PDA

View Full Version : What DVD would you suggest?

Gouabafla
27th Mar 2005, 14:50
Over in that thread with the initials for a name and lots of replies, Mr Draper mentioned that he had just bought a DVD player, but didn't have many DVDs.

That got me thinking, what DVDs do you think someone with a new DVD player should have at the top of their list?

Try and avoid recommending the obvious films (LOTR special edition etc.) and try and come up with things that others may not have heard of.

For my part, I'd recommend TAXI 2 by someone and starring someone else. It's a French comedy full of delightful non-PC humour that you probably couldn't get away with in the UK or US. The opening scene is, to my mind, the funniest thing I've ever seen in a film. Anyone who thinks that the French don't know how to laugh at themselves needs to see this one.

The downside is that it's all in French with English sub-titles. That being said, the sub-titles are really well done and as most of the humour is visual it doesn't matter too much. Anyway, because the film is in French, they tend to sell the DVD very cheaply in the UK.

Ontariotech
27th Mar 2005, 15:08
Saving Private Ryan is my favorite. I know not a fave of some, with all the graphic content.

How about Hunt for Red October or Patriot Games?

BlueDiamond
27th Mar 2005, 15:10
For Mr. Draper, who likes westerns, I would choose "Tombstone" with Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer. A new take on an old theme that he might find interesting.

tony draper
27th Mar 2005, 15:18
Thats downright spooky BD,one wandered off to ones neigbours tother night and borrowed that self same Tombstone DVD.
One chose that particular one from a whole raft of DVDs.
eeeekkkk :uhoh:

Jerricho
27th Mar 2005, 15:25
Big Fish - Tim Burton feel good with Ewan McGregor, If you like a "tall" story.

South Park, Bigger longer and uncut - Don't watch with the kiddies around :E

Seven - Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman chase down psycho killer with bible tendencies

Ring - The original, no that crap remake with Naomi Watts (although, Naomi is very pretty *sigh* )

Mulholland Drive - David Lynch mind-job (what is real, what's a dream?), once again with Naomi Watts (and those that have seen it will know what I mean when I say "Best scene ever"!!!) :E

Capn Notarious
27th Mar 2005, 15:42
Local Hero.

Natural scenery, well written, believable screenplay: intellegent and good humoured. Superb cast.

Stupendous Man
27th Mar 2005, 16:17
Are we talking about good DVDs as in good films or good DVDs as in worth getting for the extras?

If it is the latter then may I suggest the new edition of Apollo 13 - good commentary by Lovell and his wife.

The Indiana Jones and Star Wars boxed sets - great films plus an extra disc chock full of stuff.

Black Hawk Down - fantastic commentary from the guys that were actually there - very moving when the 2 delta snipers rope down to the crash site, no one says a word.

My Little Eye - nice film and great use of the DVD format.

Monty Pythons Holy Grail SE - brilliant extras all round.

And the first Matrix. Shows what can be done with the DVD format - Follow The White Rabbit.

As for a film that no one else has recommended Battle Royale. Great film.

tart1
27th Mar 2005, 16:45
For a Few Dollars More ........... it is the best of the Clint Eastwood Spag Westerns in my very humble opinion. :)

Ian Corrigible
27th Mar 2005, 16:47
IMHO, some of the best 'lesser known' movies include Heat, Ronin and Spy Game.

I/C

Incipient Sinner
27th Mar 2005, 16:54
As Mr Corrigible said,

Ronin is great, and the benefit of the DVD over the vid is that you get the extras.

Ronin has a great piece on the filming of car chases and the director's comentry is second to none. Definately recommended.

mattd2k
27th Mar 2005, 17:32
The Shawshank Redemption is surely a must for everyones DVD collection. I never get bored of watching it.

I'll also second the previous suggestions of The Matrix, Seven, plus the Indiana Jones and Star Wars Trilogies.

Spikeee
27th Mar 2005, 18:05
Has to be the Friends box set. My friend just got it, has something like 86hours of episodes! Love it! I'm watching the Series 4 Episodes 9 - 16 now :)

Spikeee

Loki
27th Mar 2005, 18:06
Bagdad Cafe, Paris Texas, Amelie, The Dish.

Some good music DVDs out there too just got a Joni Mitchell one: great!

