PDA

View Full Version : Ban kilts - but religious dress is ok - hypocrisy?

aged
26th Mar 2005, 20:24
I see Cambridge University wants to ban the wearing of the kilt at graduations on the basis that people are not graduating as Scots or soldiers or whatever but as members of Cambridge University.

It then goes on to say that religious dress is, however, acceptable

kilt ban (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/4384391.stm)

This seems a wee bit biased to me. The national clothing of a Scot, part of the UK for a while now, is not allowed but the religious (close to national) dress of other continents is fine?

Another brick in the wall

Jerricho
26th Mar 2005, 20:31
That's has just topped the list of "stupid dumb things from the UK' ever. :rolleyes:

Are Aussies allowed to wear hats with corks on them? (assuming of course Cambridge would actually allow Aussies in there in the first place)

Flypro
26th Mar 2005, 20:45
Don't worry Jerricho, even if Aussie's do get in.....they have to graduate first:ok:

shortandesperate
26th Mar 2005, 20:53
Merely discussing this tosh lends Gravitas it does not merit.
If anyone out there has any influence at Cambridge (unlikely more OU level or former polytechnic at best here).....
Anyway could you ask the powers that be what the **** is going on?

Lon More
26th Mar 2005, 20:56
Presumably some PC luvvies afraid of seeing what a real man looks like.

Nothing is worn under the kilt, it's all in perfect working order.

If you see two Quarter Pounders he's a McDonald

Onan the Clumsy
26th Mar 2005, 22:32
If you see two Quarter Pounders he's probably an Angus

CarltonBrowne the FO
26th Mar 2005, 23:12
If you see three Quarter Pounders tell him to see his doctor quick.

Onan the Clumsy
27th Mar 2005, 00:35
but you'll never see four quarter pounders..

...because that's a whole poond

Loose rivets
27th Mar 2005, 00:53
If you see 4 quarter pounders, there’s two people in there:D

Onan the Clumsy
27th Mar 2005, 01:12
If you saw fifty six quarter pounders, you'd be two stoned to notice :8

Blacksheep
27th Mar 2005, 01:48
And just who says The Kilt isn't a religious garment? :hmm:

fernytickles
27th Mar 2005, 02:57
Perhaps they could just wear these.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11506&item=3966696196&rd=1

West Coast
27th Mar 2005, 04:32
Ask the French, they have experience in banning clothing the government finds offensive.

enicalyth
27th Mar 2005, 06:49
er,

I'm aussie and went to cambridge and formed the opinion that the preferred english (not scottish) national dress was fishnets and a strategically placed satsuma.

excuse me while i kick my wallet all the way down to george....

Grandpa
27th Mar 2005, 07:30
............would we ban the kilts of our allied Scots from old!

(.........and imagine the come without it.)

Roghead
27th Mar 2005, 14:12
Looks like the English are at it again!

It's too long to reproduce in whole but here you can read about the Act.
A short extract....
"This enactment as to the Highland dress was as unwise as religious intolerance, which is invariably a nurse of discord, a promoter of sectarianism. This Act surrounded the Highland dress with a sort of sacred halo, raised it into a badge or nationality, and was probably the means of perpetuating and rendering popular the use of a habit, which, had it been left alone, might long ere now have died a natural death, and been found only in our museums, side by side with the Lochaber axe, the two-handed sword, and the nail-studded shield."

:ok:The Act (www.electricscotland.com/history/highland_dress.htm)

El Grifo
27th Mar 2005, 18:24
If ever an institution needed to be told to simply ****-off and die, this is the time.

:ok: :cool: :ok:

tony draper
27th Mar 2005, 18:40
Will they still be able to paint their faces blue though?
As one who is half Jockistani one resents this, apparently tiz ok to go clad like a Muja Hadeen warrior but not like Mel Gibson.
Tiz not on,**** em

Cambridge be stopping the Old Boys wearing their KGB medals next.
:E

Maude Charlee
28th Mar 2005, 17:19
I thought they were all homosexual at Cambridge, in which case you might just claim that you aren't wearing a kilt, merely expressing your feminine side by wearing a skirt and you just happen to have a particular fondness for tartan. As you are now a persecuted minority of the kind beloved of liberal weenies, the university authorities would be more than accomodating.

No self-respecting, hairy-arsed Scot would go to Cambridge anyway, so who are these kilt wearers? :suspect:

Onan the Clumsy
28th Mar 2005, 17:29
No self-respecting, hairy-arsed Scot would go to Cambridge anyway, so who are these kilt wearers? Must be from Edinburgh then

Safety_Helmut
28th Mar 2005, 17:43
I don't suppose they would consider just banning Jocks.

SH :ok:

SmilingKnifed
28th Mar 2005, 18:07
So as a Welshman I'm safe to wear my cilt then? No mention of our national dress!

El Grifo
28th Mar 2005, 18:15
No No Taff, you just carry on wearing your clit, I am sure they have no plans to take things that far.

:ok: :cool: :ok:

tony draper
28th Mar 2005, 18:16
Hmmm just as well yer got those four letters in the right order Mr Smilin

El Grifo
28th Mar 2005, 18:25
Ah, right - - - That'll be the Taff spelling like.

:8