PDA

View Full Version : Ad-Aware - what am I doing wrong?

Scottie Dog
28th Mar 2005, 17:12
I have been running Ad-Aware SE Personal and it regularly finds around 370 problems. I then quaratine them and the program locks when it shows as 'deleting' them. I have reloaded the program with the same result.

When I next run Ad-Aware I seem to find the same number of results. Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong?

Please be patient with me as I am not computer literate.

Thanks in advance - and to those who have answeed questions in the past.

Scottie Dog

Scottie Dog
28th Mar 2005, 19:51
Mike

Many thanks for your pointer.

All seems to go well when I run the program in safe-mode. I got 229 critical errors on the 1st run and then nil on the 2nd attemtp.

Then I ran Ad-Aware under my own full signin and got 68 criticals, did a quarantine and then had the delete process 'hang'. Tried again and still had 68 errors.

Any more thoughts? By the way I run AVG free - which is auto-updated - and also Spybot.

Scottie Dog

Scottie Dog
29th Mar 2005, 06:01
Mike

Thanks, I'll try again tonite when I get home. In the meantime I'll finish my caffeine 'fix' and get off to work.

Scottie Dog

Toxteth O'Grady
29th Mar 2005, 08:10
Disable System Restore (this will delete all Restore points).

Go into Safe Mode, scan again.

Reboot normally, scan again.

Re-enable System Restore.

:cool:

TOG

Scottie Dog
29th Mar 2005, 12:09
Thanks for that suggestion - as I said that the beginning, I am a novice. Whare do I 'Disable System Restore'. I'm on Windows 98.

Still 4 hours until I get home from work!

Thanks again.

Toxteth O'Grady
29th Mar 2005, 12:42
In which case you can ignore 'cos 98 doesn't have it.

:cool:

TOG

cossack
29th Mar 2005, 16:54
Hi Scottie!
Time to give your relic to a museum and get something from the 1990's!!;)
Take care
Thawing nicely...
DC

Jinkster
29th Mar 2005, 16:58
Tried to update Ad-aware a couple of days ago and no update. hasnt been updated since beginning of Feb, something must be wrong surely!:ugh:

maxell
29th Mar 2005, 17:16
definitions file on mine is SE1R34 23.03.2005 so you must have missed an update

Scottie Dog
29th Mar 2005, 17:46
Glad to see that you have defrosted enough to get the old fingers twitching!! I'll try dropping you an email later.

ps - I am in the 1990 (Windows 98 at least) but yes, sadly the pc does need an update.

Hamrah
29th Mar 2005, 19:06
Jinkster,

Check your AdAware version. They discountinued support foe version 6 sometime back. You may need to get version 7.

H

Globaliser
29th Mar 2005, 21:08
Hamrah: Jinkster,

Check your AdAware version. They discountinued support foe version 6 sometime back. You may need to get version 7. To be pedantically accurate, I think the current version is "Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition 1.05". Available for free (as usual) from www.download.com

Hamrah
30th Mar 2005, 19:53
Globaliser, you are quite correct, and certainly not pedantic. I should have checked before posting.

The Lavasoft site has the following statement

Please upgrade to Ad-Aware SE.

We are now discontinuing reference file and product support for Ad-Aware 6 and urge users to upgrade their existing copies to the new Ad-Aware SE. We continued support of the older version of Ad-Aware to allow users time to upgrade while still enjoying the protection they have come to expect from our software.

H

Jinkster
30th Mar 2005, 20:57
Hamrah,

Many thanks for the help.

Jinkster :)

Devlin Carnet
31st Mar 2005, 10:42
Scottie,
I too have had Adaware "hang" the PC when deleting selection, a couple of times, so it isn't just you.
Always happens when deleting a large number of files.
and it is an up to date version, I have no solution though, .

Scottie Dog
31st Mar 2005, 10:54
That looks hopeful then - I am not the only person!!

I will try to just select a limited number of file for deletion the next time - rather than select all - and see if that works. I'll let you know the result.

Cheers

Scottie Dog
10th Apr 2005, 12:55
Sorry but I'm back again!!

I thought I would try upgrading my RAM to 256K and see whether it made any difference - but no.

System specs are: Windows 98/Pentium II/256K RAM (was 64K)/Dual Hard Drive - C with 5.9GB capacity and D: with 12.60GB (D: runs as a slave off C:) - hopefully that will help as far as system is concerned.

I am still having the same problem as before if I try running Ad-Aware Personal SE from my own settings - scans approx 98000 files, finds around 70 bugs, Quarantines ok and then hangs in the delete mode.

If I then run in Safe Mode it checks around 85000 files, finds another 16 bugs, Quarantines and deletes them fine!

Any more thoughts?

Scottie Dog

ps - I cann't afford a new PC at the moment.
pps - When running under my own settings I disable dialup, AVG etc.