El Grifo
27th Mar 2005, 19:19
Like Ontario tech, I always recommend Private Ryan, or even more so, Apocalypse Now.

I am often met with the reaction "I don't like War Films"

I simply reply " They are not war Films, they are Anti-War Films"

Jerricho
27th Mar 2005, 19:20
747Focal probably has some he could lend you..............froma quaint little shop in SoHo :E

Diverse
27th Mar 2005, 21:03
'Once Upon A Time In The West' - If Westerns are the thing.

'Band Of Brothers' - box set.

aged
27th Mar 2005, 21:08
I have a problem spending a lot on a film dvd, once I've watched it it's a good length of time before I want to see it again.
I've started buying more music dvd's, I can watch them over and over, plus you can have them playing and you don't have to watch the screen all the time, there's no plot to follow!
But when you're in foreign parts where they are very cheap it's hard to resist, movies or music

tart1
27th Mar 2005, 21:17
Diverse - that was a fantastic film. Charlie Bronson was sex-on-legs ......... not that he would appeal to all the readers of this thread. :E

It was a good film - over-complicated plot but who cares about that as long as there's plenty of eye-candy and lots of chasing, shooting, killing, etc.

Rollingthunder
27th Mar 2005, 21:27
The best Western ever made.

Films don't come much more highly-regarded than Once Upon a Time in the West, Sergio Leone's western-to-end-all-westerns. After his much-praised "Dollars" trilogy with Clint Eastwood - all brilliant, all better than the one before - Leone combined his Spaghetti Western style with a more authentic Hollywood-style story to deliver what may be the ultimate film in the genre.

The story essentially centres around a character played by Charles Bronson (wouldn't you guess it, in the film his character has no name - well, apart from his "Harmonica" nickname) who is hell-bent on killing local gunslinger Frank, played against type by Henry Fonda. We don't know why he's so hellbent on killing him until a brutal flashback at the end of the film reveals that Frank killed Harmonica's brother when they were children. Meanwhile, Frank has slaughtered a man and his three children in order to get hold of his land so he can make money from the railroad that's soon to pass over it - framing another local gunman, Cheyenne (Jason Robards) - but the dead man's brand new wife, Jill (Claudia Cardinale), has just arrived in town from New Orleans and is determined to settle there herself. This is not an unfamiliar tale for fans of westerns, but what truly sets this film apart is Leone's Italian stylings that run through all of it. The lengthy opening sequece is virtually 15 minutes of shots of someone sitting on a chair outside a railway station trying to get rid of an annoying fly - but Leone makes it so compelling with his use of sound effects, camera angles and occasional cuts to other, similarly banal, scenarios.

Having pretty much rewritten the effect that music can have on a film with the Dollars trilogy, it was inevitable that Leone would turn to his high-school friend Ennio Morricone for the music once again. Truly original, daring and brilliant, Morricone hit previously-unscaled heights with The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, rarely looked upon as much of a serious score simply because of its non-traditional setting; but I can think of few better film scores. Though one does spring readily to mind: Once Upon a Time in the West. While it doesn't have the big, quirky opening sequence theme (in fact, the whole opening sequence is left unscored, a move so unexpected that it only adds to its brilliance), it more than makes up for it with the wealth of material on offer for the rest of the movie.

Three themes dominate; two must surely be considered absolute classics of film music. The most famous is of course the main theme for orchestra and the wordless solo soprano of Edda dell'Orso, a device Morricone has used on numerous occasions but surely never to quite this effect. Its most brilliant use in the film is when Jill first arrives at the train station and discovers that her new husband and his children are not there to meet her - the camera follows her through the door to the station, then pulls back, moves up and the moment it reveals what is beyond the station - the busy town - the music swells to its biggest proportions. It's as stunning a use of music in film as you could find.

The second theme is for Bronson's character. As you may imagine from his nickname, he plays the harmonica, and somewhat dissonant (if such thing is possible on the harmonica) strains open and close it; and in the middle is the most breathtaking section for choir and orchestra. It's a moving, driving piece of music, littered throughout the film when Bronson does anything much worthwile. (My favourite part of his is when he first appears - he is greeted by three hitmen who have been sent to kill him, and their three horses - he says "Haven't you brought a horse for me?" - they say "Looks like we brought one horse too few" - he replies "I'd say you brought two too many" and kills them all.)

