PDA

View Full Version : Hijack tonight?

niknak
30th Mar 2005, 21:51
About 2100 tonight I observed a HIJACK squawk enter UK airspace from the south east (about 40nm east of Dover) descending from high level, at around 350kt.

The aircraft continued west bound towards Stansted, descended to FL160 and took up a non standard holding pattern just to the north west of Stansted, maintaing the hijack squawk.

When I left at 2130 it was still in the hold, and I didnt hear anything on the radio between leaving and getting to the pub, although a media blackout wouldnt be unusual.

Anyone know what was going on?

ShenziRubani
30th Mar 2005, 22:01
would be interesting to know the end of this story.

Keygrip
30th Mar 2005, 22:35
If the relevant agencies WERE trying to keep it from the media - your message hasn't helped.

A telephone call to one of your work colleagues may have been more constructive. What was the name of that Act again? Something official to do with secrets

niknak
30th Mar 2005, 22:47
Keygrip.

The same information would have been fed to the media long before I posted, in the UK the government can "request" or "impose" a media blackout of sensitive news items, that has nothing to do with the official secrets act to which you allude.
No doubt we'll hear about it in the media in the morning.

barit1
31st Mar 2005, 02:33
Anyone with a nefarious interest would already be listening on the same frequencies anyway. It's hardly a secure communication!
:rolleyes:

Chef
31st Mar 2005, 02:49
Heard it was an Aeroflot squawking went into LHR still squawking and was boarded by armed police on a remote stand

PPRuNe Radar
31st Mar 2005, 08:13
If Niknak was a NATS employee, then there would have been a breach of employee rules by reporting this ... however, other ATS providers might be a bit more free in what employees are allowed to pass on from their place of work :ok:

The same information would have been fed to the media long before I posted,

I wouldn't be so sure .......

Tallbloke
31st Mar 2005, 08:18
Anyone with a nefarious interest would already be listening on the same frequencies anyway. It's hardly a secure communication! Well I think you need a little more than an airband scanner to intercept and decode SSR transmissions.

Turn It Off
31st Mar 2005, 10:41
And not forgetting that it is illegal to use any information that you may hear on a scanner.

hobie
31st Mar 2005, 14:17
And not forgetting that it is illegal to use any information that you may hear on a scanner.
I wish someone had pointed that out at the start of the "infamous" IFSD thread ...... :{ :{ :{

Gonzo
31st Mar 2005, 14:31
It was a tech problem with the a/c

cribble
31st Mar 2005, 19:27
I may have missed some of the meaning of a few of the above posts but wouldn't any hijacker already know there was a hijack going on? Why keep the problem secret?

concorde001
31st Mar 2005, 19:35
I've heard from those working at LHR that SU247 from SVO to LHR, the pilot accidently activated the 'hijack' warning and could not disable it once landed.
Sorry for my basic explanation|!

paddyboy
31st Mar 2005, 19:46

Hardly a concern for anyone with dubious intentions...;)