PDA

View Full Version : Any ex teachers here?

boogy40
30th Mar 2005, 19:34
Hello!

i am still considering changing career as a cabin crew and would like to share experiences with ex teachers who have made the jump!

Thank you very much
Boogy40

OZcabincrew
31st Mar 2005, 03:22
i went thought training with a girl who was an ex teacher and she loves it, the money is a lot better and no teacher like respnsibilities! i'd go for it!

ezpz
31st Mar 2005, 14:11
Hi,

I'm an ex-primary school teacher. I left teaching 4 years ago and have not looked back. After spending all my evenings and some weekends up to my eyes with paperwork, it was fantastic to have a job where you have no work to take home with you.

The main advantages of being cabin crew I first noticed when joining included;

At least 11 hours between duties with no homework where no-one is even allowed to call you.

Earning the same money, if not more than teaching, all for a 4-6 week training course.

Working with different people everyday, most of whom are positive and happy. No more depressed negativity in the staff room.

Getting trips abroad and having staff travel to see the world.

No more being sworn at and abused by parents and children. It is an offence to use threantening and abbusive language to the crew inflight. The airline and police back you up, not the passengers. Sadly unlike what happens in school, when everyone backs the abusive child.

Fantastic oppurtunities for promotion. I have worked as a junior, purser, recruiter and I now work as a trainer. So kind of back where I started, but this time with more money, less hours, and lots of travel!

The only disadvantages I found was sometimes dealing with delayed and angry passengers could be tiring, when you had no real solutions to offer them and were taking the blame for something that was not your fault.

Occasionally you can feel like you have switched your brain off, because once you have got into the routine of flying, you do not need to think too much about what you are doing. However I have always managed to balance this by going to work and having a laugh, getting to know my crew, chatting to the passengers and leaving work with a smile on my face.

Don't get me wrong, being crew can be hard work, but compared to teaching, it really is a breath of fresh air.

I have not looked back in the last 4 years, so my advice is just "GO FOR IT!"

Vermintrude
31st Mar 2005, 17:59
Hi,

I did my PGCE in Secondary Art and Design ( 11-18 year olds). At the end of my years course having spent all the hours God sent preparing lessons and course work, I was glad to get a flying job where I didn't need to think about work until I next went in. I've never looked back - flying is for me but teaching definately wasn't!

Lucy

boogy40
31st Mar 2005, 18:36
Thank you very much, it makes me want to do it even more...
Have a great career!

Boogy 40

I would like to be nosy...
boogy 40

wan2fly
31st Mar 2005, 21:28
Boogy

Have you started applying yet ?? If so who to - need any help ! you will get lots of it from "most" of the peeps on here so ask away - go for it. It is quite simply THE BEST job ;)

good luck :ok:

boogy40
1st Apr 2005, 14:06
Hello again!

i have not applied yet as I need to loose 2 stones to be in normal BMI. I would not like to get to the interview and have to get another year to apply. So veg, fruits and lean protein here I come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck in the search for this great job
Boogy 40

Iceicleman
2nd Apr 2005, 18:26
:confused: School teachers with BA / BSc / PGCE swopping jobs to become waiter / waitress? Is this a windup? 1st April style?:sad:

redadair
2nd Apr 2005, 18:57
Er no Iceicleman, its no wind up, I have a BA (hons) and a PGCE and i'm glad to be cabin crew!

eastern wiseguy
2nd Apr 2005, 20:29
You will find most teachers on these boards correcting controllers grammar and spellin!!!:E :E

deliberate spelling mistake..lol

flightbabe79
9th Apr 2005, 08:49
Yep made the swop from primary teaching to cabin crew a month and a half ago - best decision ive ever made - i certainly am not going to go back to teaching. My advice to anyone considering it is Go for it! you wont look back - and yer i have a Ba Hons degree and it took me 4 years to get it - but to me i just gained a lot of life skills doing it that are essential for the job as cabin crew - so no way was it wasted.
Just apply and get ready for a great new life!:D

redfield
9th Apr 2005, 18:44
I used to be a teacher and I'm happy to work for a handling agent these days! I get paid more as well...and i don't correct other people's spelling 'cos after a couple of years marking schoolkids scrawl aye carnt spel verrie wel eyether!
:}

Flock1
9th Apr 2005, 19:08
I am still a teacher and it's a load of cr*p. I've been doing it for eleven years, and so the money's not too bad - 31,000.

A few years back I did my PPL with the hope of going commercial, but in the end, after passing, I realised that I couldn't really afford the 50 grand licence bill, and so stayed on as a teacher.

Good luck to all you out there who made the jump. If I'd have swapped careers in my twenties, then who knows.....

Regards

Flock1

boogy40
9th Apr 2005, 19:16
Hi, The money is not bad as a teacher when you have experience but God, they make you pay for it!!!!!!!!!!
I started teaching at 18 in France and I am 41. I would give it up tomorrow no problem and would take a pay cut just to have a different lifestyle. Do you regret not to have done it?
Boogy 40