The third major theme is for Cheyenne. It's a sort of clip-clop theme featuring banjo and is probably the only aspect of the score to have dated - but it still sounds great. Finally, and heard for the first time on RCA's expanded version of the score released in 1999, is a theme for Morton, a miniature gem of a piece, which plays as he crawls to his death. Add to these themes the amount of non-thematic material and the amount of variation Morricone adds to his major themes (especially the main one, heard to stunning effect in both a strings-only version in "A Dimly-Lit Room" and most rapturously in the "Finale") and you get a score that can surely not fail to please.

Any student of filmmaking or film scoring who wanted to witness the pinnacle of what can be achieved in film through music should watch Once Upon a Time in the West. Leone's operatic sense and the fact that much of the film was in fact choreographed to a pre-recorded score means that in many ways this is the ultimate film music fan's movie; the album is certainly deserving a of a place in any collection.

reynoldsno1
27th Mar 2005, 21:36
The Alec Guinness Ealing Comedy Collection: Lavender Hill Mob, Kind Hearts & Coronets, The Man In the White Suit, The Lady killers
Wonderful.....
No Man's Land (Serbo-Croat Oscar winner)
My Life As A Dog (Swedish ... no, not what you think....)
Irish Tour '74 (Rory Gallagher documentary)
Beautiful Boxer (Thai - based on true story of transexual Thai boxer)
Supergrass is 10 - very cheap DVD for some great music and a bonus documentary that is surprisingly compelling...

tart1
27th Mar 2005, 21:41
Rollingthunder ... that was great!!

I feel like a light-weight by comparison with my shallow post. But it was interesting to read all about the film. I am not a film-buff but I knew I loved this one. It was far ahead of its time in the atmosphere it created without the aid of present-day special computer-enhanced effects, etc.

Rollingthunder
27th Mar 2005, 21:50
Sorry, I should say that was a review by someone else, plucked from Google.

tart1
27th Mar 2005, 21:54
Funny - that's exactly what my son has just said it must be, reading over my shoulder!!

It was still very interesting.

Another film where music made for an amazing atmosphere was Doctor Zhivago.

tony draper
27th Mar 2005, 22:02
Alus loved westerns, the spagetti variety were ground breaking in there day, but they seem a tad naff now, good music terrible dubbing,daffy plots prefer Eastwoods western movies after he returned to Hollywood.
Granddady of all western makers was Sam Peckinpaw IMHO, Pat Garret and Billy the Kid, and Wild Bunch, never be beat,couple of Burt Lancaster ones, Lawman, Ulzanas raid, pretty good also.
Never thought anything of John Wayne westerns his last few were ok,True Grit , The Shootist.
:rolleyes:

PS A western movie that was panned by the critics and just about everybody else was Heavens Gate, watched it for the first time a few months back,I thought it was very good.

Bre901
27th Mar 2005, 22:10
Talking about westerns, does anyone remember McCabe & Mrs. Miller ? (featuring a couple of Leonard Cohen's first songs), although it should have been called a northwestern, rather.

Rollingthunder
27th Mar 2005, 22:17
Another excellent western and a great track, although if you are here in British Columbia, it's more a southwestern. Very atmospheric.

tony draper
27th Mar 2005, 22:23
Twas on telly just a few weeks ago, don't recal which channel now, one has so many.
:E

Stupendous Man
27th Mar 2005, 23:22
A good option for those that don't want to buy DVDs is the rental route. There are a number of good rental services online - monthly fee, keep DVDs as long as you want (up to 3 at a time usually) and free post/returns. I've never used them myself, but have heard good stuff.

Lovefilm, screenselect and mailboxmovies all offer this - and I think you can get tv boxed sets - so if you want to get your hands on 24, band of brothers,west wing or whatever this may be a cheaper route than a boxed set.

Saying that Band Of Brothers is worth every penny.

And the Jaws 25th Anniversery is worth getting too.

And Dog Soldiers - great example of some UK talent in a good UK film.

