PDA

View Full Version : Excel Interview

CCMNo1
30th Mar 2005, 11:14
Hi

I have an interview with Excel on Monday and i am wondering if anyone has any tips as to what the interview and airline are like?

Pandora's Box
30th Mar 2005, 13:43
CCMNo1

You mean you dont know what Excel is like, hav'nt you been watching Trolley Dolleys?? Dont tell them that at the interview.

On a serious note, I had an interview with them a couple of years back (may have changed now but doubt it). Start with introduce person next to you, maths test... which I f***ed up, then they garble on about Excel (try not to fall asleep, probably why I did'nt get the job, nothing to do with the maths test) then interview.

Good luck :D

CCMNo1
30th Mar 2005, 16:38
Thanks for your reply. Yes, i have been watching the series. But, i am just wondering what rosters are like for example days on and off and pay.

I am going for a part time position and i already have 5 years experience flying for another airline.

What kind of questions were in the maths test?

DELTABOY
31st Mar 2005, 15:30
Doesn't sound very professional pandora...you obviously must have looked bored. Perhaps you should be looking for another career chuck!
Out of interest did you manage to get a cabin crew position in the end with anyone?

I did 3 years for them as a Purser, 2 of those were on a part time contract based at LGW. I operated on a 5 days on 9 days off roster & at the time of leaving last summer part time crew were only permited to operate on the short haul fleet B-737 & B-757. However, with the introduction of the B-747 fleet at the end of the year & eventual merger with Air Atlanta Europe I think it will go fleet wide. You also find you don\'t get the night stops so much, they tended to go to the full timers, but I did get a couple of the 5 day trips in Exeter doing the Greek Island rotations & that wacked up the money quite a bit.
I personally found them a very pleasant & friendly company to work for & certainly from a Pursers point of view they seemed to value your experience & look after you. Money is not that great however, I was taking home between £850- £1000 per month. But then again there aren\'t many jobs around where you get that for working just 10 days a month on average & some of those days are S/BY duties with no call out.
I would take it if you can live on the money & your content with the short haul flying & copious Greek Island, Cypriot & Egyptian flights....Excel love their long days!
Good Luck!:ok:

CCMNo1
31st Mar 2005, 21:48
Thanks Deltaboy!
Money sounds good for part time although the reason i am applying is because i miss flying and my previous airline does not offer part time. Not bothered about the night stops either as i like to get home most nights to my wee boy.

All the feedback sounds good for Excel - i am looking forward to my interview, i will just have to keep my fingers crossed.

The only thing i am dreading is the 4 or 5 week training course. Its now 7 years since i did a full training course and i just remember i hated fire ground training.

Any tips on the training course, Deltaboy??

DELTABOY
1st Apr 2005, 08:47
It was initially a four week course when I started & then when I returned to do part time after a short winter break it was just a two week refresher.
Training is fine, they treat you like an adult & I found all the trainers friendly, approachable & supportive throughout the course. First couple of weeks is the usual SEP/SOP & Inflight Medical training including the defib procedures on Excel Airways mainline B-737-800 fleet, followed by the customer & inflight service training for the remainder of the course. As a Purser you will then go on to do your one week Seniors course usually with a line checker.
There is normally a break for about four weeks while you go out on line & do your check flights & get comfortable with the Excel B-737's & all the relevant procedures before going back into the training centre for your conversion onto Air Atlanta B-757 0r possibly B-767-200/300, its usually B-757 if your part time as I mentioned in my earlier reply to you.
This course is normally one week & you have to relearn a whole load of other SEP/SOP's & go through the evacuation drills, Fire & smoke & different call outs for the various emergency situations. It is a little confusing at first, but they are only slight variations to Excel's procedures & to be honest, I found Air Atlanta training & procedures very simple. You just need to read up a little before each flight so as not to get yourself confused when conducting the pre flight briefing. Then your out on line after your Air Atlanta check flight.
Good Luck & let us know how it go's:ok:

tia1
2nd Apr 2005, 17:37
Hiya,

I to am a parent of a 6 month old and am loving it! I have a job with BA waiting for me in September when myboy will be one, they very kindly kept it open for me. But I'm thinking now I may have to give it up as it will be full time and I really don't want to work comit myself to full time just yet so I'm also considering Excel as main crew as there p/t structure is great. Only thing I'm worried about is salary, how much would I be expected to earn a month as main crew, ans is there much chance of promotion to senior?

emmathestar
4th Apr 2005, 10:46
im working for excel- be warned there communication in that company isnt what it should be!!!

and trolly dollies i agree is poo!!!

CCMNo1
4th Apr 2005, 11:14
What do you mean about communication? I have my interview today - any tips?

emmathestar
4th Apr 2005, 14:33
i meant when i was training they couldnt organise a piss up in a brewary! that was lgw so may be different elsewhere!

dont wana slag them off as they are a cool company but i think there a bit hipocritical of communication! im sure u'll find out!

CCMNo1
6th Apr 2005, 10:19
I GOT THE JOB - i am so delighted!

emmathestar
6th Apr 2005, 16:14
Congrats! xxx;)

DELTABOY
6th Apr 2005, 23:07
Hey well done!
I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Happy Flying & Best of luck!;)

Pandora's Box
8th Apr 2005, 16:16
Congrats CCMNo1:ok:

DELTABOY........Yes I probably did look bored, hence why I fell asleep...lol;)
Been flying years CHUCK, even before the Excel interview. I would'nt dream of a career change, just did'nt like the sound of the company:zzz: