PDA

View Full Version : How to become a pilot?

Davidbriggs30
28th Mar 2005, 17:44
Hi, I am currently studying for my A Levels, and i am considering a career as being a commercial pilot. Is there any advice that can me given as to about sponserships, and what to do after leaving school?

arpansingla
28th Mar 2005, 18:00
I as well as many others have asked the same question many times before. Just use the search function and you will be sure to find some advice!

bafanguy
28th Mar 2005, 21:28
Do yourself a favor and go into the military to begin your flying career.

scroggs
29th Mar 2005, 09:02
There is plenty of good advice to be found here, but another source is GAPAN's (the Guild of Air Pilots and Air Navigators) site at www.gapan.org, in particular the article 'So You Want to Become a Pilot'.

Essentially, there are no sponsorships available these days. CTC runs a scheme which preselects pilots for easyJet and others, and trains them to frozen ATPL level, but it is financed by a loan which you are responsible for - and it's a great deal of money! Britannia has run a part-sponsorship in the last couple of years, which has reduced the costs of an ATPL for a very few, very lucky, Britannia applicants.

The bottom line is you will need to raise upwards of £50,000 to pay for your training. The only way you will get your training for free is with the RAF, Royal Navy or the Army.

Scroggs