Jerricho
28th Mar 2005, 01:33
Dog Soldiers

Actually, that was a good flick. A little "messy" in parts (especially with the dog)

Ultralights
28th Mar 2005, 02:11
Top Gun, in 5.1 surround! :}

HandspringGuy
28th Mar 2005, 02:46
The reason I decided to leave my highly paid job and become a pilot was because I watched 'Vanilla Sky' - honestly.
Watch it with an open mind and who knows what crazy $h!t you will do.
Also (possibly my favourite film ever) Mr.Holland's Opus

To buy a DVD means watching over and over again. Here are some others from my collection, in no particular oder:

The Usual Suspects, Jerry Maguire, Shrek, Gallipoli (just for the ending), Risky Business, Donnie Brasco, Donnie Darko, A Wonderful Life, Spartacus, Saving Private Ryan, Taxi Driver, Full Metal Jacket, Chinatown, Bullitt, An Officer & a Gentleman, Dirty Harry, Jaws, Aliens, Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Blue Velvet , Dead Calm, About Schmidt, Ben-Hur, American Graffiti, Kramer vs. Kramer, The Crying Game , La Femme Nikita, In the Heat of the Night, Quadrophenia, Rebel Without a Cause, Apocalypse Now, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, The Seven Samurai, Mad Max 2, Boyz N the Hood, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, Rosemary's Baby, The French Connection, The Breakfast Club, Cool Hand Luke, The Deer Hunter, The Godfather Part II, Repo Man, A Streetcar Named Desire and Once were Warriors.

If there are any films not on this list worth watching twice, I want to know.

henry crun
28th Mar 2005, 04:22
HSG: Have you heard of "Wages of Fear" ?

A French oldie, mid 50's I think, but a good one.

Gainesy
28th Mar 2005, 06:25
Dunno if its on DVD but "The Tank" is a good movie, about a Russian conscript tank driver, captured in Afghanistan.

Band of brothers set is best watched in the correct order.:rolleyes:

ORAC
28th Mar 2005, 06:35
Princess Bride (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005LOKQ/002-0078019-4644052?v=glance), Blade Runner (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083658)

HandspringGuy
28th Mar 2005, 09:54
...silly me, forgot Bladerunner. Tsk Tsk

Dogma, The Shawshank Redemption, Leon, Fight Club, The Green Mile, The Sting And Butch & Sundance

reynoldsno1
28th Mar 2005, 10:57
Top Gun, in 5.1 surround!
file under comedy/cartoon section, and you can surround it with whatever you like, preferably toxic & highly flammable....
"Wages of Fear"
1953 - many variations on a theme, but a superb movie. It has been re-made many times, of course, not least as "Acopalypse Now" - I love the original (Yves Montand, naturellement), but the remake with Roy Scheider in 1977 nearly eclipsed it...actually, probably did - he should have got(ten) an Oscar... nail biting, sh*it blocking stuff.......

BillHicksRules
28th Mar 2005, 12:38
TD,

Have you seen Silverado with Scott Glenn, Kevin Kline, Danny Glover and Kevin Costner, to name but a few?

Cheers

BHR

Sally Cinnamon
28th Mar 2005, 13:16
Good to hear somebody mention 'Vanilla Sky', a vastly underated film that I'm sure will one day be regarded as a classic. Just out of interest I believe Penelope Cruz is the only actress ever to star in both the original film (Open your eyes) and the remake (Vanilla Sky) playing the same character.

Trainspotting and The Shining should surely be in everyones collection too. :ok:

HandspringGuy
28th Mar 2005, 14:15
Trainspotting, yes...and Shallow Grave

CarltonBrowne the FO
28th Mar 2005, 20:50
If you enjoy the spaghetti westerns, try My Name is Nobody (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070215/) . Henry Fonda plays the aging gunfighter to perfection (the scene in the barber's chair is great) and Terence Hill plays the younger gunman out to beat him...
Alternatively, try Yojimbo (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055630/) - this provided the plot for A Fistful of Dollars. Black and White, with subtitles, but worth every minute.
By way of variety, I would suggest A Bridge Too Far.

flying bizzie
28th Mar 2005, 21:04
The Italian Job (The original film). The out takes are superb, especially where the mini's find themselves on an ice rink......a shame they left it out of the film.

