PDA

View Full Version : Die Walkure

Grainger
28th Mar 2005, 18:54
OK, so what's going on ?

One minute I'm watching Die Walkure . . .

Gets to the end of Act One, I go to make a cup of tea, and when I come back it's Anastasia :confused:

Anyone know what happened ?

Onan the Clumsy
28th Mar 2005, 19:03
Well it was rumoured that she survived the assasination...

singaporegirl
28th Mar 2005, 19:30
They announced at the beginning that Bryn Terfel was ill. As he was singing the part of Wotan, who doesn't appear till Act 2, they decided to broadcast Act 1 today and then broadcast the rest when he was better.

See here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts/4388631.stm).

tony draper
28th Mar 2005, 20:56
Damm!! one was looking forward to the helicopters and the zuni rockets.
:rolleyes:

BigginAgain
28th Mar 2005, 21:09
What's the point of showing this stuff live? Surely you know the result in advance?

;)

BA

Capn Notarious
28th Mar 2005, 21:19
May the seventh is the reschedule day.

However if your taste buds need a WagnerRing.
Get to the library or shops, grab, the Deutsche Grammophon DVD of the Metropolitan opera, Der Ring Des Nibelungen.
It is excellent, 5-1 Dolby Hildegard Behrens is Brunnhilde.
So you know how I finished my evening.

If the BBC repeat it. Look out for the English National Opera at Glastonbury last year. They did Act three of the Valkyrie, 30,000 festival audience yelling applause. That ain't been done before.

tony draper
28th Mar 2005, 21:21
Twas just coming up to the interesting incest bit as well.
:(

Ignition Override
29th Mar 2005, 05:44
Tony-you took my idea. Was watching small segments of "Apocalypse Now" about two weeks ago.

The part where the boat crew watches the two ladies dance by the helicopter is charming-and that old folk dance was a nice touch...:E

Pilgrim101
29th Mar 2005, 07:26
The Bugs Bunny version takes some beating. ;) (Kill the Wabbit, Kill the Wabbit, Kill the Wabbit...............!!!)

BTW I recall an operatic event where the Soprano throws herself off a cliff / castle ramparts at the end (Puccini - La Tosca ?) and the cast got her by replacing the soft fall mattress with a trampoline at the end of one performance. Cue the fat lady bouncing off the "rocks" several times. Apocryphal, I hope not - I'd have enyoyed watching that :}

acbus1
29th Mar 2005, 16:48
The Bugs Bunny version takes some beating Elmer Fudd -- "Awwww Bwunhiwda, yaw so wuuuuuuuvvwy!"

Bugs Bunny -- "Yaas ay naaaaaw iiiit, aaaaay caynt heeelp iiiiiiiit!"

Wagner would've split his Ring! :D :D :D