PDA

View Full Version : UK Frustration Opinions And Help

Somedaymaybe
31st Mar 2005, 11:23
Hi All,

I will cut to the chase, I have been doing my training in the UK since last year and have logged 33hrs in the PA38/PA28, however I am getting really annoyed with the length it has taken and the fact that every time i am due to fly It is cancelled due to the Wx.

I am now thinking of going over to the states to finish the remainder of my training, I am looking at Going to OFT in orlando.

Has anybody addopted this approach/ been in the same situation?

Will OFT be able to Accomodate this request?

Opinions Needed ( Decent ones that is!)

SDM :ok:

buster172
31st Mar 2005, 14:09
Hi,

I have a PPL already and find it very frustrating not getting to fly with the recent weather.

Speaking to a guy who passed his PPL a few weeks ago, it has taken him nearly a year to do it at twice the cost. I went to Florida and did mine in 21 days at half the cost.

You will hear mixed views about this being a good idea or not, but I think you should go for it! Save yourself a packet and use the extra money to do a bit of flying here this summer. I can’t help you on the license issue, but I dont see why a school couldn’t finish off your training, there’s nothing that states you have to do it all in one place.

All the best and enjoy, its meant to be fun, not frustrating.

Kind regards,

Buster

:ok:

nosewheelfirst
31st Mar 2005, 14:52
You can now go to any country to train for a PPL licence as long as you do the skills test and exams in the UK (or any JAA approved school). Canada for example would be an excellent place to go and there are no hastles with VISAs providing you are there for less than 6 months.

Steve

Airbus Girl
31st Mar 2005, 18:07
I would highly recommend it.
It is very frustrating trying to complete a PPL in the UK and I must admit I gave up the idea fairly early on and went to the place with the best weather - California!!!!
There are schools there that have CAA/JAA examiner on staff and so you can get your FAA and JAA if you like.
All your previous hours count and flying twice a day or more you'll have no problems finishing in the time.
If you can, get your ground exams done before you go and allow as much time as you can in the US - it's pilot's heaven - everything is free and there are loads of nice airports.
If you go to California allow a few days at the end for doing some additional hours - you can go to Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, etc.

When I was training I did 200 hours in a month in the US, in spring - I don't think I could have done that in the UK!!!

esvdx
31st Mar 2005, 21:41
Hi

Remember if you are progressing on with your training after your PPL (i.e. CPL and onwards), you don't even need a JAA PPL.

You can gain any ICAO PPL and still come back to the UK and fly on it for a reasonable time before starting a JAA CPL.

This can save quite a lot of money and most schools obviously don't mention it!

Regards,

esvdx