PDA

View Full Version : Pukka!

IFTB
31st Mar 2005, 09:10
At last a balanced article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4394025.stm) on Jammy Olipers adventures.

On the 8 GBP beans-on-toast at his restuarant 15 he says:
"I should have been brighter...Heinz came to us and offered 15,000 for us to put something cool made with baked beans on the menu. That funds one student for a whole year. Am I going to do it? Of course I am."

furthermore:
his fellow TV chef, Clarissa Dickson Wright, recently branded him "a whore" after he endorsed Sainsbury's farmed salmon, even though he refuses to serve the product.

and on the "better feed me" campaign:
But he must realise that the fight for better school food has only just begun, and there is a long fight ahead before Britain's children can enjoy what Jamie Oliver would call "pukka nosh" every lunchtime.

anyone taking bets he chucks it in once it leaves the limelight?

As I said before :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

DBChopper
31st Mar 2005, 09:20
So what is your point?

All you have done is cut and paste a few phrases from a fairly pointless article.

For whatever reason he has done it, and no matter how irrittating a personality he can be, he has ensured that thousands of kids in a seriously grotty area (and I have worked in the area where Kidbrooke School is for years - trust me, it's grotty!) are getting a decent, healthy meal a day as opposed to processed crap full of additives.

Is that not a good thing?

:confused:

eal401
31st Mar 2005, 09:21
His restaurant serves beans on toast at 8? Yawn. I ate at a pub in Yorkshire at the weekend that did fish & chips for nearly 9. (No, I didn't have it, though it did actually look like value for money).

If he has improved school dinners from the miserable slop served to damage the health of the current generation of kids, then good for him. The fact that the government had to be shamed into it by a TV chef should be a cause of extreme embarrassment.

People knock him for endorsing products. Do these people really believe Beckham uses Gillette? Or that Sharon Osbourne shops in Asda? Etc. etc!

IFTB
31st Mar 2005, 09:26
DBChopper , you have a point, I should have posted it with a reference to the previous thread on Jammy's antics.
I have now found it follow this link (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=165544) :uhoh: May be the relevance will become clear then.

Question was if Mr Oliper did all this out of the goodness of his dedicated cook's heart. :yuk:

eal401
31st Mar 2005, 09:33
Question was if Mr Oliper did all this out of the goodness of his dedicated cook's heart.
Who gives a toss, he acheived it which is what really matters.

DBChopper
31st Mar 2005, 11:15
eal401,

I agree wholeheartedly. I've taken quite an interest in his school dinners project over the past few weeks, including watching the programme and listening to a number of interviews with him. No one can doubt his passion and drive for this particular project. His comparison of British school dinners to the quality of those served in some of the poorest townships in Africa is nothing short of a national embarrassmant. If he gets publicity as a result, bully for him. If he gets a knighthood, great. If our kids get healthy food - now that's pukka.

By the way - that shrieking talentless chav Sharon Osbourn advertising Asda really does make me :yuk:

DBChopper
:ok:

IFTB
31st Mar 2005, 12:45
I'm sorry, but I find all this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/4394745.stm) a bit sad."He (Jamie Oliver)is God as far as I'm concerned"

What is it with the UK? Everyone who has some sort of TV status is instantly better than the ELECTED governement?

Onan the Clumsy
31st Mar 2005, 12:49
Living in Septicland, I'm not really sure who he is. Does this have anything to do with Lenny Henry?

Nick Riviera
31st Mar 2005, 12:50
Since when has being elected equated to being skilled? It just means you received at least 1 more vote than anyone else.

IFTB
31st Mar 2005, 12:52
Nick Riviera,
Correct, post amended.

X-QUORK
31st Mar 2005, 13:03
Right then, to cut a long story short...IFTB doesn't like Jamie Oliver.

Next.:zzz:

eal401
31st Mar 2005, 13:11
I'm sorry, but I find all this a bit sad.
So, some dinner ladies hated the fact that they were serving shite to the kids, tried to do something about and failed and now praise someone for doing what they wanted to acheive. And you find that "sad?"

Do you have shares in Processed Cheap Shit for Schools PLC or something? You seem to be quick to knock those trying to improve the school diet of today's children yet exceptionally reticent in critisicing the cheap shite served to date.

IFTB
31st Mar 2005, 13:22
Dear Mr eal , as I mentioned a few times now, I have no issue with the need to imporve the standards. What I do find rediculous is that the Mr Oliper involvement is blow up to a saint-like example.
The use of "Sir Jammy", "he is god" etc. while Mr.Oliper's cashregister works overtime and is still fully claimed to be out-of the goodness of his cooking hart does not sit quiet right with me.

