PDA

View Full Version : Home network Eureka!!!! Common problem cure found

R4+Z
30th Mar 2005, 09:45
This could be of particular interest to Tonic Please and 5milesbaby

We were discussing a problem where having set up a home network, tried all the filesharing arrangements, turned off all firewalls and run all the wizards. One computer could be seen by the other but not vise versa.

Well with the utmost thanks to this web site http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm

And in particular this Item

The RestrictAnonymous registry value
You have both the following symptoms:
• You can ping the computer by IP and by name.
• When you type on another computer, replacing computername with the name of the inaccessible computer:
net view \\computername
you get one of the various "Error 5" error messages, like "System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied" or "Error 5: You do not currently have access to this file. ..."
This is in some cases caused by a registry setting named RestrictAnonymous. Go to the computer which you cannot access, start a registry editor and change the following registry value.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\SYSTEM
\CurrentControlSet
\Control
\Lsa
Value name: RestrictAnonymous
Value type: DWORD
If the value is 1 or even 2, change it to 0, reboot and retest. If the problem is solved, leave the value at zero. If not, you can change it back if you like.
Check immediately afterwards and again after a reboot, whether the value changes back to non-zero on its own. If that happens, then you have to find the culprit, which can be spyware, a worm, or a badly designed security program. You can try to disable programs and services and retry until you find out which one is responsible. One known Trojan that changes this value (and also some network access policies) calls itself mcafee32.exe, trying to pose as the antivirus program of that name.
Background: RestrictAnonymous controls whether null sessions, sessions that work without any authentication and use the permissions of the groups Everyone and NETWORK, are allowed (value 0) or disallowed (value 1). The value 2 is obsolete for Windows XP.
Don't mistake this for the value named restrictanonymoussam, which controls null session SAM account name listings.

My network now works as it should.

I hope this is of help to all those others who are rapidly going bald trying to get round this problem.

:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

Basil
31st Mar 2005, 09:18
R4+Z
You are hereby awarded at least the Basil if not the entire PPRuNe
:D Computer Network Star First Class :D

er, ps - How do I get my WiFi PDA to see them too?

5milesbaby
31st Mar 2005, 10:15
Thanks for trying that R4+Z, unfortunately my value is already zero so not that problem here. I've been talking to a computer whizz at work who has given me 3 things to try, so am about to engage the task - I'll keep you all updated.....

5milesbaby
31st Mar 2005, 11:41
FIXED IT!!!

I had two problems going on, both now sorted and both to do with firewalls!!

The first was the router firewall that needed temporarily disconnecting and the restarting once the connection between the two harddrives had been made (letting it know that the connection existed and could be used), and the second was that the laptop needed putting in the Zonelabs "trusted" zone on the main computer, something I thought had already happenned!

To anyone else trying to create a network that has had troubles like the rest of us have, I started by disconnecting the modem/router from the internet/phone line, shutting down every program running especially the firewalls and anti-virus programs on both, making the connection through the network wizard and checking I was able to transfer files, transferred a big bulk of files then turned on the firewalls and anti-virus's in turn to see which one stopped the transfer. Hey presto, we have one very happy PPRuNer again.

Thanks to everyone that has helped in this thread and the others I've started/contributed to, it makes PPRuNing all the more worth while, what would we do without it. ;)

5mb :ok:

R4+Z
1st Apr 2005, 07:29
Basil

Unfortunately I am just a persistent amateur and don't know anything about WiFi. Maybe when I can afford to upgrade my PDA I'll dig out the info.

:) :) :D

Tonic Please
1st Apr 2005, 19:16
Excellent!!

Well I tried :sad: :O

Happy sharing and nice one R4+Z.

Dan.