PDA

View Full Version : Christian fundamentalists picking on Harry Potter...

Vortex what...ouch!
30th Mar 2005, 01:33
Barking as a box of frogs....... Lucius Malfoy (meaning of bad/wrong faith, again this is misleading!), a respectably dressed family man with the pale hair and ethereal looks of an Angel, representing the Angel Gabriel of the Annunciation (Luke 1:31, but with the name of the fallen one in order to confuse Christian readers) gives the girl of a humble home, Ginny Weasley, the diary of Tom Riddle.

Full article here. (http://www.exposingsatanism.org/harrypotter2.htm)

Fruitloops the lot of them:\

Huron Topp
30th Mar 2005, 02:28
My first thought is...what in the world were you doing reading this tripe??

My second thought...
The worst product available to corrupt our youth was Potter's vibrating broomstick, now taken off the market under pressure of Christian parents because it taught young girls how to abuse themselves and awoke their interest in the sins of the flesh.
so thats what my daughters been up to!:E

reynoldsno1
30th Mar 2005, 03:32
An article by Lurlene Tyranna Shores
It's a wind up.... it's gotta be a wind up.... please say it is

If this lady is married and got divorced would she become Mr. Tyranna Shores' ex?

Wingswinger
30th Mar 2005, 05:38
They're harmless. It's the Islamofascists you should really worry about. They actually kill people you know (as well as persecuting Christians world-wide).

criticalmass
30th Mar 2005, 06:13
The Islamo-fascists will cut your head off. The Christian fundamentalists will burn you at the stake, given half the chance.

Your call.

Frankly, I'm beginning to think the agnostics might be on the right track.

oxygen on
30th Mar 2005, 06:45
Watch out next year when this movie comes out.

http://www.thebeastmovie.com/

A lot more barking to come.

1DC
30th Mar 2005, 06:51
Isn't this the same crowd who wanted the Tellytubbies banned in America because of their satanic undertones?

eal401
30th Mar 2005, 06:54
They actually kill people you know
The Christian maniacs would love to do that too, given half the chance.

Religion - the root of all evil.

Grainger
30th Mar 2005, 06:59
I have a friend who - quite seriously - refuses to let his children read the books, on the grounds that they are occult, voodoo etc.

Predictably, you can guess what the answer was when I asked him the obvious question - "Have you actually read any of them yourself ?"

:rolleyes:

Wingswinger
30th Mar 2005, 07:04
The Christian maniacs would love to do that too, given half the chance

Who are the "Christian maniacs" and what evidence do you have for this assertion?

eal401
30th Mar 2005, 07:28
"Christian maniacs"
Have you been reading the post?

As for the other bit, just my opinion. They did, after all, make various unpleasant threats to the BBC guy responsible for screening the Jerry Springer thing. These threats included his family.

Blacksheep
30th Mar 2005, 07:41
Weren't the Spanish Inquisition a bunch of Christian Fundamentalists?

I expect they've all gone into hiding now.

Not that anyone expects them of course. :hmm:

eal401
30th Mar 2005, 07:43
That Christian lot in the Crusades were not exactly angels either. (Mind you, the other side were not much better!)

XXTSGR
30th Mar 2005, 07:53
In a particularly distasteful and lewd display, Potter tries to tempt the rightfully furious Angel by raising his pant leg and showing him his nude ankle. In this way the Harry Potter books contribute to the hidden gay agenda.This has to be a wind-up. Doesn't it? :confused: :bored: :uhoh:

tony draper
30th Mar 2005, 08:07
Hidden gay agenda?? seems to me they are quite open about taking over the world.
With a bit of organisation we could get the gays to fight the christian fundies thus eliminating both to the great benifit of manking.
:rolleyes:
Anyway we can all stop worrying about everything, Jamie Oliver has arrived at 10 Downing street.

XXTSGR
30th Mar 2005, 08:16
Don't you be picking on Jamie Oliver. He has loads more integrity than the total muppet he's gone to visit.

Anyone who points out that schools spend less per meal feeding our youngsters than on prison inmates (including that worm Jonathan King) needs our support.