HandspringGuy
31st Mar 2005, 15:43
IFTB,

Jamie's position in the media enables him to have a voice that people in power have to take notice of. He has only done what thousands of us would have done. The point is that because of him the next generation of OUR country's children will be well fed and subsequently, well educated people.

I am surprised you haven't included a GIF of 'tumbleweed' or a 'head through PC screen' yet

SmilingKnifed
31st Mar 2005, 15:55
Hat's off to the guy. For someone with dyslexia and no qualifications to achieve what he has and then seem to genuinely care about putting something back. For what's it worth I also find him quite likeable, can you imagine having a pint with Anthony Worral Thompson?

What is it with our country and this habit of knocking anyone who succeeds? :rolleyes:

Plus, how many blokes can now cook a half decent meal as a result of his influence? :ok:

IFTB
31st Mar 2005, 15:59
I am surprised you haven't included a GIF of 'tumbleweed' or a 'head through PC screen' yet
Bother, completely forgot! :*

Jamie's position in the media enables him to have a voice that people in power have to take notice of.
and great that he does!

Now, remind me again, when is his book "Better feed me" coming out did it say? :rolleyes:

Jerricho
31st Mar 2005, 16:03
Actually, I have found Mr Oliver a hypocrite on more than one occasion. The Sainsbury's "farmed salmon" is a very good example. I seem to remember him jumping on the aircraft noise bandwagon just before I left Blighty. Being from that part of the world, he has attached his name to several noise complaint campaigns in Essex (and even Luton).
This was the same guy who I saw in another advert jetting around the world sampling wine..........on a bloody airyplane. He has actually been quoted as saying "I am not against flying or airports - I have to travel all round the world by air in my line of business" Sorry Jamie, the term " NIMBY whore" suited you quite well on that occasion.

Rollingthunder
31st Mar 2005, 16:07
I like him. His dad owns a pub where he got his start in cooking. He cooks simply using good ingredients and knows what good ingredients are. He's a bit over the top on the telly but that's what television likes. Apparently it took someone with his skills to improve school food, so good on him, it's something positive in a largely negative world. Just focusing on his food skills here, not the other stuff.

Parapunter
31st Mar 2005, 16:16
He's alright I reckon. He makes no money from his restaurant, thhe structure of the foundation forbids him from drawing salary or dividend, so he is reliant now on celebdom for a living. Wish I could make his kinnd of moolah.

BTW in France, the kids don't get a choice of meal. They're served up a bit of quality & it's eat up or go hungry. That's the way forward. Choice is abused in this country IMHO.

acbus1
31st Mar 2005, 18:11
anyone taking bets he chucks it in once it leaves the limelight?
*Even more importantly, who'd bet against the Government chucking it once it leaves the limelight?

.........or, more likely, after the imminent General Election.

What is it with the UK? Everyone who has some sort of TV status is instantly better than the ELECTED governement?
I have no problem with that in principle, considering that the so-called democratic election process is seriously flawed (please read on).

Since when has being elected equated to being skilled? It just means you received at least 1 more vote than anyone else.
It does'nt even mean that! Proportional representation would mean that.

But I agree with your point......the elected are'nt necessarily fit to do the job they were elected to do.

....because of him the next generation of OUR country's children will be well fed and subsequently, well educated people.
Pity about * (see above).

Sorry to make such a meal of my reply. *burp*

IFTB
31st Mar 2005, 21:31
RollingThunder
Just focusing on his food skills here, not the other stuff. again, I agree 100%. Some of his receipts (I have 2 of his books) I use a lot and are simple while giving excellent results.

He makes no money from his restaurant

now wait a minute....................was that a pig going overhead??
Come on Mr Punter, you're normally a bit more realistic!

Or did you mean "he is not making any money from his restaurant yet " with a loan and initial other expenses taken into account, I'm sure he does not yet. But what business does, after 1 to 2 years??

Oh, and he has no other income?? The poor soul! All the books were a flop, the TV shows did not pay a lot, Tefal never paid him, and Sainsbury?? No, not a penny from them!

Skylark4
31st Mar 2005, 22:12
From what I understand, he derives no income from the restaurant but so what if he does. The School Dinner project took over a year and he didn't get paid for that. I reckon he's done a good job. Far better than the parents who could let a child achieve the age of 10 years without being able to recognise a beetroot or a stick of rhubarb or a leek.

Mike W

eal401
1st Apr 2005, 07:47
Sorry Jamie, the term " NIMBY whore" suited you quite well on that occasion.
Maybe everyone in that position SHOULD stop flying.

Who here volunteers for the dole queue first?

