PDA

View Full Version : Salary raises in dubai

runkelj
29th Mar 2005, 17:16
Just came back from a round of golf with some company owners from dubai. They all plan salary increases for their workers (low qualified jobs) at 15 to 20 percent to keep their companies running smoothly as prices are spiraling here. So, a foreman's salary in small machining company already compares to EK FO. So, interestingly enough, there are some managers who are not blinded by greed and look a bit far into the future. Or maybe they are the real managers?!

RINGAdingding
30th Mar 2005, 10:01
AND?????

that means absolutely nothing to EMIRATES!!!

Payscale
31st Mar 2005, 09:24
Stick to golf my friend! Did you ever look in gulf news appointments section. To give you an idea, and civil engineer goes for around 5000 DHS. There is a looong way to to 16000 plus 95000 pa rent money for an EK SFO.
Yes we are under paid. But not compared to a shop foreman.

Tee time now....

Sandwedgie
31st Mar 2005, 11:20
Looks like some EK drivers lost touch with reality there a little...
Might be that after all they are still overpaid and underworked...
The most nosiy one maybe....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Check 'Six'
31st Mar 2005, 13:19
So who else should we compare ourselves with? What a load of rubbish!

Sandwedgie
31st Mar 2005, 16:55
:ok:
Exactly my point. Some guys in EK still think how much they earn in Dubai terms. They should have a look at the average expected salary table in "Setting in Dubai" enterpreneur handbook!!

And the effects of the new salary scam is already showing effects. Basically same No. of buses and same number of drivers as befor dec04, but now they struggle to crew them. Sure, if I cannot make overtime, beach and pub is more like it, I guess.

Payscale
1st Apr 2005, 17:20
Check Six

You may want to compare yourself to a shop keeper. Thats great, cause you will be the richest shop manager in town. I prefere to compare my salary to other expat airlines. By that standard we are not paid that well. Especially when we dont have a representation in management.

Now go and sell some oranges ;)

Fox two

Check 'Six'
2nd Apr 2005, 10:58
Shopkeepers are business people working for themselves! They dont have a boss, they are the boss! Therefore, they fall into a different category, one that will probably produce more wealth than me and you put together.

Bottom line, you have to learn to compare apples with apples and not oranges. Otherwise you end up with a carrots, know what I mean?;)

ekpilot
2nd Apr 2005, 14:22
For all new joiners, the pilot salaries will never be raised unless there is a company wide raise. So for all of you thinking that we are 20% under the drag curve, forget it! At best there will be the 3% incremental step 'awarded' as part of this years announcement. There will be the usual 'We are the employer of choice' speech at this year's annual report briefing, there will be dissapointment with the bonus and there will be no 'difficult' questions asked of the board of Directors. More importantly, no one will resign.

2nd Apr 2005, 15:30
almost right ekpilot

I think there will be a company wide 5% payrise in recogition of the cost of living increase and to reward the hard work done by the employees which unfortunately resulted in no profit share.

The catch being that we pilots have a "contractual" (as far as anything at EK is contractual) 3% increment, which we should always receive provided our performance review stipulates that we have been good boys. That leaves us with an actual 2% increase above and beyond what we would have got, when the rest of the company receives a 5% increase, above and beyond their "contractual" entitlement.

But at the end of the day, that has to be better than getting nothing.

Heated, offensive language removed.

SecurID
2nd Apr 2005, 16:44
And why not 6100? It's already happened before... :mad:

Payscale
3rd Apr 2005, 16:55
Check \six..... u must be some kind of fruitcake.;)

Check 'Six'
4th Apr 2005, 00:43
He He He. Thanks Pay, you got me!:ok:

All the best to all of us, as we await our fate!!:E

Wiley
4th Apr 2005, 01:06
I’m one of the usually silent majority within Emirates who isn’t usually ‘manning the Pprune barricades’ complaining about the company. I’m one of the happier campers who finds that, on the whole, I’m relatively happy with life in Dubai and with the company.

However, since I’m told EK senior management reads every word about Emirates that’s printed on this site, and since I’m not brave enough to put my name to the following complaints in a letter Capt Stealey - (which might say a lot about the ‘shoot the messenger’ ethos that’s sadly part and parcel of living in this part of the world) – I’ll make one comment here.

As has been mentioned above by ‘6100’, the last time Emirates staff received a pay rise, all staff, across the board, received a 5% pay rise.

