PDA

View Full Version : Age

Birky
27th Mar 2005, 17:23
You might all be interested in a survey I did in January asking whether UK operators would be prepared to interview a 40+ year old with an ATPL and 200 hrs TT.

Some very interesting replies!

http://www.themightymarcus.com/marketresearch.html

Cheers...
Birky

IRRenewal
27th Mar 2005, 18:29
I must be getting old (30-something and going grey :D). I think I saw the same post somewhere else recently

Ah! (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=168467)

RAPA Pilot
27th Mar 2005, 18:56
Exellent work Mark. I read with interest. I actually had some encouragement from the replies. I am 36 with 1600TT, 500 multi turbine but I was begining to think I was over the hill.You have helped motivate me once again. On saying that I would not enter this industry again knowing what I know now but I know nothing else so am abliged to continue to seek that elusive job.
The very best of luck which ever way you go.
RP.:ok:

Birky
2nd Apr 2005, 09:03
<b>IRRenewal and RAPAPilot:</b>

You're right IRR, I've posted the same or similar messages here and there, whenever I've seen a thread that seems appropriate. I don't see the point in all that effort going to waste.

Glad you felt encouraged by some of it RAPA, it was a mixed bag of responses but I certainly didn't feel nearly as worried about my age, as such, after reading them. With your experience I would have thought you'll find something pretty soon.

For anyone reading this who is 40+....

...I'm putting the finishing touches to a business plan as we speak. At my age (40) I think the sensible thing to do is plan for four possible scenarios:

1. Get the CPL/IR/ME/MCC. Towards the end, look around and start applying for positions with TP operators. Be prepared to pay for a TR on condition of a job (hateful scenario but then that subject's done the rounds)

Should nothing go my way then....

2. Add an FI rating, try to get past the 100 hours mark so the FI is unrestricted. Then build up my hours as fast as I can either in UK or abroad...keep applying for positions again (licence + tenacity = job!)

3. Should it become absolutely impossible to earn a living as an FI, seriously consider setting up a flight school of my own. I've run a company before!

4. There is a worry of course about health for anyone over 40. Should you fail your Class 1 you need to know what you're going to do. Loss of licence insurance seems very difficult to find and only seems to apply to those with jobs to lose, rather than the poor sods who've spent all their money but still haven't got anything.

I've heard that LOL insurance can be as much as £100/month. Anyone know better?

Cheers

Birky

MonarchA330
2nd Apr 2005, 10:08
Good to see that I'm not the only one getting the 'Here's a reply to your letter which we recieved, but coulddn't be bothered to read' response from BA.

Im just starting of my flying career and have been writing to a number of airlines re: jobs, sponsorship etc.

Have to say, Janine Taylor at Virgin was lovely, really helpful and clearly showed that she had written all responses fropm scratch with my letters infront of her. Real credit to the airline.
M330