PDA

View Full Version : disc cleanup prob

jimgriff
29th Mar 2005, 21:00
If I envoke the disk cleanup utility it starts as normal and then stops and asks me if I want to send an error report to MS. If I do it does send and then switches off the disk cleanup ute. Any hints or tips?

Have tried in safe mode with same results.
win XP pro.

BLUE SKY THINKER
29th Mar 2005, 21:24
(?) Why not experiment with turning off Error Reporting: Start > Control Panel > System > Advanced (tab) > Error Reporting (bottom right) > Disable Error Reporting (tick box below, personal option, but maybe worth trying both checked/unchecked for this test).

jimgriff
31st Mar 2005, 19:45
Thanks BST...Tried that ...no go. Still wont work.
Anyone else got a suggestion?

Tonic Please
1st Apr 2005, 19:25
Try this:

1. Click Start, click Run, type: %temp%, and then click OK to open the Temp folder.
2. In the Temp folder, on the Edit menu, click Select All, press the DELETE key, and then click Yes to confirm that you want to send all the items to the Recycle Bin.
3. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Internet Options.
4. On the General tab, click Delete Files.
5. Click to select the Delete all offline content check box, and then click OK.
6. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
7. Right-click the drive that you want to clean, and then click Properties.
8. Click Disk Cleanup to run the Disk Cleanup tool again.

Dan

jimgriff
2nd Apr 2005, 17:36
Thankx Dan
Managed to clear out manually the temp file etc. But the disc cleanup still throws a wobbler!!

When I cleared out the temp internet files as you described it came up with a RUNDLL error "an exception occured........etc

this could be the prob...but I have no ide how to fix.
I know it is not a serious prob, but I would like to fix it

Tonic Please
2nd Apr 2005, 22:23
Crikey. Well in the meantime I'll do my best to think of other methods, factoring in the RUNDLL error. I'm sure that you will inform when/if a solution arises!

Dan.

I had a look at Microsoft just to confirm of a procedure I know about, and have copied it as to a) save me doing it coz im knackered! and b) it\'s probably clearer and saves me making any errors.

I\'ll take the glory if it works though :} :} :ok:

Warning: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft (and tonic :O ) cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To work around this problem, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. Type regedit in the Open box, and then press ENTER.

3. Locate, and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVer sion\\Explorer\\VolumeCaches

4. On the File menu, click Export, and then click Desktop, type VolumeCaches in the File name box, and then click Save.

Note This step creates a backup of the VolumeCaches registry key. If you experience any problems after you complete the steps that are listed in this procedure, you can use this backup to restore the VolumeCaches key to its original state. To restore the key, double-click the VolumeCaches.reg file on your desktop, and then click Yes.

5. Expand the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVer sion\\Explorer\\VolumeCaches

6. Delete the Compress old files registry key.

7. Quit Registry Editor.

It\'s easy when you follow it :) Its an XP Pro procedure so will work in accordance with your system. The reason Im suggeating this is because Disk CLeanup normally only stops when it has trouble with specific files, and compressed files (seeing as the temp folder thing ddnt work) are another type. We'll get there in the end..

Dan.

jimgriff
3rd Apr 2005, 17:25
Thanks Dan.
Tried all that and NO, nothing is different.
It still hangs on compress old files stage of disk cleanup....
Boo Hoo!!

Jim

Tonic Please
5th Apr 2005, 14:11
Thats unreal. How can that not solve the problem, its removing exactly why its hanging. (Don't answer me it was a rhetorical mutter) :} Are you sure you did all the reboots etc...?

What about this...

1) Run disk defrag first. Then try cleanup.

or

1) Go to My Computer and right click on the C: Drive
2) Go to properties
3) Make sure that the "COMPRESS DRIVE TO SAVE DISK SPACE" is unticked.

or

1) Run regedit, move to the top of the hives (to My Computer) Press Ctrl-F (Find) and type "Compress Old" (no quotes) When regedit finds the offending key (its highlighted blue), press the Delete key and Enter.

GOod luck :)

jimgriff
7th Apr 2005, 15:50
still not working..........:confused:

Tonic Please
8th Apr 2005, 00:39
Utterly unreal. I'm afraid all of my (quite complex) suggestions have failed and can only but suggest a call to Microsoft. I expect you'll get most of mine as options though, so you could speed the process by telling them all that hasd been done.

Gobsmacked :confused: :(