:rolleyes:

tony draper
1st Apr 2005, 08:06
I think he should clear his desk, looks like there's going to be a job going in Rome.
:rolleyes:

lasernigel
1st Apr 2005, 08:08
will be well fed and subsequently, well educated people.

Since when does being fed well amount to a better education?Good food will not encourage NEETS kid's to learn.A kick up the arse and taking their parents off benefits and making them work for a change might.

It's electioneering plain and simple.One of those Labour famous soundbite things.New money is it ****.Plus 60 million quango to spend it??Whats that about then..more jobs in the Guardian no doubt for sycophantic Blairites.

eal401
1st Apr 2005, 08:20
Since when does being fed well amount to a better education?
It doesn't. However, as I understand it, a better fed child will be more able to learn, through being more alert and active. Sorry, no proof, just recall reading it in the past.

Good food is the start, good teaching and good parenting help. In my opinion, the latter is the increasingly weakest link in the chain. Kids will get fed well at school only to go home to Tesco Value pizza and chips.

It's electioneering plain and simple.
As far as some people are concerned, no government can do anything without that being the case. I wonder why they ever bother at all.

MadsDad
1st Apr 2005, 08:46
EAL.

Since when does being fed well amount to a better education?

There were comments from the teachers during the course of the program that after the kids had been persuaded to eat the 'healthy options' food their general behaviour, alertness etc. improved considerably, particularly during the afternoon.

Parapunter
1st Apr 2005, 09:10
Nah Mr IFTB, I meant what I said - I looked it up on the Fifteen website, although I can't find the link now, the restaurant is set up so the flabby lipped wunderfoodwarmer can't whip any funds out of it - Honest!:)

IFTB
1st Apr 2005, 09:30
fifteen foundation (http://www.fifteenrestaurant.com/charity/index.html)
All profits from Fifteen go to the Fifteen Foundation (the charity formerly known as Cheeky Chops), to provide these young people with the working environment in which to expand their knowledge and practical experience.
I stand corrected Mr Punter

"Fifteen Amsterdam opened in December 2004" :{ :{ :{

TURIN
1st Apr 2005, 11:20
IFTB

You admit to having used his books (I presume you meant recipes not receipts), but you continue to knock the bloke for making a good living!

Whoever bought those books contributed to his wealth yes?

This frenzy concerning Jamie being knighted or made a saint, I haven't seen that sort of nonsense so I assume it is tabloid tattle as usual!

Set him up then knock him down culture.:mad:

If he has influenced a national government into positive action then good luck to him. If he makes a few dollers out of it fine, but for christ sake don't turn him into some kind of parasite milking the media for it's worth just because you don't like his persona!

Your not Peirs Morgan are you?

IFTB
1st Apr 2005, 11:37
Turin, Your not Peirs Morgan are you? I am not blessed with intimate knowledeg of UK personalities so I do not know how to react on this question. :rolleyes:

The guy (Jamie Oliver) is a good cook and has written a number of recipes (well, I'm not a native english speaker either) which have turned out real nice. That's why I do not criticise any of his cooking abilities and would be one of the last persons to knock anyone's success on writing and selling their work.

If you go back a few posts you will find that it is excatly the, what you quickly dismiss as "it is tabloid tattle as usual" I have a go at.
Even better, if you follow the links you see it is the BBC website I quote. I have no access to or interest in reading tabloids..

eal401
1st Apr 2005, 11:42
intimate knowledge of UK personalities
You seem to know enough about Jamie Oliver to be putting the boot into him.

IFTB
1st Apr 2005, 12:05
To rephrase it: "intimate knowledge of all UK personalities" :p

Burnt Fishtrousers
1st Apr 2005, 13:53
Hat's off to the guy. For someone with dyslexia and no qualifications to achieve what he has and then seem to genuinely care about putting something back. For what's it worth I also find him quite likeable, can you imagine having a pint with Anthony Worral Thompson?

I'd never entertain having a pint with someone who has their own range of sausages with... "Prick with a fork" written on the packet:E :ok:

Fair play to Jamie hes shamed the Govt into investing more money in our future generation.Currently they have less money spent per head than the prison population per head:mad:

brockenspectre
1st Apr 2005, 14:11
For what it is worth IFTB I believe the word "receipts" did mean "recipes". One has at home a very old cook book inherited from a grandmother (and it looks like it belonged to her grandmother!) which contains "receipts" and not "recipes" - I don't have a dictionary to hand here in the office but I am sure a search of the Shorter Oxford would confirm this! :ok:

IFTB
1st Apr 2005, 14:13
No, no, Brocky , leave it. Otherwise Turin will have a go at me for someting else! :uhoh: :}

:ok: