on road traffic.

The Thameslink services operate H24 although in the early hours it's down to one per hour.

Best options are:

1. LGW from N Amercia and onwards on a LCC
2. LGW from N Amercia and onwards via Luton on an LCC
3. Manchester from N Amercia and onwards on an LCC.

:cool: