PDA

View Full Version : Another tsunami?

Onan the Clumsy
28th Mar 2005, 17:27
Just got this from another forum:
U.S. agency urges evacuations along coasts of countries on Indian Ocean due to tsunami fears after 8.2 earthquake. Details soon.
Dunno if it means anything though.

Jerricho
28th Mar 2005, 17:40
Just been having a look at a few news sites, and they all say pretty much the same thing.

Fingers crossed for one and all.

lexxity
28th Mar 2005, 17:52
Just watching the live coverage on sky news, fingers crossed that these poor people don't have to go through another tsunami.

VFE
28th Mar 2005, 18:18
Just been searching through my mobile phone for numbers of those I think could possibly be in the danger area..... if indeed a danger area actually exists yet - seems most people don't have a scooby what could happen which is the most worrying part.

Fingers crossed.

VFE.

timmcat
28th Mar 2005, 18:21
Struck at 16:15 GMT (around 2 hours ago?) Looking at the map, would'nt there have been some local impact by now?

Some quake info here. (http://www.prh.noaa.gov/ptwc/bulletins.htm)

Edited to add from within the above site

WARNING... THIS EARTHQUAKE HAS THE POTENTIAL TO GENERATE A WIDELY
DESTRUCTIVE TSUNAMI IN THE OCEAN OR SEAS NEAR THE EARTHQUAKE.
AUTHORITIES IN THOSE REGIONS SHOULD BE AWARE OF THIS POSSIBILITY
AND TAKE IMMEDIATE ACTION. THIS ACTION SHOULD INCLUDE EVACUATION
OF COASTS WITHIN A THOUSAND KILOMETERS OF THE EPICENTER AND CLOSE
MONITORING TO DETERMINE THE NEED FOR EVACUATION FURTHER AWAY.

THIS CENTER DOES NOT HAVE SEA LEVEL GAUGES OUTSIDE THE PACIFIC
SO WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DETECT OR MEASURE A TSUNAMI IF ONE WAS
GENERATED. AUTHORITIES CAN ASSUME THE DANGER HAS PASSED IF NO
TSUNAMI WAVES ARE OBSERVED IN THE REGION NEAR THE EPICENTER
WITHIN THREE HOURS OF THE EARTHQUAKE.

tony draper
28th Mar 2005, 18:24
Watching bbc 24, somebody has already stated if a tsunami was going to strike it would have done so by now.
We might moan about the weather here, but at least we don't have to put up with geology working its ticket.

Onan the Clumsy
28th Mar 2005, 18:26
CNN has Thousands of people in the six provinces of Thailand began evacuating after an 8.2 earthquake prompted the Thai government to issue a tsunami warning. The quake struck along on the same fault line as the one that caused December's deadly tsunami. In Sri Lanka, the government warned that if there is a tsunami, it could reach Sri Lanka's shores in about three hours.

flowman
28th Mar 2005, 19:09
Try this site for seismic activity:http://www.iris.edu/seismon/bigmap/index.phtml
It's an excellent indicator of where not to build a house:ok:
(With apologies to all those with houses on the pink dots).

tony draper
28th Mar 2005, 19:19
Hmmm just noticed how lucky Australia is,they built it just south of all those pink bits.
Theres a volcano kicking off in Mexico as well, what the hell is going on!
:uhoh:

El Grifo
28th Mar 2005, 19:19
Oddly enough we had a 5 meter wave hit our South West coast yesterday pm. We were told it was something to do with the full moon.

No damage done, just buggered up the Green Lagoon.

tony draper
28th Mar 2005, 19:24
I always thought there had to be a pretty heafty shift in the ocean floor to cause a Tsunami ,don't think the energy is directly produced by the quake itself,of course one could be wrong there.

goates
28th Mar 2005, 19:37
Theres a volcano kicking off in Mexico as well, what the hell is going on!

There's just more people in more places and better news reporting everywhere than there was even a hundred years ago. I don't think that the Earth is any more geologically active now than it was a thousand years ago.

goates

PS - I'm glad all I have to worry about are thunderstorms and the rare tornado.

tony draper
28th Mar 2005, 19:38
Errr any prooners live near Yellowstone.?
:uhoh:

goates
28th Mar 2005, 23:37
Errr any prooners live near Yellowstone.?

The concern over Yellowstone it that is won't matter if you live close to the volcano or not. The entire planet will suffer a rather long winter and the associated food shortages. At that point maybe it would be better to be living on top of the caldera... :uhoh:

White Bear
28th Mar 2005, 23:51
Drapes,
Re Yellowstone, if it makes you feel any better, I'll be among the first to go....
White Bear.

Sultan Ismail
29th Mar 2005, 02:29
It was felt in Kuala Lumpur just after midnight (+8GMT)

Rattled a few plates :E

allan907
29th Mar 2005, 02:36
Drapes While most of the pink bits lie to the north of Australia you will note that there are a few pink bits on the island continent. I live on top of the southern west Australian one!

Yer gets used to the teacups rattling! Fortunately nothing too serious too often.

airship
29th Mar 2005, 11:17
Watched the TV news reports yesterday evening on French TV. They quoted the quake as being '8.2'. However they very briefly showed a copy of the warning bulletin of possible tsunamis from the Pacific Tsnami Warning Centre and that clearly quoted '8.5'. BBC had it as a '8.2' yesterday but today call it a '8.7'. So what was it? And do they mean magnitude or intensity? Or does it matter?

Whatever, at least it's nowhere as bad as Dec 26th. :ok:

ORAC
29th Mar 2005, 11:33
Initially estimated as 8.2, increased to 8.7. USGS (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteqsww/Quakes/usweax.htm)

tony draper
29th Mar 2005, 11:40
As I understand it tiz a log scale so from say 4 on the Richter scale to 8 does not just mean double the intensity but increases hundreds of fold,so the difference between 8.2 and 8.7 could mean quite a large difference.

AIRWAY
29th Mar 2005, 12:40
I believe some experiments around that area... :rolleyes: :uhoh: Nuclear :confused:

airship
29th Mar 2005, 12:52
Yup! That HMS whatever survey vessel's been prowling around ever since the Dec. 26th one. I reckon it's the Ozzies though. It's a trial run to see if they can push Sumatra even further north. If that works, they're gonna do it for real near East Timor. It's all about the oil and gas you see... :}

tall and tasty
29th Mar 2005, 15:43
Deepest sympathies to all who lost friends and realtives in this one, over 1000 lives lost so far. Not good for an area just starting to pick up their shattered lives

TnT

SASless
4th Sep 2005, 21:18
Wonder if there is a warning system for Indonesia now?

Dead_Heading
4th Sep 2005, 21:48
I think it's a logarithmic scale, Drapes , but i could be wrong. You're dead right-the earthquake itself does not cause the tsunami, the shift of rock to a lower level, in a massive subduction of the lower plate, caused the massive tsunami because of the volume of rock and water displaced, and thus the huge volume of energy.

It's HMS Scott BTW