PDA

View Full Version : Naples Air Center in July

RexBanner
29th Mar 2005, 17:42
Right to cut a long story short, I'm off to Naples in July (21st) for four weeks to do my PPL. I'm hoping to get it done in 3 weeks so I can have one week of theme-parking!

So anyone who wants to do the whole Disney, Universal studios, Sea World thing and is there at the same time as me, feel free to drop me a private message or email. As you can probably tell I'm a pretty chilled out cool guy and get on with everyone.

Oh and I'm 24, which doesn't exactly explain why I want to go to Disney World.

Nick

VisaGeeza
29th Mar 2005, 18:22
Well, the PPL in July is likely to take more than three weeks what with the high heat index and the thunderstorms in the afternoons and then you plan to do "the whole Disney, Universal studios, Sea World thing" in a week? Problem there is that Disney isn't open 24 hrs a day!

Keygrip
29th Mar 2005, 18:34
...but with a bit of thought, and a reservation in a Disney hotel, it is open for 16 hours a day - and there will be bits that you don't particularly want to see....like the Country Bear Jamboree, Cinderellabration or Sleeping Beauty (I'm guessing).

You HAVE to see the fireworks in the Magic Kingdom and in Epcot (it's Florida law, or at least, should be).

Mandatory Rides: Epcot - Mission:Space and Test Track and Soarin (the latter of which isn't yet open - will be in two weeks). Magic Kingdom - Space Mountain, Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain. MGM Studios - Rockin RollerCoaster and Tower of Terror (should also catch Indiana Jones show).

Have to say - the parks can be a bit pricey - there are deals to be had (try www.mousesavers.com for tickets).

Send me a P.M. with your questions.

Having said all that - I trust you will be arriving in Florida having already passed all your PPL written exams and the R/T test!!

Three weeks at that time of year is not an easy call. You fly into Orlando or Miami?

prunster
29th Mar 2005, 18:52
The fact that you're from Jersey explains why you want to visit the theme parks even if your age doesn't!!!

VisaGeeza
29th Mar 2005, 19:33
Keygrip, Is it permitted post 9/11 to fly through the laser display at Epcot? That was one of the highlights of Florida flying for me!

<<edit: Disney has a "Temporary Flight Restriction" around it - permanantly. (Go figure - it's not me that thinks these names up).

The TFR is based, I believe (though I've never measured it accurately) on a three mile radius centred on the Magic Kingdom - or near enough.

Elevation goes to 3,000 feet amsl. You can, however, fly through the zone if in contact with Orlando Approach on 119.40 mHz. The story is that it's a security thing - but the locals know that it's just to stop aerial advertisers banner towing across Disney property. Interesting to note that the zone doesn't include SeaWorld or Universal Studios.

The short answer to your question, I suppose, is "Yes" (if you really want to).>>

davey147
29th Mar 2005, 20:03
Hi Nick,

I highly recommend Disney, I did the same thing last year.

But a word of warning, if you can bring your training dates forward, because you will not get your PPL done in 3 weeks in July, it will be hard to do in 4. Thunderstorms roll in every afternoon, so you get next to no flying done. If you go in the dry season, November to May, you can easily get it done in 3 weeks (i did)

Im going back this May, to do further training.

PM me if you need further info.

Dave

captmav
30th Mar 2005, 15:47
KUNGALOOSH..!! ;)

and I promise you, there are people out there who know what I'm talking about.

Have fun,

VisaGeeza
30th Mar 2005, 16:16
And after a couple of pints of Kungaloosh you won't need wings to fly!

2/3 bottle Blackberry Brandy
2/3 bottle White Rum (Castillo)
2/3 bottle Captain Morgan's spiced rum
128 ounces liquid strawberry daiquiri mix
128 oz orange juice
1/2 gallon water

Put all in 5 gallon bucket and freeze.

RexBanner
30th Mar 2005, 16:21
I fly into Miami, probably, although I haven't already booked so I'm gonna be stung big time with the ticket. To be honest I'm a bit unsure about the weather, is it really that bad that time of year? I could bring it forward by about 3 weeks or so but that's about it.

