PDA

View Full Version : ALAEA FORUM censorship

sys 4
27th Mar 2005, 08:30
i have been a member of the alaea for a number of yrs and just recently they began their own forum again after much criticism of them closeing their last forum due to members being critical of the way things were being handled.This time round things have not changed but gotten worse.With constant questions from myself and various other members demanding a meeting be held in regards to our EBA expiring 3 mths ago. they have censored and edited my questions and statements because they are not the opinion of the board.They have now gone the final step and removed me because i had the tenacity to question the forums purpose ,if noone can ask the tough questions of the exec what is it any good for

planemad2
27th Mar 2005, 18:39
That is true of many web sites.

Maybe you should start your own. ;)

Son of Brake Boy
28th Mar 2005, 06:06
The attitude demonstrated in moderating the ALAEA forum is purely representative of the ALAEA executives attitude towards those with differing opinions.

The forum was initially established due to the amount of traffic on the internet uncontrolled by the ALAEA. Rumours and negative comments were damaging their control of the union membership.

You will probably have noticed a limited number of people posting on their site. This is for exactly the reason you mentioned.

I agree absolutely with moderation due to bad language or bad content. But moderation because you dont agree with the sentiment of the posting....thats another thing entirely.

The ALAEA forum was not set up for members. Like most other issues of our executive at the moment, they have carried out this action for their own best interest.

Maintain the Rage.

Golden Rivet
28th Mar 2005, 08:56
I've been banned - dont know why http://www.goldenrivet.co.uk/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_twisted.gif

CAR256
28th Mar 2005, 10:43
Thats what you get for being part af a fascist organisation!!!!
Come on! everybody knows what they are like... Have a say, join the AMWU! :D

sys 4
28th Mar 2005, 17:34
CAR 256 that's not far of i think many people who are with the ALAEA will make that decision based on this EBA outcome

Turbo 5B
4th Apr 2005, 10:09
Those bastards just banned me as well.
I don't even think I insulted any one either this time.

Tail_Wheel
5th Apr 2005, 12:59
With only 59 registered users on that forum, before long only the moderators will be left............... :}

Turbo 5B
6th Apr 2005, 08:29
It looks like there are only 58 left now.

The masked goatrider
13th Apr 2005, 23:33
This formal complaint was sent to the ALAEA last week. The acting Federal Secrtetary, part time Qantas Foreman, Tim Heywood is having a little trouble answering it. Does anyone here have any advise to help him?

To the administrators of the ALAEA website forum,

I am writing to formally request an explanation of several issues regarding the ALAEA website forum.
The first issue is the banning of my access to the website forum.
The second issue is the posting on the forum of my personal email address next to any posts that I had contributed to, and on the member list.
On the first issue, I discovered my access had been banned and I was offered no warning or explanation for the reason. As I don't believe that I had made any obscene, racist or slanderous remarks I don't believe that this banning is warranted. People may agree or disagree with points I make (that is their prerogative) , however as a fee paying member of the association I defend my right to have my opinions and to voice them in the association forum, without editing or deletion.
If my views don't line up with the website administrators I do not believe that they should have the right to remove or edit them unless the remarks made are defamatory or obscene.
The fact that certain administrators choose to personally answer as many posts as possible is entirely up to them.
But having said that, if an administrator chooses to debate you on the forum he should at least have the courtesy to debate on equal terms. i.e deleting and editing your side of the argument and displaying it on the forum whilst having a full right of reply does not, I believe, equate to a level playing field.
So I am formally requesting that my access be restored immediately.

On the second issue , the posting of my personal email address on the forum, I am absolutely astounded as to how it came about and just as surprised by the response from the assistant federal secretary to my request to have it removed as quickly as possible.
I discovered, after accessing the site through another computer (due to my computer being barred from the forum site), that next to my name in the forum member list and next to any posts that I had made there was an email symbol. I selected this symbol and my home email address was displayed. I did not have to log onto the site, meaning that anybody with internet access could read my email address. As my email address is similar to my name this gives me several concerns. It is easy for someone who may not agree with something I have to say being able to identify and possibly confront me publicly with out my wishes and also that I now may start receiving nuisance emails from sources around the world.
As I have not consented for the ALAEA to publish my details on the forum site or to share them with any other organization or individual I believe that the publishing of my private email details on the forum breaches the privacy act and was therefore illegal.
When I made a request via the Assistant secretary to have the email address removed immediately and for an explanation as to how it got posted on the forum he made the assertion that they had to offer no explanation and that he would look into having the address removed when he had time to. There was no offer of an apology or explanation. He even seemed surprised (indignant even) that I had made a request for an explanation.
I am hereby requesting forthwith a formal explanation into why my private email address was posted on the forum site and an apology for doing so.
I am also seeking an assurance that the association will not allow another outrageously appalling breach of privacy to happen to any member through this forum site.

A union is about the protection of its members, and not about exposing them to risks such as this.

Yours sincerely

Son of Brake Boy
14th Apr 2005, 06:54
Why has this attitude become typical of OUR union executive?

Why is this attitude tolerated?

These people who abuse their position in the ALAEA will be named ( as has been done here), singled out, and banished from ANY union support in the near furture.

Left high and dry, they'll be whimpering in the cold dark loneliness of expulsion, wondering what happened to all those promises of granduer from BD and his buddies, asking a question BD himself is contemplating as we speak....

WHERE DID MY LIFE GO WRONG?

Maintain the Rage

vortsa
14th Apr 2005, 07:11
I can remember, it was during an EBA when he sold us all out for an executive position in Qantas, how can anyone trust a man like that.

Every EBA since then I have been fearful of how much our leaders actually care for the members. It is "whats in it for me" and "to hell with the rest of you".

We need a leader who is prepared to take it on the chin and to hell with the consequences, I know of such a man, I pray that he will be here for us when the time comes.

fordran
14th Apr 2005, 21:25
I wouldn't put it past the asn to treat one of their members like this but nothing surprises me now with this mob. So lets have a look at the sequence of events here-

-a member voices his concerns and wishes for a better wage outcome
-the asn don't like what he is posting so they edit his posts
-he continues to complain about the way the eba dispute is getting handled
-they alter his user preferences so his name and email are publically viewable
-he complains to the Fed Sec who is too busy to look into it
-the airline see who he is and never train him again

Great. It doesn't surprise me that the 2 moderators have just blown a fortune of our money trying and failing to sue one of our members for defamation.

Gigi' The Mutant
14th Apr 2005, 22:02
If it makes you boys feel any better, this seems to be very little difference between the AIPA com and the ALAEA exec in relation to thier 'special' relationship with the company.

fordran
14th Apr 2005, 23:48
Thanks Gigi,

The good news is that the ALAEA Executive are now using borrowed time. In 14 months we will be removing every single one of them from office. Then we make contact with the pilots to help organise their takeover. See you there.

Turbo 5B
15th Apr 2005, 14:13
If thats true it is the most disgusting thing that I have seen in 16 yrs of belonging to unions.

The masked goatrider
18th Apr 2005, 23:53
It is disgusting but the ****e that goes on behind closed doors at that place would make your stomach cringe.

In complete contrast to the undemocratic ALAEA site is the glsol forum where free speach appears to be encouraged. A poll for the main Line maint job at Qantas has now started. Have your say on who will be our next boss-

http://glsol.com/airboard/viewtopic.php?t=145

I know that Eddie Mcguire may have a finger in every pie the fool who voted for him really needs a reality check.