PDA

View Full Version : Best Thing Since Sliced Bread

tart1
27th Mar 2005, 22:14
Having apparently unintentionally killed off the thread on chillis and chocolate earlier today, I thought I would start another one about food.

I think the best thing since sliced bread (which is horrible pappy stuff) is home-made bread.

I used to make it by hand, 5 loaves at a time, but it was hard work and very time-consuming. So for the last 10 years or so I have used a bread-maker. I use organic, stoneground, wholemeal flour and add whatever other ingredients I fancy at the time. At the moment it is sunflower, sesame and hemp (!) seed.

It is also brilliant at making dough for pizza bases (use special pasta flour) and ciabatta.

Am I a 'knit-your-own-muesli' weirdo or do other normal people like the real thing when it comes to bread? :D :D

Caslance
27th Mar 2005, 22:14
The best thing since sliced bread?

Toasters. :ok:

tart1
27th Mar 2005, 22:16
Crikey, that must be a world record for a reply!!

tony draper
27th Mar 2005, 22:27
Been getting those partially baked Baquettes recently yer shove em in the oven for ten mins,and out pops new baked bread, bloody luvly,nice and crusty.
Agree sliced bread is only fit for toast.
:cool:

Big Tudor
27th Mar 2005, 22:34
But what was the best thing before sliced bread? :confused:

BlueEagle
27th Mar 2005, 22:42
Elastic sided boots!

Caslance
27th Mar 2005, 22:56
A sharp bread knife. :D

Onan the Clumsy
28th Mar 2005, 03:11
I used to make it by hand I still do :E

The SSK
28th Mar 2005, 09:16
*Real* bread makers don't use bread makers

SilsoeSid
28th Mar 2005, 09:53
I think the best thing since sliced bread (which is horrible pappy stuff) is home-made bread.
Surely home made bread was before sliced bread :confused:

reynoldsno1
28th Mar 2005, 11:06
In My dictionary, immediately after baguettes, boots and bread is blow (well, it's a very old dictionary). It's a good job there are still some about to pick up on these things...... :uhoh:

Onan the Clumsy
28th Mar 2005, 13:12
I used to make my own bread, but I think I had the reciepe wrong - got it off teh back of a flour packet. I think it was wrong because my bread was WAY more expensive than just buying one.

In the end I broke the bread knife on one of my loaves - I'm sure the handle was rotten though.

It's hard to get good bread over here, but it's starting to be more available.

Rhodie
28th Mar 2005, 13:13
The best thing since sliced bread?

Real Bakeries... :sad:

As a kid in Rhodesia, I would drive my Mum bats by destroying the crust on the hot fresh bread just bought from the local bakery, before we got home.... t'was real bread then, not the processed stuff you get now...

Ah, Tart1 - you have gone and got me all nostalgic now.. Im'e off to the appliance store right now to buy a bread maker.. :ok:

Cheers

R

BlueDiamond
28th Mar 2005, 13:25
I find that the breadmaker doesn't produce a very hard crust. It comes out a little bit crispy but soon goes soft so I went back to making bread the traditional way. The breadmaker does a really good fruit loaf though. :ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
28th Mar 2005, 22:53
Rhodie

Got a good recipe for beer bread. Will pass it on next time we ambush Steve.

One has just noticed one has exceeded 1000 posts. One will carve a statue immediately....

tony draper
28th Mar 2005, 23:05
Wonder when the convention of slicing bread across the narrow part instead of along the long axis started? we could have had much bigger sarnies and a long slice would fit much better on me toasting grill.
One suspects the hand of the communists involved here.

:cool:

LordGrumpy
28th Mar 2005, 23:18
Is a brown trout caught, prepared and enjoyed. Been there done that...........
I say Lady G. Whirling Dervish knife spinning bread slicing, an Olympic Sport! Suprised that conkers aint a golden gong competition.

tart1
30th Mar 2005, 13:27
deskjockey - I see your point about real bread makers not using bread-makers but the machine produces bread that's as good as hand-made and at least you know what's gone into it. Making bread entirely by hand is a right pain :ooh:

SilsoeSid - a play on words, dear chap, a play on words :p

Blue Diamond - my bread-maker gives a very crusty crust. I think the machines do vary. A few months ago my sister bought a new bread-maker but it didn't make anything like as nice bread as my machine which I've had for over 10 years. :cool:

ps - I read in the paper a couple of days ago that bread sales have returned to the level they were at before the Atkins Diet became popular ;)

rubik101
30th Mar 2005, 14:07
I don't think there has been anything to improve on sliced bread as a comparitor. Indeed, if there was something then surely we would say, 'the best thing since cordless mice' or whatever. Sliced wholemeal, toasted and crunchy with a variety of toppings is just the best thing to start the day! After the obvious ablutions, that is.

Rollingthunder
30th Mar 2005, 14:26
Actually disdain sliced bread. Nothing better in the morning than a loaf sliced 3/4 in thick slathered in real butter and a good jam or pate with pepper. Other than a full english, of course.

tall and tasty
30th Mar 2005, 15:13
I Love making home made fresh bread especially having to pound it and kneed it until it rises :p

The smell of it first thing in the morning. We as kids used to go to the bakers in Greece and buy four loaves hot and fresh, my mother only ever got 2 by the time we got home. Ripped to pieces and eaten as fast as we could on the walk back.

But now days I do find the bread maker a great time saver and the different breads you can make are as varied as your imagination lets them.

Slicing - still afraid to say I love door stops (thick slices) except in cucumber sandwiches when they have to been thin sliced!

Pleanty of fresh normandy butter! Now I am getting hungry just typing this

:O

TnT :ok:

tart1
30th Mar 2005, 16:36
Actually slicing it is sometimes a problem especially when it's very fresh.

I think a slicing machine would rate as the next best thing since sliced bread (after home-baked bread that is). :confused:

BlueEagle
30th Mar 2005, 22:51
On fresh baked bread use an electric carving knife, works very well!:ok: