PDA

View Full Version : Half-scale Rhodesian Spitfire

Argonautical
31st Mar 2005, 11:12
Hi Everyone

Sometime in the late 1970s I went with a group of people to a RhAF officer's house in Salisbury.
The officer, who I think was a Wing Commander, was building a Spitfire in his garage. I am not certain of the actual scale but it may have been half-scale.

From what I remember, the airframe was about half done but I don't think an engine was fitted.
I also remember his wife mentioning that he had to get a move on with it, as they were due to be posted to Grand Reef (FAF8).

Does anyone know if it was ever finished and flew, or did it, as I suspect, end up being used for firewood ?

thanks

tic
2nd Apr 2005, 22:47
Hi
I thought it was a half scale Hurricane. Believe it was Peter Knoble, but don't quote me.

Tokoloshe
3rd Apr 2005, 13:53
I think Peter K still has it in his garage. He lives in Nelspruit now.
PM me and I will pass on his phone number and you can ask him yourself.

Skaz
4th Apr 2005, 04:32
Last I saw it was in December 1999, stopped by Oom Peter K's house in Nelspruit and he showed me the Spit in the garage.

Poor thing was in bad shape, apparently the transport company that moved it from 'Rhodesia' down to RSA damaged it.

Would love to see it completed and fly. Oom Peter K and his son had built it, and he had blown the canopy himself too.

Tokoloshe I pm'd you.

Chambudzi
4th Apr 2005, 06:27
I seem to remember it was a one fifth scale design.
Perhaps some enterprising fellow will offer to help Pete K complete it. Im sure he would love to see it in the air.

Argonautical
5th Apr 2005, 08:06
Thanks for this guys, I've always wondered what happenned to it. Sad that it hasn't flown (yet ?) but glad it escaped the clutches of Bob.

Kep Ten Jim
5th Apr 2005, 13:09
Its a single seater - Bob don't fly