PDA

View Full Version : White hats

old-timer
28th Mar 2005, 20:07
Whats occuring with white hats London HQ ?
News says moving out of the city..sign of the times ?
howw does it affect white hat op's ?

Mister Slot
28th Mar 2005, 21:45
Those Tui staff that aren't losing their jobs are re-locating from GLH (Greater London House) to an off-airport site close to EGGW.

The vast majority of Britannia staff are also rumoured to move to the same building. Seems to make sense to have them all under the same roof.

Regrettably, White Hatters ops. moved to Hannover quite some while ago - a controversial and almost certainly a politically motivated decision IMHO.

old-timer
31st Mar 2005, 10:47
Ahh, that makes sense, I guess the LCC are cutting into the
charter market now & hence the need to reduce costs,
good for joe pax but it makes it a tougher competitive business nowadays........ahh, happier relaxed time of days gone bye..oops...i'm reverting to reminsicent mode !!

keep the needles on the bugs :-)

oncemorealoft
31st Mar 2005, 11:12
I do feel it is somewhat ironic that Britannia effectively pioneered the LCC model in the UK with a 29GBP one way scheduled service between LTN and BFS in the early 1990s.

Then, under pressure from the marketing geniuses at Thomson Holidays (probably the same boys behind the 'Tsetsefly' - sorry - 'Thomsonfly' branding) Brits were persuaded to get rid of the "too small" 737s and focus solely on IT charters. (They were retired only for a number to turn up at LTN a week later in Ryanair colours!). Then a couple more ex Britannia 737s turned up, this time in Orange colours ("don't worry, Easyjet won't last six months" said GLH!)

Now what do we have? 737s back in the BAL fleet and a return to low cost scheduled flying. Oh - and GLH closing so that's one good thing then!