Furthermore, when he points out that kids are fed reconstituted meat, processed food loaded with E's, artificial flavouring, artificial preservatives, extra salt, artificial colouring etc. etc. and that we then wonder why kids have behavioural problems, he gets my vote.

tony draper
30th Mar 2005, 08:23
Tiz a reflection on the shallowness of times we live in, the last generation woke up to lead news stories such as
"Neil Armstrong has set foot on the Moon",
now what the **** do we get?
,"Jamie Oliver has arrived at 10 Downing Street"

:*

eal401
30th Mar 2005, 08:55
FFS Drapes, what about the reason he has gone to 10 Downing Street? I.e. to try and get schools to provide decent, healthy food for kids? Why is that so bad a thing to report?

BillHicksRules
30th Mar 2005, 08:56
Dear all,

I have to say "GOOD".

The books are rubbish. The films are worse. The hype is overwhelming. The author is pretentious, overbearing and annoying.

I disagree with those of a religious persuasion most of the time but if this is what it takes to get this bandwagon of mediocrity and crassness stopped then I am happy.

Cheers

BHR

eal401
30th Mar 2005, 09:08
The books are rubbish. The films are worse. The hype is overwhelming.
So, er, don't read the books or see the films? As for the hype, what a load of crap, just ignore it.

Hardly difficult.....is it?
The Exorcist
Unfortunately, this film is about as scary as a slightly damp sponge.

BillHicksRules
30th Mar 2005, 09:12
Dear all,

Please tell me that Wingswinger is trolling?

Cheers

BHR

BlueDiamond
30th Mar 2005, 09:15
... and showing him his nude ankle.
What is the world coming to ... and to what depths of depravity will we next sink? Open-necked shirts? Socks worn with sandals?

:uhoh:

Howard Hughes
30th Mar 2005, 09:23
Girlfriend,who is reading over my shoulder want's the debate to return to the important topic of the "vibrating broomstick"! And more importantly where she can obtain one!

Cheers, HH.

:ok:

PS: Aparently used is OK!! ewwwwww!!

ORAC
30th Mar 2005, 09:30
Winswinger These people seem to know about Christian Fanatics (http://www.now.org/nnt/winter-99/aborvio.html)

Howard Hughes
30th Mar 2005, 09:34
And you're wasting your time on a net forum???

Hence the need for a vibrating broomstick!!

Cheers, HH.

:ok:

Send Clowns
30th Mar 2005, 10:47
Not often I agree with BHR, but he is right in what he says. The christian fundamentalists might be completely ridiculous in this case, but the Harry Potter books are not especially well-plotted or well-written.

HandspringGuy
30th Mar 2005, 10:48
brewing of drugs made by boiling alive babies pulled from the earth, sexual congress with goats
...is that in the bonus deleted scenes section?

BillHicksRules
30th Mar 2005, 11:36
SC,

If my memory serves me correctly it has been many months since we last disagreed.

If we keep this up people will talk. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Cheers

BHR

Dead_Heading
30th Mar 2005, 11:59
With BHR and CS, badly written, poor plot and very repetitive IMHO (THIS coming from a Tom Clancy fan....) I'd start getting worried if my girlfriend asked for a vibrating broomstick, take it as an isnult to my, err, performance...

BillHicksRules
30th Mar 2005, 12:05
DH/SC,

Have either of you read any of Dan Browns "work"?

I have to say I see them as adult Harry Potters.

All hype and no substance.

I will say that the one good thing in respect to DB and JKR are that they have managed to get people who would not normally pick up a book, reading.

Cheers

BHR

Send Clowns
30th Mar 2005, 12:06
Damn, you're right :sad: Have to find some manufactured dusagreement :suspect:

:p

lexxity
30th Mar 2005, 12:14
Where did you find the article, it is honestly the funniest thing I've read in ages!! Right I'm off to see what else is the devil.....

It was with fear and a great sense of shame and guilt that I touched the cover of a Harry Potter book for the first time, and then forced myself to sit through the movies. For weeks I had prayed and asked for guidance, and I hope it was God's will that I did, and saw with my own eyes what is foisted upon the eyes and minds of our children.

as for that quote, if this is honestly the worst thing you have to "pray" about then you are worrying about the wrong things in life.

