PDA

View Full Version : Nights away?

rsb
27th Mar 2005, 17:47
Could anyone shed any light on how many nights away, on average, you long haul pilots are spending away each month? I am particularly interested in BA, Virgin and Cathay Cargo people flying out of London. My reason for asking is that I am making the change from military to civillian and need numbers for my decision making process. Obviously, starting in the airlines I can expect to be at the bottom of the pile. I currently have 5000 hrs widebody experience with 3000 of those as command and a Flight Instructor tick to boot. All answers gratefully received.

Rainboe
27th Mar 2005, 21:23
BA I think about 11-14 in a full month.

skybiggles
28th Mar 2005, 16:00
When crew depart mid morning from LHR for LAX or SFO for example, when do they return to Heathrow, and then how much time off do they get?

Do they then repeat the same flight / destinations several times per month?

As these flights are 11 hours +- a little, are there more than 2 pilots?

Are the flights exhausting?

What do crews normally do at the destinations, is there only time to sleep, or can they 'see the sights'?

wiggy
29th Mar 2005, 06:31
skybiggles

The answers to your questions are airline specific because of different scheduling arrangements, and even in the same airline there are different arrangements for Cabin Crew and Flight Crew.

Generally the pilots with UK operators tend to get two "local" nights off on arriving on the US West coast. They arrive PM US time and depart PM 48 hours later, arriving in London around mid-day the following day ( e.g. depart UK Monday, arrive back in UK Thursday) - so yes there is time to fit in sightseeing or whatever else turns you on - or sleep.

Time off in the UK after depends on the way you are rostered but it can, legally, be just one night off in the UK before flying again.

It's not unusual to do several West Coast round trips a month - how many depends on the airline's rostering.

You generally carry a relief pilot.

The flights can be tiring, but with the extra pilot you at least get a break ( perhaps 3 hours), which takes the edge off the fatigue a bit.

scroggs
29th Mar 2005, 08:39
rsb In Virgin, an average month would involve 70-80 flying hours, 3-4 trips (A340) or 4-5 trips (B744) and 12-18 nights away from home. Your lack of seniority will not affect these figures.