PDA

View Full Version : Gas or Electric

Rhodie
31st Mar 2005, 11:31
The stove finally blew itself up last night - been tripping the mains at whim for a while... :*
but now - do I put a new electric or go for gas - much of the same pricewise..

I believe gas is much quicker etc. - any advice..?

R

IFTB
31st Mar 2005, 11:37
If you want to use a wok, go for gas.

But maybe you should ask Jammy Oliper for advise.
He has no connections with gas or electric companies (yet) :rolleyes:

RAC/OPS
31st Mar 2005, 11:38
Definitely gas. You don't need to preheat your oven thereby saving time and money, and you have more control over your ring - the one on the top of the stove that is!!

mikedurward
31st Mar 2005, 11:40
Apparently gas hob and electric over is the best combination !!!!!!!!

31st Mar 2005, 11:40
I would go for electric.
I had a new Zanussi fan assisted oven fitted last year, and it's magic. It heats up to 200c in about 10 mins, and being fan assisted, cooks very evenly.
I would also highly recommend a halogen hob. Heats up instantly, and is pi55 easy to keep clean.

noisy
31st Mar 2005, 11:41
Gas every time. Unless you are in the habit of coming in drunk at 2.30am and cooking. In which case it can be a liabilty.

Onan the Clumsy
31st Mar 2005, 11:47
Gas, because if your life ever ends up in the shitter, you can always stick your head in the oven and get it over with.

plus it's way easier to cook with.

MadsDad
31st Mar 2005, 12:01
Gas hob (instant control over heat to pan) and electric oven (better heat distribution) any time.

Onan. Unfortunately current UK gas supply is non-toxic so only effective if you strike a match. Would bring a new meaning to 'go boil (or bake?) your head' though).

airship
31st Mar 2005, 12:10
I got what they call a mixte here. 2 gas + 2 electric rings with electric oven. I've mainly forgotten what it was like cooking with gas ever since the gas bottle ran out 8 years ago but I'm sure IFTB is right about the wok thing. But gas makes me nervous. I was forever double-checking that the main valve was shut before going out the door y'know? And have you seen what a gas explosion can do to a 4 storey building?!

Anyway, the other day the switch for one of the electric rings failed in the ON position. Decided it was time for a new cooker so went shopping for one. Just a plain electric cooker. But everything I saw looked as though it needed a PhD to operate. And do you know how much they cost?! Yup, you'd need the PhD salary to go with it. So I got back home, resigned to the fact that tomorrow after all, I'd just have to make an effort and watch the meagre bank balance diminish even further. Set about cleaning up the old cooker so that it'd be ready to be taken away without getting too many embarassing What a pig" stares. By the time I'd finished, that old cooker never looked better even when new. They don't make 'em like they used to I was thinking. It's just a switch...maybe I could get a spare? But I'm not going to call in anyone, I'll do it meself. So I set about dismantling everything to get access and hopefully find a part number for the switch. Guess what? No part numbers, but I got to see how really simple these old cookers are. The gears and spring on the switch looked cruddy but otherwise unbroken. A few quick spurts of dielectric cleaner plus one in the eye and hey presto...the cooker's good for another 15 years of mouth-watering curries! :)

5milesbaby
31st Mar 2005, 13:46
Definately a gas hob and electric oven. I hate the electric hobs habit of not letting you know when its about to boil a pan over and then not being able to turn it down quickly enough to stop it continuing. With gas its instant heat reduction therefore not much cleaning up afterwards. I cannot find a gas oven however to match that of an electric fan assisted. As long as you get to grips with the power of it, you can never fail to cook good.

On a side, when the electricity fails (power cut etc) you can always heat up water on gas for a hot brew/wash etc. as long as the matches are handy!!

PilotsPal
31st Mar 2005, 14:22
I have seven gas burners of five different sizes on the hob. I have two electric ovens, one conventional and one fan-assisted below the hob, and a separate electric grill. We are talking four figures for such a magnificent device but worth every penny and the next best thing to the ultimate Queen of Cookers, a four-door Aga.

slim_slag
31st Mar 2005, 14:48
Wouldn't recommend those new induction hobs. Nice idea but not as controllable as gas, and I had to give money to Jamie Bloody Oliver last week as his were the only omlette pans in the shop which would work on induction.

Paterbrat
31st Mar 2005, 16:00
Definitely combination, gas on top + on electric plate and electric oven. Down on the EA coast our electricity is very intermittant so having the two does help.

Re pans got suckered in at the Ideal Homes show with a pan, got it home and it is positively the best cookware buy I have ever made, can't remember the name though it's at home, was 20 quid and is the best egg pan going, omlettes scrambled fried, all come out great every time with no fat no stick, just wipe. Firies all sorts of other stuff equaly successfuly. Very thick but very light, remobable handle for putting in the oven and a glass cover that the guy was hammering hard but wouldn't break. Most impressive demo most impressive pan.

Onan the Clumsy
31st Mar 2005, 16:09
Airship We have a shop called Adam the Answerman where you go and tell him your appliance has busted and give him the model number. They give you the part and instructions on how to fix it. Wotks great and saves tone of money.

Firestorm
31st Mar 2005, 16:18
Until recently would have said gas hob and fan assisted electric oven, but when I moved in to my current flat I found a gas hob and gas oven. The gas oven has served me very well for all sorts of uses, mainly roasting and baking (can't think of anything else I might have wanted to use it for, other than just heating food up), so now I would prefer gas and gas.

As PP said, the Aga is obviously the very best of all.

Sailor Vee
31st Mar 2005, 16:27
We've just switched over from all-gas to a 5 burner gas hob and double electric oven (one fan assisted and smaller one also has grill), they're in different sections of the kitchen so we don't get in each other's way when cooking for guests or we each want something different!:ok:

acbus1
31st Mar 2005, 16:29
Onan the Clumsy Airship We have a shop called Adam the Answerman...... .........Wotks great and saves tone of money.
Do they do keyboards? :}

maxman
31st Mar 2005, 17:53
Gas hob and fan assisted electric oven for me too. If you get a power cut, you can still boil water:ok:
The fan assisted oven has just done a rather nice toad in the hole too.

acbus1
31st Mar 2005, 18:18
I agree re the danger worries of gas. Tis a personal thing. Then again, the central heating is gas, what's the loss?

Re power cuts, we've got a camping stove. Cheap to buy the stove. Gas canisters expensive, but only rarely needed.

Can't use gas cookers for emergency heating if an electricity cut......correct? :ooh:

B Fraser
31st Mar 2005, 18:47
and you have more control over your ring

unless you overdo the chillis in a lamb madras :uhoh:

sorry.... hat........ coat......... door