BillHicksRules
30th Mar 2005, 12:23
SC,

"Have to find some manufactured dusagreement"

NO WE DO NOT!!!!!

Cheers

BHR;) ;)

eal401
30th Mar 2005, 12:26
then forced myself to sit through the movies
So, you are against the principle of the movies yet watch all of them?

What a dozy prat. He is doing more damage to Christians than George W Bush.

Grandpa
30th Mar 2005, 14:59
...isn't so bad literature.

At the beginning of sellings, I was so horrified by advertisments pouring from every media, I refused to read it............but had to buy one for a young boy who never read, and surprisingly he was so seduced by HP that he red all volumes.

At the bookshop, I was discussing with other customers and one of them ( he teaches literature) told HP was one of the best books for children he had ever red.

Then I felt I had to read it, and believe me or not, I appreciated the story, humour and adventure at every page.

I won't say I'm ready to read each and every new volume of HP, but in my opinion it's worth reading for preteens.

Same with the film (seen only one).

SmilingKnifed
30th Mar 2005, 16:39
Now look who you've woken up! Richard Littlejohn's less tolerant brother!

We're going to hell in a handcart eh Tony?;)

answer=42
30th Mar 2005, 20:53
Why is it commonly accepted transport to go to hell in a handcart? Why not use, for example, a tristar, 727, A-300B or Yak-42? I think that all the above are effective forms of transport to hell and have the advantage that they make more noise than the average handcart.

BombayDuck
31st Mar 2005, 02:53
Send Clowns and BHR,

The books are not well written, I agree. But thats for YOU.

These books were written for the average 12 year old kid to understand, not the 20-100 year old age group that most of us belong to. Please dont expect the books to be as Shakespearean as the bard himself or as complex and intertwined as Tolkein's works....

Look at it from the kids POV - it has magic, kids getting into the same troubles (mischief, etc) that they get into and all the pranks and all...

I dont read Enid Blyton today - but I sure as hell loved them in school!

Let the books be what they were meant to be - for kids. All the hype generated is not by the author, she is just taking advantage of it - like anyone who does anything for a commercial reason would do.

Blacksheep
31st Mar 2005, 02:56
like anyone who does anything for a commercial reason would do.
You mean she's not doing it for the sake of art? :ooh:

Wingswinger
31st Mar 2005, 05:07
All,

Go to www.spectator.co.uk (http://). Register and read lead article "Church of martyrs" to understand what is behind it. Cheers.

eal401
31st Mar 2005, 06:35
These books were written for the average 12 year old kid to understand, not the 20-100 year old age group that most of us belong to.
Come on, you don't expect an intelligent comment like that to get you anywhere do you?

BombayDuck
31st Mar 2005, 06:55
granted, eal, the average age of most of us in JB (including myself, wholeheartedly) is south of 10, but still..... :E

eal401
31st Mar 2005, 07:00
You know what I mean BombayDuck! People who slag off the readability of a book that was never originally intended for their age group are IMO pretty thick.

BillHicksRules
31st Mar 2005, 07:04
Eal,

I think those who think that those who slag off a kiddies book, do not know it is a kiddies book, are kinda thick. :) :) :)

Cheers

BHR

P.S. I think that there are several authors more deserving of the praise being heaped on Mrs Rowling, for instance Philip Pullman.

Send Clowns
31st Mar 2005, 07:46
Course not, BHR, though I will have to learn to type :\

Bomb-bay Duck

There is no reason that 12 year olds should be required to be presented with massive plot holes, inconsistencies, and plain laziness in unsubtle writing. I wasn't saying it was especially poor, I have read little literature for this age group since I was in it (Philip Pulman being the exception, and certainly superior to the Potter books), but that it was not worth the hype it has been given. The series is hyped as being suitable for adult reading as well as children, certainly aimed higher than 12, so BHR's comments are fair. She can be a bit smug as he says.

ihoharv
2nd Apr 2005, 05:13
Wingswinger - I don't disagree that Islamofascists pose a hugely greater threat to the society that you and I cherish, but at the same time let's not be blind to their "Fundie" equivalents.

Expat Brit living in the USA here. Love it, and wouldn't change. However, the rise of a wannabee Theocracy is becoming clearer to see every year, and is catered to by the current administration. That was what the whole Schiavo "congress back to DC" thing was about.

The rants of the Christian extremists against non-substantive issues such as Harry Potter are very telling and plentiful - (Teletubbies/SpongeBob/"blue-laws", etc.). it is a fact that Doctors who perform abortion are murdered by these people. Homosexuals are murdered in the name of Christ (grant you that Islam isn't more merciful on that one although the practice is definitely commonplace...).

You don't have it - yet - in the UK, but you may well. The efforts of the Conservatives to probe how vote-lucrative this may be are only starting to become a little clearer, notwithstanding the Rev. Blair's sermons. The one thing I am starting to despair of in this country is the merging of religion and politics - I think you end up with the worst facets of both - and it's on the way to you.

FlyMD
2nd Apr 2005, 13:51
Just a thought:

Admitting I die tomorrow, slide straight to hell, and the-one-with-the-forked-tail gives me a choice of 3 books, one of which I have to read for all eternity:

1. Harry Potter

2. The Bible

3. Any Airbus AFM

Don't know about you guys, but I would have to sit down and think her out... (especially since none of the three really stands out above the 2 others for either factual accuracy, fluent prose or entertainment value...)

Shall we have a polll?

reynoldsno1
3rd Apr 2005, 06:14
Any of these available in braille ? (though I'm sure I'll meet Onan in the departure lounge, and he'll have a portfolio of importamt literature)

answer=42
3rd Apr 2005, 20:11
assuming that you are in the departure lounge with a confirmed one-way ticket to t'other place. what aircraft / airline is going to show up to take you there? And will there be a delay, due wx?

chuks
4th Apr 2005, 06:34
My last brush with the strong of faith and weak of mind was passing a group of picketers outside 'The Life of Brian' in Charlotte, North Carolina many moons ago. There was this pie-faced lady carrying a poster reading 'They are making fun of our Lord and Savior'.

All I could think was, 'No madam; they are making fun of people like you and me,' but decided not to have a sidewalk debate. I was out-numbered and felt that my superior logic and reason might not carry the day in the face of their superior numbers. Too there is sometimes the odd Muscular Christian there, ready to make someone else pay for their beliefs.

We had this one character out at the airport who always pitched up in surplus Army fatigues with a little gold cross on the baseball cap. He was the owner's son, so that no one would run him off but none of us were ready either to have a chat about what might be going through his head since he looked a bit frightening.

Every so often the US scene flips over, when the rest of us get a good look at what is going on under that big, flat rock. Harry Potter promoting satanism, that tele-tubby promoting faggotry (the one who carried a purse, of course), signs of the End Time a-comin´ on strong, George W. Bush cultivating the Xtian right as a path to political power, etc., etcetera. It can get pretty deeply weird.

The US right-wing scene is so isolated that they usually don't realize they are running with one set of wheels in the ditch, just idly wondering why the rest of the world is shouting and waving. Some take that for applause and the rest for unjustified criticism. Why, I myself was accused of anti-Americanism by a prominent California political commentator of the right-wing persuasion. I found that pretty amusing, thinking that if I am anti-, where does that leave non-citizens who really have a problem with the USA?

Then I was having a chat not that long ago with a rather ebullient, Irish-American, semi-permanent fixture on the Lagos scene who was attempting to explain to me after a few too many drinks how superior fire-power was going to be the way forward to peace and understanding in the world. As in, pick you up with a Predator targeting drone and transform you into a greasy spot with 100 rounds of 30 mm. solid shot if someone back at Langley, Virginia doesn't like the cut of your jib. It all seemed a bit harsh, somehow, and a possible waste of valuable munitions, but not having voted for any of this I didn't really feel all that qualified to comment.

So laugh if you like but these right-wing, nutters really aren't joking when they set off baying on the trail of Harry Potter, the tele-tubbies or even some innocent who prefers to wear a dish-dash. And, no, of course they don't need to read any of the books before condemning them!

Grandpa
4th Apr 2005, 07:33
...Hu?

Sorry! It WAS ( according to Umberto's book....)