PDA

View Full Version : Irish Wannabe

renright
30th Mar 2005, 13:43
Hi,

Here's a quick description of my problem. I presume it's a pretty common one.

I am a uni graduate working for one of the major American corparatons in Ireland
I have been studying for my PPL over the last year and it was going pretty well so i decided to do the class one medical. I passed my class one about 3 weeks ago and with that organised an appointment with the bank to the funds together to follow my dream.

Probably being a bit naive I thought the fact that i was a graduate and had a cost breakdown completed along with the medical I would succed in getting the finance together. Unfortunately after nearly an hour of explaining how commited i was to this career change I was offered €20K which was well below my expectations.
Needless to say the dream of studying in the USA (EFT in Florida) has never looked far away.

I have been reading threads about HSBC etc offering loans so I was wondering if Irish citizens can apply or indeed if the same loans are offered by some Irish banks?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

too_sleepy
30th Mar 2005, 15:20
Sent you a private message.

fonz77
31st Mar 2005, 01:05
Am in similar position as well, any chance of some info regarding Irish loans.

celtflyer
31st Mar 2005, 13:06
Why dont you just work for a year or two, Have patience. I saved over 70000euro in three years from two jobs, 1 full time and 1 part time. The last thing you want as your looking for work is a restrictive hefty loan hanging over you. What if you did manage to get a 50000euro loan and within a week of qualifying you get a job with Ryanair for example who want 30000 grand off you for a type rating, how you manage that? another loan, this can become a vicious circle of repayments paying repayments. Finish you PPL get a full time job and save like mad, study and do a few hours to keep you interests alive.

vicento
1st Apr 2005, 10:59
Renright,

I approached my local Ulsterbank (N. Ireland) and they had a very positive attitude. As long as you can offer good security (This is where the parents come in) and put some money in yourself you should get a result.

I also approached HSBC and had a tougher time!!

wbryce
1st Apr 2005, 11:12
I share the same view as Celtflyer,

If you have motivation and determination you will eventually get there....the mission is to get there with the least amount of debt!

Put your head down and be patient and enjoy the learning experiance, I work a 40hour week and use my wages to fly at the weekend, It took me 9 months to get my PPL and now i'm currently enjoying weekend bimbling and touring to bring the hours up.

normb
1st Apr 2005, 11:28
Hi Renright,

I'm like you an Irish wannabe. Am desperate to start my training but realise due to the very high cost, poor job market that it's a really big risk. Am 29 yrs old and currently work as a Quality Systems Engineer, I dont like my job and dream of the day I can leave it behind. Am currently saving as much as I possibly can per month and even though i'm going to have to work for the next 2 yrs in order to save the funds needed it will be worth it in the long run, not having a big loan hanging over me.
Keep the head down in the job for a while, save as much as you can and then go training, u be glad you did in the long run.
Good luck with whatever you decide!

normb.