PDA

View Full Version : Microlighting in Mpumalanga

Seaton Approach
30th Mar 2005, 21:51
Hi guys,

As a Brit living in DXB with a UAE MPL and married to a Nelspruit lass I am keen to get some microlighting under my belt down there.

Can anyone advise as to procedure in SA - is it possible to hire a microlight from a club having done a conversion or is that a no-no....

Also, can you recommend any good clubs in the Nelspruit area.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,
SA! :ok:

ou Trek dronkie
30th Mar 2005, 22:06
Would that be Seaton Sluice by any chance ?

From what I remember of the dreaded Microfright community, you had to be trained on an aircraft (if you can call it that) which you bought from the guy who kindly would train you on it. if youcatch my drift. My experience was that, once they had a licence, the microlight fraternity would do exactly what they felt like. I can still recall with disgust, a printer friend of mine, big Scots lad, whining away perpetually because the DCA would not let him fly his stupid microlite out of his back garden in Bryanston. What a tosser.

I also remember the dom ou who started out to fly all round the coast of the RSA from Ponties (= Ponto da Ouro) and nearly got shot down over Moçambique. Now that is getting lost with a vengeance !

Ja man, Ibeen around and I say - Microlights ... trouble in spades (with a plastic ten litre fuel reserve).

ou Trek macrodronk

Would that be Seaton Sluice by any chance ?

From what I remember of the dreaded Microfright community, you had to be trained on an aircraft (if you can call it that) which you bought from the guy who kindly would train you on it. if youcatch my drift. My experience was that, once they had a licence, the microlight fraternity would do exactly what they felt like. I can still recall with disgust, a printer friend of mine, big Scots lad, whining away perpetually because the DCA would not let him fly his stupid microlite out of his back garden in Bryanston. What a tosser.

I also remember the dom ou who started out to fly all round the coast of the RSA from Ponties (= Ponto da Ouro) and nearly got shot down over Moçambique. Now that is getting lost with a vengeance !

Ja man, I been around and I say - Microlights ... trouble in spades (with a plastic ten litre fuel reserve).

ou Trek macrodronk

Solid Rust Twotter
31st Mar 2005, 05:34
Bit of a stutter there, Dronkie? Perhaps a touch of Alzheimers'? :E

Get down to Barberton and find an airfield run by a guy called CC Milne-Pocock. He has a bush pilot strip there and would have the contacts to get you sorted. Barberton is about 20 minutes from Nelspruit if you're suicidal and about 40 minutes if you enjoy the view.

Seaton Approach
1st Apr 2005, 02:17
SR Twotter - many thanks for the tip-off; I shall seek out the chap when I'm next down there....:ok:

And Dronkie, thank you too for your reply - I promise that I won't buzz your house with my flying lawnmower! ;)

wheels up
16th Apr 2005, 17:49
Which reminds me of a story.....

A relative of mine bought a property near the Hartebeespoort Dam from a deceased estate. Curious as to the fate of the previous owner they managed to uncover the sad story of his unfortunate demise.

It turns out the previous owner was an avid microlight pilot; so much so that he constructed an airstrip on the ample sized property. At each end of the strip a row of large trees hampered the approach in and out of the airstrip. Concerned by the hazard posed, friends and family of the pilot constantly pleaded with him to cut down the trees.

Eventually he relented to their constant badgering and resolved to cut down the trees obscuring the approaches.

Unfortunately, in the process of cutting down a particularly large conifer he was rather slow in removing his person from the trajectory of the falling timber and met an untimely end.

I'm sure that this that this story must have a moral but it escapes me......

mutt
17th Apr 2005, 03:28
From experience the SAA CAA dont really know what to do with MPL pilots, so you can probably expect to do a shortened flight training course, written exams, radio exam and a Class 4 medical. But once done, its beautiful country to fly in.

I dont know where Nelspruit is, but if you are around J'Burg, check out Fred Brokland in Springs.

Mutt.

captaincrunchie
17th Apr 2005, 09:20
Well.......dont know much about MPL in SA. But if what Mutt says is true, why dont you just take the plunge and do a PPL. I believe you can count a few of your Micro-Hours towards a PPL. 10 if I am not mistaken.

Barberton / Nelspruit is a beautiful part of the world......enjoy it.

CC

Solid Rust Twotter
17th Apr 2005, 09:54
I believe you can count 25 of your micro/ultralight hours toward a PPL as long as they're in a 3-axis machine and not a weight shift type.