It's a Wonderful Life, a good Christmas film starring Jimmy Stewart. Buy it now 'cos it will soon be Christmas!!:ok:

tony draper
28th Mar 2005, 21:05
Yup Silverado been on telly a few times,another good Western Is Missouri Breaks with thingy, got one of the best lines in any Westerm
"The reason you woke up you son ofa bitch is I just cut yer throat"
Second best line in any Western,from Pat garret and Billy the Kid.
"Will some of you get those men off the ground and into it"
:uhoh:

Jerricho
28th Mar 2005, 21:05
Buy it now 'cos it will soon be Christmas!

Grrrrrrr..........

Buster Hyman
28th Mar 2005, 23:42
Methinks Mr Draper may enjoy "Dances with Wolves" for its sweeping vistas & non conformist plot, however, I would recommend nothing less than a 68cm idiot box or better yet, a widescreen one.

Now, for movies where the reliance is not upon special effects, try "12 Angry men" or "The Interview" with Hugo Weaving. Nothing like a film where the story is everything.:ok:

wiggy
29th Mar 2005, 06:58
Here's my two-pence worth

The Usual Suspects
Band of Brothers Boxed set
Saving Private Ryan
Shawshank
The Blues Brothers
Animal House
Life of Brian
Amiele
Empire of the Sun ( not one of Speilberg's best but the
P-51 airfield attack scene is stunning, one of the best pieces of aviation to be found on any film, ever,IMHO.)
Dr Stangelove

and finally, the all time classic, "Zoltan, hound of Dracula"............

Maxflyer
29th Mar 2005, 07:47
Foreign first:

The Bicycle Thieves - Old b&w Italian Film - Vittorio De Sica
Cinema Paradiso - Giuseppe Tornatore
The Big Blue (Luc Besson)

...and the rest in no particular order.

All Star Wars (even the crappy last one)
Blade Runner
Behind Enemy Lines
Black Hawk Down
Shawshank Redemption
As Good As It Gets
Jungle Book (Disney Cartoon)
Angel Heart
Mississippi Burning
The Battle Of Britain
Terminator (1)
Sixth Sense
Seven

and lots more besides

Blackshift
29th Mar 2005, 07:57
TV Drama : I CLAVDIVS, Heimat

TV Humour : Fawlty Towers, Father Ted, Monkey Dust, Peep Show

Movies (The few I can think of that you might want to watch more than once and you might not have seen before...) : A Matter of Life and Death, The Complete Python Movies, The Ninth Configuration, Hotshots, This is Spinal Tap, and just about anything by Stanley Kubrick

Music : Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii

Capt Pit Bull
29th Mar 2005, 09:45
From the Earth to the Moon, box set.

Alternatively they have just started reshowing it on Sky.

CPB

Send Clowns
29th Mar 2005, 09:55
I buy very few, as I don't find that many films interesting enough to choose to watch more than once, with standard Hollywood output I'm happy to wait for the next time it's on telly, even for the good ones. However I have a few I would recommend that are out of the ordinary, rarely on TV and so good you won't want to wait to see them again.

Twin Town - great dark comedy, set in Swansea, better than the contemporary Trainspotting
Donnie Darko - dark, odd
LA Confidential - very good, unusually so from mainstream Hollywood

Below are those I haven't got but would like - anyone know where I can get any of these at reasonable prices?

Delicatessen - dark comedy, French with subtitles
A Clockwork Orange - brilliantly true to Burgess's startling book
Dr Strangelove - pure, dark, hilarious satire
Shooting Fish - great satirical comedy
Cyrano de Bergerac - Depardieu version, French rhyming couplets translated into English rhyming couplets

Finally a few I'd like to see again to judge whether they are worth it, as I liked them many years ago.

The Favour the Watch and the Very Big Fish - odd British comedy
Cité des Enfants Perdu - same director as Delicatessen

HandspringGuy
29th Mar 2005, 11:00
Send Clowns, great to see a fan of Twin Town. Most people outside of Abertawe don't get the humour. :ok:

....another must have is DOGMA or any of Kevin Smith's movies for that matter (A Better Place, Chasing Amy, Mallrats, Clerks, Good Will Hunting, etc)

BlueEagle
29th Mar 2005, 11:14
A nice lightweight with a message down here is "The Castle", it is Australian comedy and well worth a watch, probably quite cheap to buy and easy to rent as well, I would think.