…except the pilots, who received their contractual 3% annual increment plus a 2% pay rise.

This was sold to us by the management of the day as a 5% pay rise. (“2% + 3% = 5%. Got that, children?)

Given the cost of living increases in Dubai over the last few years, one might be forgiven for hoping that Emirates will follow the lead of the Dubai Government in granting a pay rise to its staff this May. (I’m not so stupid as to think any such pay rise would be more than one quarter of the 20% pay rise Government workers received, but anything would be welcome, particularly to those watching their home currencies ever rising against the USD and therefore the Dirham.)

Should such a pay rise be in the offing, I would ask that if management includes the annual increment as part of the pay rise again, they be honest with the pilots and not insult our intelligence as they did on the last occasion. Tell us honestly that, since they are receiving “25 applications a day” from pilots wishing to join Emirates, they can afford to be honest with us and tell us to our faces that market forces allow them to give us a smaller pay rise than the rest of the company staff.

Should they do so, some pilots will (of course) not be happy, but I believe the vast majority will applaud the fact that we are at last being treated like adults with enough intelligence to see through such sleights of hand as this, along with the “cost neutral” new rostering system.

Shake
4th Apr 2005, 09:39
I am not sure that even if EK is honest & treat us like adults it would still be OK to be given such a derisory offer as suggested, if indeed one does actually make it out of the office.

5% doesn't come close to addressing local inflation and the massive erosion in pay & the provident fund due to current exchange rates.

We've earnt the money; we are working much harder & therefore assume that our productivity is up. We continue to cope with extensions to waivers, factored hours (Rumour Buster: 'still talking to the GCAA'...meanwhile still in force), exemptions, all at a time of 'record profits'...

As for constantly being told how many pilots are waiting in the wings; EK may have 25 applicants a day (mmm) but the number of pilots who are 'suitable' and who actually make it for the interviews and the number who 'actually' take up a job offer give a more 'honest' picture of what is actually going on.

Honesty requires trust...there seems very little of either here.

Check 'Six'
4th Apr 2005, 20:21
Wiley and Shake.

A very well put statement from both of you.

Furthermore, if all these applicants are inondating our recruitment friends why is it that on the Airbus Fleet, we are 20 Captains short? Why were Training Captains (15) asked to go back to the line or resign a month ago? And know all of a sudden we need more pilots and instructors back in full force?

Dear EK management, please stop your messing about and lets get serious for a change. Yes we are a profit making airline and long may it last! Now put some serious money on the table and stabilise the roster short comings!

Check Six.

Fox three for "Payscale" :E

Payscale
5th Apr 2005, 07:09
Where are all these new pilots????

I got home the other day at 2 am, looking forward to 4 days off. At 9 am crew control (what kind of title is that anyway CREW CONTROL!!!) wake me up just to ask if I fancy to fly on my days off! Have some respect. No I dont want to fly when I am trying to catch up on sleep deprivation.
What was it anyway? 800 dhs for a call out. I can make more my by playing pool at my local place. :suspect:

Macaroon
5th Apr 2005, 16:39

I work in 'the rest of the company' and didn't get anywhere near a 5% payrise last year. If the same is true this year I'll move on as it simply won't be financially viable to live here.

NCC-1701
5th Apr 2005, 21:01
Macaroon

You are correct. Only the pilots have a "contractual" 3% annual increase or increment.

All other EK staff get whatever that year brings, based on the EK or government of DXB interpretation of local inflation (which never exceeds 2 %). Most staff got only 2% max last year and not anywhere near the pilot 5% (3% contractual increment + 2% increase).

Interestingly, the Khaleej Times today reported the following:
=============

5 April 2005

ABU DHABI - The President, His Highness Shaikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, has ordered a salary hike for UAE nationals and resident expatriates working in UAE federal ministries as well as in government departments in the Abu Dhabi emirate. "The hike, which will be effective from May 1, will include civilian and military personnel working in federal ministries and local government departments of the Abu Dhabi emirate," it was announced here on Tuesday.

According to the presidential order, UAE nationals working in federal government institutions will receive a 25 per cent increase on their basic salary, whereas non-UAE nationals will get a 15 per cent hike. As he ordered the decision, Shaikh Khalifa expressed his hope that the move would ensure decent living conditions for UAE nationals as well as expatriates.

