PDA

View Full Version : footwear in emergency landings

bluesafari
29th Mar 2005, 12:46
Last year the aircraft I was travelling to New York in was involved in an emergency landing when it appeared that the nose leg was not locked down. During the preparations for the landing the ladies in the cabin staff were in stockinged feet having removed their high heels as per standard instructions, my question is why don't they have some flat shoes available for such an occasion? It was winter, with snow on the ground, and if there had to have been an emergency evacuation they would have been somewhat hampered once they got outside.

KTPops
29th Mar 2005, 16:35
My airline issues us with cabin shoes which are put on when we board the a/c and removed after the pax have disembarked. I think this is standard with the majority of long haul carriers, although maybe more for comfort than safety purposes.

I think that this safety issue is overlooked by the majority of short haul carriers (who don't issue flats as standard). I certainly wouldn't want to be evacuating an a/c in a pair of 3 inch heels, let alone my bare feet!:uhoh:

Whiskey Zulu
29th Mar 2005, 17:09
bizarre!!

The airline I work for pays a shoe allowance to c/c for flats & heels. For safety reasons, the c/c change into flat shoes as soon as they board the a/c.