PDA

View Full Version : Doubling up on security?

Cameronian
29th Mar 2005, 10:05
I have AVG (free version) antivirus, Ad-aware and my firewall is Zone Alarm. All seems to be working well, but that was what I thought while I used Norton - until it didn't!
My ADSL provider is packaging a security kit with McAffee antivirus and firewall. It's included in the price but I haven't activated it because of worries of a clash with what I already have on board.
It has now occurred to me that I believe their "kit" won't actually be downloaded to my PC but will operate at their end. Will this avoid the possibility of a clash? If so, should I apply the "belt and braces" approach and activate it?

Toxteth O'Grady
29th Mar 2005, 11:44
It's possible that they do virus scanning on their server, but thay won't can't run a firewall for you (apart from port blocking).

I guess it'll probably install on your PC. Try it. If it opens up an installer, cancel it. If you try to run 2 soft firewalls and AV products you'll get conflicts.

You're well protected as you are.

:cool:

TOG

Cameronian
29th Mar 2005, 23:49
Thanks a lot for that T o'G. The significance of the provision of a firewall hadn't struck me (well, it wouldn't, would it?!). I'll give it a shot while keeping my eye open for an installer. Cheers!