VisaGeeza
30th Mar 2005, 18:34
Thunderstorms a problem? No, they keep the dust down and provide a spectacular lighting display:uhoh: June is preferable if you only like your flesh cooked medium. If you prefer well done then July and August is the time to go. ba.com are currently quoting £579.00 round trip price to Miami incl. taxes.

Good luck!

davey147
30th Mar 2005, 21:12
Ive always found the best way to get to Florida is via New York. Ive got a return fligh to JFK for £280 + $80 JetBlue flight to Fort Myers. Always works out alot cheaper.

NACGS
30th Mar 2005, 21:59
Weather in July in Florida.... its not bad at all!! . We are only just really at the beginning of summer in July, remember the hottest month will be August, and late August and September is when we see the majority of the thunderstorms.

You will find some Ts's in July, mainly nocturnal ones, so you will see them at sunset and early morning ( on your way back from the pub ) .

If there are Ts's during the afternoon they are isolated well separated cells, and mainly like to sit in the middle of the state over the everglade swamps, so they are avoidable, and there is wide well defined holes that you can easily slip thru to cross from coast to coast. Or you just fly a little north or south and there will be a end to the airmass causing them and you simply fly around them. The cells also come and go pretty much the way the text books say the should, 1-2 hrs and its all over.

Its also not too hot, you will find the daily temp in the low 30's, humidity around 80% , but of course you will initially feel like it 100 degrees and 100% humidity!

Airfares.... try also flights into Detroit or Chicago( www.united.com for ORD) . Leaving from Gatwick if you are from the UK also saves money. Try www.Delta.com or www.Continental.com and both will get you to Fort Myers(RSW) . These three airlines will also get your to RSW with 1-2 hops in the USA.

Keygrip
30th Mar 2005, 22:42
If the Disney trip is a reality for your plans - though think very carefully -then consider looking at the 'bucket&spade' flights into Orlando Sanford. Then rent a car for your journeys to Naples and back - maybe keep it for the first three weeks at least.

Buddy of mine just found a 14 night flight only (granted it is for April) for £229. Orlando Sanford to Naples by car - what do you think Chris? $ hours - maybe 4½. Not much more than the greyhound bus from Miami to Naples.

Charlie Zulu
31st Mar 2005, 14:06
Ta Chris,

I'm having difficulty in finding any reasonably priced flights to Miami or Fort Myers via wherever any US carrier would like to go via for less than £650-£700 on the 16th of July (3 week trip). If I'm going to be paying that price I might as well get a flight directly into APF (Naples). Do the commuter airlines serve Naples once again?

I'll look into those possibilities though.

A good tip for those near a Holiday Hypermarket type of place in the UK... a little tip from the travel agent who booked mine last year was to ask them to look at the Virgin Vacations system (Fly Drive packages). You don't have to take the car option and the flights (LHR - MIA direct with VS) are generally cheaper. I've already checked that option and its a no go for me. Grrrrr.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

PS. I took delivery of the I20M form today, ta.

NACGS
31st Mar 2005, 14:15
Delta fly into Naples in CRJ's year round a couple of times a day. There is also Continental, but those flights stop for the summer season on May 1....

Try also Pauls suggestion of the rental car, or even the greyhound from Orlando down.

Chris

Charlie Zulu
31st Mar 2005, 14:25
Argh the Greyhound was bad enough from Miami to Naples!!!!

Especially waiting at the bus depot at Miami Airport from 7pm to 10:30pm. If I am going to do that again then I'll wait at the airport terminal until a little closer to bus departure.

Orlando to Naples? Mmmm I don't think I could stand everyone snoaring on the bus for more than three hours. :D

Excellent, Good, reliable, on time and CHEAP though.

Ninety-Nines
2nd Apr 2005, 01:00
Having completed this trip a couple of times in the last six months ....each time anywhere from 3.5 to just under 4 hours using I-17.....the scenic route!

I would defintely recommend renting a car from either Miami or Sanford.......although I think that Delta/Jet Blue are the best option connecting from Atlanta/New York/Washington to Naples or Fort Myers.