=============

The cost of living in Abu Dhabi must be really expensive? UAE Nationals get a 25% increase, Expats 15%, meanwhile in DXB, EK pilots get at least 3% per their contract, and if the rest of the company are lucky, they will get 2% to offset the "official" inflation in DXB.

Fun in the sun!

davidletterman
5th Apr 2005, 22:05
...if the altzheimers does not fail me, did not the engineers get a 15% raise last year?

:yuk:

trynottoguess
5th Apr 2005, 22:41
Please stop talking about the contractural 3%, there is no such thing at EK as a contract. It is a statement of intent from them which is liable to change as and when THEY like. A contract is between both partys, this is definitely not the case as shown by EK. Sorry wrong site again FACT not Rumour.

guybrush
6th Apr 2005, 01:40
Why do UAE nationals get a higher hike? Are the expats paid higher salaries or something?

If all you EK pilots are angry with EK management, why don't you tell them? It won't do much help by posting here. Is it possible to form a union there to keep your rights? Is it legal to strike?...Still you will all look weird if you decide to strike in Dubai...

Cheers :ok:
guybrush

turtleneck
6th Apr 2005, 04:34
“Shaikh Khalifa expressed his hope that the move would ensure decent living conditions for UAE nationals as well as expatriates.”
Consequently anything less would leave other residents with lower, not to say indecent, living conditions, according his Highness. Up to Emirates now to show their true appreciation of it’s working force.

uplock
6th Apr 2005, 05:34
I thought this would have been discussed but interesting to see that DNATA has now become a Government Corporation

Announced in the Gulf News here on the 23rd Marchhttp://www.gulfnews.com/Articles/BusinessNF.asp?ArticleID=157472 ( http://www.gulfnews.com/Articles/BusinessNF.asp?ArticleID=155874

Business | Aviation

Published: 23/3/2005, 07:22 (UAE)

Dnata becomes government corporation

By Awad Khairi, Staff Reporter

Dubai: Dnata now enjoys full financial and administrative independence after being converted into a public corporation known as Dnata Corp, company representatives said.

The ownership of the new corporation resides with the Government of Dubai. The new arrangements are contained in Decree No 3 (2005) issued by His Highness Shaikh Maktoum Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai.

The decree appoints Shaikh Ahmad Bin Saeed Al Maktoum, President of Dubai Civil Aviation and Chairman of Emirates Group, as chairman.

Additional selected highlights from the new arrangements are:

The new corporation has the capacity to sue and be sued, and may appoint anyone to represent it before any court.

The corporation provides catering services for aircraft, either from Dubai International Airport, or any other international airport outside Dubai's boundaries. It is also assigned to provide computer services for international airlines, companies and individuals. It organises recreational trips at special prices from Dubai. The corporation may own or rent buildings for the purpose of performing its activities.

Dnata alone provides passenger and cargo transportation services to international airlines operating in Dubai, including engineering and technical services. It may perform such activities in other airports outside Dubai.

The corporation may open other branches in and outside Dubai, and has full authority to found and/or own companies outside the UAE, or hold shares in them.

The corporation is represented and run by a chairman, appointed from time to time by the Government of Dubai.

The Government of Dubai is not responsible for any outstanding debts or dues payable by the corporation or the chairman to any other party.

The corporation is responsible for any mishaps attributable to the chairman in the discharge of his duties.

No party is allowed to seize, or publicly auction any property of the corporation by whatever legal power for the purpose of settling an outstanding debt owed to the corporation.

Dnata exercises activities performed by public sales agents and international shipping line agents in respect of transporting passengers and cargo. It also performs any other assignment related to such activities.

journeyman
6th Apr 2005, 05:49
Further to the lead article published in the Gulf News today, re salary increases for federal employees: they are quoted as saying this increase will include civilian and military personnel working in UAE federal ministries as well as in local government departments.

Surely this would have to include the parastatal Etihad as well, "the national airline of the UAE"?

fractional
27th Apr 2005, 06:16
Big Brother is watching, but it shouldn't "dent the reality on the ground". A country is sovereign and will do what it pleases. Previous recent history just proved it.
However, check this posting from the UAE based Khaleej Times:

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticle.asp?xfile=data/theuae/2005/April/theuae_April888.xml&section=theuae&col=

or chk www.khaleejtimes.com and go to the UAE News.
All the best.
Frax