PDA

View Full Version : Sexuality determines map reading skills

Speedpig
27th Mar 2005, 22:46
I'm sorry, I had to post this from the Royal Institute of Navigation.

According to researchers at the University of East London gay men have the same map reading skills as heterosexual women. Reported in Behavioural Neuroscience Dr Qazi Rahman and colleagues took a study of 20 gay men, 20 straight men, 20 heterosexual women and 20 lesbians. The results suggested that the gay men used landmarks rather than compass points.

The study has been refuted as nonsense by gay organizations.

Go to The Daily Telegraph and UK Gay.com

Why would they study that? Whatever next?

KBaB
27th Mar 2005, 22:58
Hello,

I read about this too and think the point that was put over was women use landmarks, men use directions but gay men use both "go north till you see the pub then...." like a mix of the two.

Why study it - who knows! Someoneís grant application got the OK and they went for it. I remember reading about male brains working in 3D where as women are able to communicate better.

I guess itís a bit of something or nothing!

Caslance
27th Mar 2005, 23:05
Sexuality determines map reading skills Surely you mean "orientation" and not "sexuality"? :E

I'll get me coat, shall I?

BigGrecian
27th Mar 2005, 23:13
Have you thought of posting this in the military forum? There are quite a few women navigating their way round the Air Force at the moment. (No pun intended - honest ;) )

TheStormyPetrel
28th Mar 2005, 00:52
With 20 participants, this study can't be taken seriously. Actually, don't you wonder why they undertook this study at all? All very sus if you ask me.

Speedpig
28th Mar 2005, 03:11
With 20 participants, this study can't be taken seriously. Actually, don't you wonder why they undertook this study at all? All very sus if you ask me.

Perhaps in the establishment where it was carried out, they couldn't find more than 20 straight men?:D

411A
28th Mar 2005, 03:46
Hmmm, may be something to this.

Last month I noticed a USAF flight starting to steam down the wrong airway over the Med...and the pilot (communicating) was a female.
Map reading skills?
WHAT map reading skills.

Good grief, whatever next?:E :mad: :p

IRS key
28th Mar 2005, 06:38
A very interesting book related on this subject: "Why men don't listen and women can't read maps" by Allan & Barbara Pease.

Very funny and quite revealing. It also explained why there are so few women pilots in the airline industry. This information is obviously very non-PC...........:ok: :ok:

Firestorm
28th Mar 2005, 07:49
IRS; of course the book is non-PC: the authors are Australian!

arcniz
28th Mar 2005, 09:25
Spatial thinking in M's is strongly influenced by early brain-training experience from practice in aiming the dongle.

Maybe some turn gay when they become frustrated over a perceived inability to point it right.

tony draper
28th Mar 2005, 09:38
Presumably hermaphrodites can navigate themselves.
:cool:

Onan the Clumsy
28th Mar 2005, 14:28
I heard of an African tribe who navigates by story.

They'd say something like "Right then I'll see you in a month at the tree where the coconut fell on Ngomo's head." That made sense to me.

I also heard a comic doing a routine about the perils of asking for directions in a small town. He asked and got an answer like "Go down here away's and turn left where the high school used to be." :confused:

Standard Noise
28th Mar 2005, 14:38
So we know that men can read maps, women can't and gays use landmarks. Ah well, to each, their own. Wouldn't mind being paid a fortune to think up these crazy ideas and study them.

Maude Charlee
28th Mar 2005, 17:03
So do lesbians have the map reading ability of heterosexual men? Or is that only butch lesbians? :confused:

Speedpig
29th Mar 2005, 05:35
I heard of an African tribe who navigates by story
Ah, the PHUKARWE tribe.
There is also the UMATINGEE tribe who live in the thorn bushes. They navigate by jumping up and down while chanting their name in a high pitched voice.
"Umatingee, umatingee!"

ThinkRate
29th Mar 2005, 09:46
Presumably hermaphrodites can navigate themselves

Drapes that's really funny :D :D :D :D

TR
------------------------------------
ThinkRate! ThinkRate! Don't Think!

tony draper
29th Mar 2005, 10:48
Thank you TR, one tries.
:cool:

Secret Squire
29th Mar 2005, 11:29
One should navigate oneself to a seccluded welsh university town, where irregardless of gender, race, or sexuality, the only way the inhabitants can navigate around the town is by referencing everything to the local watering holes (there are 52 in a town of about 18,000!).....

perhaps a new way of aviation navigation could be devised based on the little chef map method?

SS

Paterbrat
29th Mar 2005, 13:56
There used to exist a sample of the Irish ATPL floating around, the nav section I think contained some brainteaser about drawing the track from A to B using the ruler and pencil provided, which was managed by both males and female candidates equaly (un)successfully thereby invalidating the study quoted. And yes I do have an Irish passport.

Iarrann Aire Gnothai Eachtracha na hEireann ar gach n-aon... etc etc

Tone
30th Mar 2005, 14:34
I heard somewhere that the reason women have never trekked (alone) to the south pole is 'cos they are embarrassed about having to hold the map upside down. Does the same hold for gay explorers?

Confabulous
30th Mar 2005, 16:52
Iarrann Aire Gnothai Eachtracha na hEireann ar gach n-aon... etc etc

Eh?

Most Irish people (myself included) can't understand Irish. Save yourself the trouble, the language is dead, buried and decomposed.

Good try though ;)

acbus1
30th Mar 2005, 17:15
I heard somewhere that the reason women have never trekked (alone) to the south pole is 'cos they are embarrassed about having to hold the map upside down. Does the same hold for gay explorers?
I assume gay explorers would be embarrased about holding the map back to front. :ooh:

Apparently they cope well in Amsterdam, though.

Good at navigating canals, y'see. :uhoh:

Nobody mention the dykes.