PDA

View Full Version : Safe Mode?

Tosh McCaber
28th Mar 2005, 19:08
Over the past week, after switching on, my computer goes straight to Safe Mode and the screen progresses no further. I also get a message that the computer does not recognise my optical mouse. (Win '98)

Any thoughts, anyone?

400 Hertz
28th Mar 2005, 19:55
If you can get to the DOS prompt (try pressing F8 just before windows screen boots up) and select DOS prompt only, you might be able to get the system going by typing 'sfc' at the command prompt.

For this to work properly, you need the CAB files (original Win 98 CDROM files) located in the PC somewhere. This is a windows command that replaces damaged system files. It might just work, you never know. For more info search google for sfc.

nwaflygirl
31st Mar 2005, 03:44
Windows XP will do this when the computer is not shut down correctly, or when a new program or file has been installed and has corrupted or damaged files. Next time it happens, let in run in safe mode, when it produces pop-up to ask if you want to continue to run in safe mode, answer yes. Log on and check through your add or remove programs on the control panel. If all looks fine here, (no strange or unfamilliar additions), close and restart. If you should find a program that is unfamiliar, research it through windows explorer. Spyware tends to do this to windows xp operating system. If you see listings such as: My Search Bar, New Dot Net, Wild Tangent, or listings of the like, remove and restart.

Tonic Please
1st Apr 2005, 19:41
This will work.

Start > Run > msconfig > Advanced button and make sure "Enable Startup Menu" is UNCHECKED. Hit OK, OK.

Dan :)