PDA

View Full Version : Tax refunds

cwatters
28th Mar 2005, 08:50
If you cancel a ticket can you get the tax back? I know most low cost airlines won't refund the ticket price but what about the tax?

Anyone know?

Globaliser
29th Mar 2005, 08:31
Yes, but many (most? all?) airlines now impose an administration charge to handle the refund, which may mean that you get relatively little of it back. Last year I wrote off £23.40 from one short-haul ticket, because the admin charge was £25.00. So when another ticket got binned and the tax was £30.00, I insisted on getting my tenner back as a matter of principle. And I did.

skydriller
29th Mar 2005, 09:25
Does anyone know if this a Europe-wide thing or just the UK? For example if you log into the website for BA the French site info is different to the UK site, and the Dutch site is different again...etc. etc. Its similar with other airlines too.

In the past I have claimed Tax/airportfees or whatever back when either the whole ticket is not used or if only a portion is used and the return flight was cancelled in advance. HOWEVER, I tried it with BA for the first time this year and they refused point blank.........whereas before (last year) it was refunded no probs...

If you connect taking two flights the taxes can exceed €100......

I would like to see some legistlation on this, as the airlines insist on separating airport taxes from ticket price to make it look good in their advertising. The way it is right now I see it such that the Airport taxes etc are not theirs to keep as they have not paid the airports involved for you.

Regards, SD..

PS, I also think its pretty rich charging you for your own taxes back, Im sure there are rules about this in the UK whereby this shouldnt happen - even though it obviously does.....:mad: