View Full Version : BST

pilotwolf
26th Mar 2005, 14:21
Don't forget we all lose an hours sleep tonight when the clocks go forward :(

(In the UK at least).

PW

Konkordski
26th Mar 2005, 14:48
Nah...do what I do: wait until 4pm on Tuesday and then put your clock forward, and [email protected] off home an hour early.

acbus1
26th Mar 2005, 15:10
I shan't lose any sleep over this.

P!$$e$ me off, though....leave the [email protected]@dy clocks alone! :rolleyes:

Leprechaun
26th Mar 2005, 15:54
What is the reasoning behind all this buggering about with the clocks anyway? Anyone got a sane explanation?

Grainger
26th Mar 2005, 16:10
Handy Home Hint #137:

Save time on fiddly clock changing by simply getting up and going to work an hour earlier !

Jerricho
26th Mar 2005, 16:12
What is the reasoning behind all this buggering about with the clocks anyway? Anyone got a sane explanation?

So you can take advantage of the well known English climate and weather :E

tart1
26th Mar 2005, 16:15
It's so it can get light at 04.00 in the middle of summer when the majority of people are asleep. :rolleyes:

Wouldn't an extra hour of daylight in the evening be more use generally? :confused:

tony draper
26th Mar 2005, 16:15
The UK was the first country to Standardise time,as we had railways whilst the rest of the world were still using horse and carts.
:rolleyes:

EDDNHopper
26th Mar 2005, 16:20
Iīm afraid standardised time didnīt help UK railways much to run on time.

VFE
26th Mar 2005, 16:30
Always find it rather depressing when the clocks go forward. It spells the end of those cozy cold winter nights. Personally, I'd be happy to live in darkness all the time - there's something clandestine and exciting about night time!

Anyone lived in the upper latitudes where the sun barely rises? Wazzit like?

VFE.

acbus1
26th Mar 2005, 19:08
VFE ithhhhhhhh Dr-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-cula...................:uhoh:

Helli-Gurl
26th Mar 2005, 20:32
Do the clocks go forward in the rest of Europe to, which European countries don't do this?.

Krystal n chips
26th Mar 2005, 20:47
VFE---erm not sure how to put this--but have you considered seeing a therapist---like tomorrow for instance;) --those cold cozy winter nights ??-----:confused: sod that !!!!--the hotter / longer and more daylight the better I reckon----course, that could also be related to the fact I am frequently working during these hours-----however--I still think you need a long course of intense therapy !:D :D :ok:

henry crun
26th Mar 2005, 21:17
tart1: You have got it the wrong way round.

The idea and effect of daylight saving does give you an extra hour in the evening when the clocks go forward.

1DC
26th Mar 2005, 21:23
In about two weeks time my dear wife will say to me "My watch is wrong is it something to do with summer time"...

Jerricho
26th Mar 2005, 21:28
Heh. Mrs Jerricho often forgot the time change thingie and I would have to go around and change all the clocks. Unfortunately, the year before last I was attending a gentlemen's evening of entertainment at the local purveyor of fine beverages and arrived home very early in the morning. I thought to myself "Hey, I'd better change all the clocks". Very happy with myself, I went and changed all the clocks in the house, including Mrs J's watch that had been left in the kitchen. I was so proud at having remembered, I had another beer and collapsed into bed.

And upon waking the next day being yelled at because Mrs J HAD remembered to change all the clocks, and they were now all an hour fast (except my watch which funnily enough I had forgotten). :\

TheOddOne
26th Mar 2005, 21:30
Blasted clocks going back & forth! Really gets my goat!

All the clocks in our Control Room stay on UTC, except for the one in the mess room, which we change to local, hence 'kitchen clock time'.

Everyone at LGW works to proper aviation time, except good old BA, who always want to talk in kitchen clock time, for some mad reason. At least I believe sanity rules on their flight decks...

How about a campaign to get us to stay on UTC all the year round domestically as well as operationally? And while we're at it, we can get back to calling it Greenwich Mean Time, instead of Universal Temps Coordinaire.

I'm on a night shift at the moment, so I'll actually benefit by being at work for one hour less (without loss of pay, too!!!) This assumes my relief in the morning has remembered to set his alarm for an hour earlier!!!

Cheers,
TheOddOne

henry crun
26th Mar 2005, 21:40
To add to the confusion for some, the Pprune clock has changed to BST. :)

tart1
26th Mar 2005, 21:42
Yes but ............ Henry, I was a little hasty with my post and I now see what you mean.

I think the general concensus though is that we wish that the clocks could be left at the same time all the year round and not changed backwards and then forwards annually. We're bored with it!!

:p

Does anyone remember when they changed the clocks by 2 hours - back in the 70s I think? :eek:

pilotwolf
26th Mar 2005, 22:06
The only trouble is The Odd One is when they go back - if you re unlucky enough to work that night you do 13hrs and get paid for 12 :(

PW

anoxic
26th Mar 2005, 23:00
I wish they'd leave the clocks alone. The extra hour of sunlight is burning the paint off my front door.

tony draper
26th Mar 2005, 23:57
One tends not to bother changing clocks and such, one will eventually get round to it in a few days one supposes, multiplexers, recording, puters kit ect updates themselves,one really doesn't know what all the fuss is about, one really doesn't,sniff!
:cool: :rolleyes: