PDA

View Full Version : Did you have a nice Easter, what ya do?

Omaha
29th Mar 2005, 08:31
Well now that we're all back to work again, :{ I'm communicado again though after a long weekend well away from any computers. :ok:

My Easter was fairly tame, spent it in the wilds of Connemara, a minute on foot from the staff entrance of Connemara National Park :D in Letterfrack (which incidentally has a dark connotation too being associated with a former Christian brothers reformatory indeed some of the National Park & its now renovated visitor centre/offices formerly belonged to the reformatory (they were its farm buildings & infirmary), lovely to know such cruelty went on where now only beauty & enjoyment now exists. From what I could ascertain I was staying in the house where the Christian brothers used to live, what a legacy. :\ )

Unfortunately & not from lack of trying I couldn't get next nigh & near a boat, so if it wouldn't come to me I decided to go to it but when I endeavoured to hire a bike to cycle miles to one the flippin thing was crocked with dodgy gears & brakes so I had to return it & myself quickly intact. :ugh:

I met the most amazing people, one Swedish guy had cycled from Chile to the border of Alaska in the last two years, this time he had cycled from Sweden around eastern Europe to Spain, across to Morrocco, back into Spain, up through France into Ireland. He's now heading to northern Ireland & then he intends cycling up western Scotland, catching a boat to Shetland, then Iceland which he intends to cycle around then to Norway, perhaps up to the Northern Cape & then home. So far he has cycled 40,000 kilometers in 2 years. He's even been chased by a grizzly bear in the Yukon. I like cycling but.... :uhoh:

What did you do?

Cameronian
29th Mar 2005, 08:48
Flew back to Scotland for my uncle's funeral. Mind you, you have more fun at a Glasgow funeral than at an Edinburgh wedding!!!

Wingswinger
29th Mar 2005, 08:50
I was flying other people around the UK Europe so that they could have a nice Easter. I was in Glasgow on Sunday night/Monday morning. It wasn't much fun!

Standard Noise
29th Mar 2005, 08:55
Worked day shifts Sat and Sun, then went walkies with wifey, jnr and Lucifer up Ebbor Gorge in Somerset. Then coughed lungs up upon reaching summit. Spent rest of the afternoon convincing lungs they'd be better off back where they came from. Thankfully, I don't start back till tomorrow.

Easter hols, ain't they grand!:(

tony draper
29th Mar 2005, 09:06
Mostly sat gazing out the window at the rain.
:(

Orange Arm Waver
29th Mar 2005, 09:18
Half day Thursday swa me go home start to watch the TV and fall asleep like some old geezer in a home...

Friday morning replaced front brakes on my car and that was about it

Saturday went to Hunstanton in thick fog/mist. Had the obligatory portion of chips and an ice cream. Then went to a couple of other beaches on the way home and walked miles on them. Then home via Marham (just to see how easy to spot there) and the Desert Rat memorial near Swaffham.

Sunday - nowt - lazed around the house

Monday went out for cycle ride, car boot, mowed lawn had lunch watched a video then out on bike again...

And did a fair bit of housework in between times

Today back to work :(

redsnail
29th Mar 2005, 09:43
Went to Amsterdam with the big fella. We hadn't been before and it seemed like a good thing to do. :D
Yep, visited the Sex Museum and the Red Light District. Also did a canal cruise as well as visited the Rijksmuseum and a diamond cutting display. Saw other things too. :D
Nice town, people are very friendly. Bought some cool shoes.

Captain Airclues
29th Mar 2005, 10:02
Great Easter thanks Omaha

Friday; Simulator 09.30 to 15.30
Saturday; Simulator 17.30 to 23.30
Sunday; Simulator 17.30 to 23.00
Monday; Simulator 21.30 to 04.00

Airclues

Pinky the pilot
29th Mar 2005, 10:53
Friday; painted a combined Kitchen/Dining Room/Lounge of Mrs Pinky's house.
Saturday; dug up and relaid/rewired a heap of Garden lights
Sunday; collapsed in quivering heap!
Monday; picked about 2,500 kg of Oranges whilst jealously watching lighties flying about. Orchard is right next to local A/F.
Cameronian; Don't suppose you know the difference between an Aussie Wedding and an Aussie Funeral?
One less Drunk!

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

BALIX
29th Mar 2005, 11:37
Went to the Falkirk Wheel on Friday. For those of you who don't know, and I suspect it is most of you, the Falkirk Wheel is a new boat lift that connects two central Scotland canals. It was completed in 2002 and I recommend it to anyone who happens to be passing Falkirk. Had a jolly nice curry on the way home, too.

Saturday afternoon watched England put the mighty Northern Ireland to the sword on the telly.

Back to work on Sunday.

And Monday.

Dead_Heading
29th Mar 2005, 11:42
Had cousins etc round, am of to dartmoor for various training whjimaflip things, then straight back for a nice holiday walking in the peak district. Ooooh. me feets.

B Fraser
29th Mar 2005, 11:58
Friday - SOU to MAN with Fly.be. The SOU to GLA went tech so they nicked our perfectly servicable a/c meaning that two flights were late instead of one :*

Sat - spent most of the day fixing headsets, searching the web for spares and bought a new checklist & manual........ also took the cat to the pet crematorium, poor little bugger. Missed new Dr Who.

Sunday - recovered from excess beer consumption. Got confused by teletext still showing time in GMT. Ended up in the pub again so missed repeat of Dr Who on BBC 3.

Monday - recovered from excess beer consumption........ not clever. Did some ironing to recover the brownie point deficit with the girlie in return for the aspirin, cooked breakfast etc. Why do women's shirts have buttons on the wrong side ?

Omaha
29th Mar 2005, 12:22
Well I'm sorry to hear about that 'D'. :(

But then again you've got the 'Romantic Road' to 'Rothenburg ob der Tauber', smack, bang, whack right on top of you, you lucky thing you.

Isn't that exactly what you do be looking for? Why not explore a bit of Germany while you're there'. :ok:

Atleast hopefully you had a good Xmas holidays last year. ;)

P.S. I hope you didn't fail anybody!

'D' here's a link to whet your appetite

http://www.romanticroad.com/default.htm

I know you'll love the fourth column in the 'Romantic Road Active Index. :E

Another link to get you going:

http://www.germany-tourism.de/e/2959.html

We might even get you to visit a castle or two! ;)

IFTB
29th Mar 2005, 12:28
Nice town, people are very friendly

right on, Reddo :ok:

AerBabe
29th Mar 2005, 13:02
Went flying on Friday, worked Saturday and Sunday, quick shopping trip then beer in a friend's garden on Monday. I'm now on a rostered week off. :ok:

Omaha
29th Mar 2005, 13:18
On the subject of cycling they were telling me down there about one Swedish guy who cycled from Sweden to Mount Everest, climbed Everest & cycled back to Sweden. He died a while back on a climbing wall in the US I believe, in his thirties I was told. What a bummer. :\

Here's the link:

http://www.nepal-dia.de/Aktuelle_Lage_/Goran_Kropp/goran_kropp.html

Orange Arm Waver
29th Mar 2005, 13:21
I don't suppose he was too happy about it...
Cruel world sometimes

MadsDad
29th Mar 2005, 13:26
Friday. Gardening (mowing, edging, shrub pruning etc.). Went to pub.

Saturday. Shopping, visit opticians, cooking. Went to pub.

Sunday. Watched recording of Dr. Who. Paperwork, cooking. Went to pub.

Monday. Went to brothers for lunch. Didn't go to pub.

Is it me or is there a theme developing here?

(Edited for spelling and the Dr.).

tall and tasty
29th Mar 2005, 13:29
Had loads and loads of fun!

Easter egg hunts, visited friends went and did fun activities and just chilled.

Best Easter I have had in a long time.

TnT :ok:

Paterbrat
29th Mar 2005, 14:25
Fri gandkids duty, fun. Sat shooting clays with son, fun. Sun other grandkids duty, fun. Mon relaxed eat/sampled various Easter pressies collected over last three days, all fat inducing, addictive and great fun. This morning weighed myself and was amazed to see had lost weight. How fun can that be.:ok:

PilotsPal
29th Mar 2005, 16:24
Took Thursday off, expected to wait ages for ID90 seat to GLA but got lucky & arrived at lunchtime. Spent weekend encouraging CarltonBrowne to spend money on new furniture (very successfully), doing his ironing, cooking and cleaning; watched the new Dr Who but not much else; did some family-type things Sunday afternoon; felt in horizontal sort of mood so stayed in bed all day yesterday. Roused self & CB just in time to catch flight back to London yesterday evening.

Back to work today.

Taildragger55
29th Mar 2005, 16:36
Friday flew a very small aircraft from one Irish field to another sixty miles away.
Rest of the weekend pottered and assisted TD sprog 2 research ancestors for school.

Nice spot Letterfrack, if a tad damp, but definitely spooky around where the Christian Brothers (definitely a case for the Trades Descriptions Act) ran their gulag.

Omaha
29th Mar 2005, 16:53
The weather was great when I was there mate, I'm normally really lucky on the weather when I holiday in Ireland which I do quite regularly on a short trip basis. The only thing 'damp' was the non stop flowing booze from the bars.

Yes, it is ironic that such a beautiful spot as Letterfrack harbours such a dark past & holds such dark connotations for so many Irish people. It could have been a wonderful place to bring up young boys/teenagers surrounded by such beautiful mountains & sea but sadly it was turned into a place of horror, stuck in the middle of nowhere, for these poor kids. The cruelties that they underwent are forever burnt into their minds. We have to remember though that the Christian Brothers were also victims of the harsh Catholic system of the times, many were forced into the order at the age of twelve. No wonder they took out their frustrations on poor defenseless children after the way they were treated, I'm not condoning it just explaining what lay behind the scenes & that it isn't so black & white as some people think.

Now Letterfrack is a beautiful place, great restaurants, pubs, atmosphere, but the reformatory still dominates the village lending a sense of foreboding & as a continual reminder to visitors in the know of what went on there. :(

Mac the Knife
29th Mar 2005, 18:07
Worked mostly, patching up assorted folks. Put back a finger (paper guillotine).

WHEN will people learn to wear seatbelts ???

WHEN will people learn NOT to light fires with petrol ???

Egg hunt on Sunday with The Kid.

Quite quiet really.

El Grifo
29th Mar 2005, 19:22
Since you ask, went to the beach.

:ok: :cool: :ok:

fritzi
29th Mar 2005, 19:49
Friday: Drove up and spent the easter weekend at my parents.
Saturday: Heavy drinking during the day, excessive drinking during the evening.
Sunday: Stayed tucked into my bed with a ferocious hangover. Was supposed to drive home again in the evening but that didnt happen.
Monday: Drove home to study for my physics exam :ugh:

Omaha
30th Mar 2005, 08:24
Actually a funny incident occurred when I was there. I was cycling up to my accomodation on the excuse for a road when I met a car coming in the other direction heading straight for me. Thinking it must be a disorientated Yank or something I frantically waved him over the other side. Infact it was the local parish priest who may have thought I was giving him a friendly wave since he leaned out of the window waving to me & shouting "Happy Easter". I questioned someone who I saw working in the grounds of the church, he said it wasn't the first time nor likely to be the last the local PP had done this even on main roads where he's inclined to drive up the middle. :uhoh:

Blacksheep
30th Mar 2005, 08:50
Easter?

Aaah, so that's why Rosalina wanted the day off.

spycatcher
31st Mar 2005, 16:54
Had a walk up Ben Lomond in the morning and a cardiac arrest in the afternoon ;)