PDA

View Full Version : Dog Dilemma

Gainesy
26th Mar 2005, 13:38
I have been offered a one year old labrador dog whose owner needs to get rid of it because its fine with her daughter (8yr old) but "snaps" at her teenage son. The dog is called Buster.

I already have two lab dogs, trouble is, the older one is also called Buster.

I know its fairly easy to retrain a dog to a new name but I can't see how it'd work when its got another dog around with the same name.

Any ideas?

acbus1
26th Mar 2005, 13:41
Adopt the teenage son instead.

brockenspectre
26th Mar 2005, 14:01
Gainesy well done you for even considering taking on this pup!! As for the name? When I kind of grumbled that Karma had that name as his short name his breeder told me I could easily rename him. I didn't because I was going to be his fourth home (after three times in public rescue and back to breeder) by the age of 4 so I figured that a new name as well would just be unfair!

Dogs don't hear the word but the sound, remember? so giving the new boy a different name will be fine - make a point of getting a new a new collar and leash and if he comes with a blankie, just be ready to bin it after a couple months so memories of where he was before won't "live" with him.

I know he is not exactly a rescue but there is a great book (well there are many and this is one among them) called "Secondhand Dog" by Carole Lea Benjamin which is useful 'cos even though he is a puppy he may still come with some unwanted baggage! :ok:

Onan the Clumsy
26th Mar 2005, 14:32
You could try looking at this book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0812966902/qid=1111847645/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/102-7751422-1964157)

or his others like this (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1400062438/qid=1111847645/sr=2-2/ref=pd_ka_b_2_2/102-7751422-1964157)

Gainesy
26th Mar 2005, 15:05
Thanks so far, the problem is, how to wean him off his old name when he constantly hears it applied to the Buster I already have?

acbus1
26th Mar 2005, 15:08
Change both dog's names.

brockenspectre
26th Mar 2005, 15:36
Gainesy I only belong to forums dealing with Shibas but I will ask the question there as there are a lot of experienced dog folk there and see what response I get! :ok:

tony draper
26th Mar 2005, 15:59
Just modify the name slightly, one called Buster one called Bustee.
When its freezing cold and chucking it down yerl be able to say,
"Suppose I berra take you bustards out"
:rolleyes:
A tip, if you have to introduce a new pooch to the home always let the new one greet the others in neutral territory such as the park,especialy if they are two dogs,bitches aren't as bad, but its still a good policy to do the same for bitches, tiz a mistake just to bring a new pooch into the home, unless its a very young pup.

:cool:

Cyclic Hotline
26th Mar 2005, 16:15
Maybe you could rename him Bastard?

It seems to be a perrenially popular name for dogs, as I continually hear the owners calling in the hounds, "Come here you bastard".

But judging from the apparent lack of control it exerts over the dog, maybe they don't like being called that?

But it is certainly an easy adaptation from his original name! :8

tony draper
26th Mar 2005, 16:24
The thing to remember about naming a dog is to realise that you may be wandering the streets at some time loudly calling out the name, so if yer call it Trixy Bell yer gonna feel a bit of a whelk.
:uhoh:

Cyclic Hotline
26th Mar 2005, 16:31
A friend of mine has a dog called Jesus - the name the original owner had given it, but he never changed it.

People give him a very wide berth in the park if he walks around calling his dog! In fact, they tend to run away!:}

BlueDiamond
26th Mar 2005, 16:39
It seems to be a perrenially popular name for dogs,
There's a similar thing here in Oz where a lot of the working dogs seem to be given the same name which you hear everywhere ... it's "Fcukya."

"Get back in the ute, Fcukya."
"Leave it alone, Fcukya."
"Git over here, Fcukya."

etc. :rolleyes:

1DC
26th Mar 2005, 17:38
I named mine sex. Now sex has been very embarrassing to me. When I went to renew his dog licence, I told the clerk i would like a licence for sex. He said,"I'd like to have one too."
Then I said, "but this is a dog."He said he wouldn't care what she looked like." Then I said, "you don't understand. I've had sex since I was nine years old." He said, "You must have been quite a kid."
When i got married and went on my honeymoon, I took the dog with me. I told the motel clerk that i wanted a room for my wife and me, and another special room for sex. He said every room was for sex. I said," You don't understand, sex keeps me awake at night." The clerk said, "Me too."
One day I entered sex in a contest, but before the competition began the dog ran away. Another contestant asked why I was just standing there, looking around. I told him I had planned to have sex in the contest. He told me I should have sold my own tickets. "But you don't understand," I said. "I had hoped to have sex on TV." He called me a showoff.
When my wife and i got divorced we went to court to fight for custody of the dog. I said "Your honour, I had sex before I was married." He said "Me too." Then I told him that after I was married sex disappeared. He said "I know."
Anyway I got custody of the dog but last night sex ran off again. I spent hours looking around town for him. A policeman came over to me and said "What are you doing in this alley at four o'clock in the morning?" I said I was looking for sex.

My case comes up on friday....

Val d'Isere
27th Mar 2005, 06:16
As an example one of mine has a kennel name, a proper name, and a common name.

The kennel name is never used
So that's two names, then. :confused:

BTW, does your dog look confused?

Or just disdainful?

;)

Loose rivets
27th Mar 2005, 06:48
My mate’s mum used to put up with me while I was studying at Cass. She lived in White Heart Lane.

Taking on a stray cat, she used to put the food bowl down saying ‘ee-arr’

It never responded to anything else.

gatfield
27th Mar 2005, 06:51
Reccomendation;

Send teenage boy away for remedial training. If Buster still bites him, send teenage boy to pound.The family could say they moved and couldn't find a home which was suitable for teenagers. You could try desexing him, but it prolly wont help as it is learnt beahviour. Anyway, he obviously has a bad temperament and Buster is picking up on this. It will be hard on the family , but in the long run it will save the boy from a life of crime and heartache for the family. Family should just try and have another baby to replace teeanger. And Buster and Buster can stay in their original homes and everyone will be much happier.

;)

Solid Rust Twotter
27th Mar 2005, 09:37
Gatfield

Marry me.......:ok:

brockenspectre
27th Mar 2005, 10:00
Second Attempt!
I put up a post to this thread about an hour ago but for some reason it has disappaered!! Oh well - if it then appears and this looks like duplication, that is why!

Anyway, Gainesy I got several responses from the Shiba List re renaming, all positive and saying that the new name should be as unlike the original as possible. One of the more helpful replies said this it shouldn't be a problem for the Lab to learn a new name, but it might be tough for him to forget his old one - lol! I run into this question a lot at training classes, whether or not you can rename a dog. Once we remember that a dog does not know that "Fluffy" is it's name - it just knows that when a human makes that sound it means they are supposed to pay attention. So it's relatively easy to rename a dog, as long as you don't use their old name. They will learn quickly to respond to the word/sound that the new owner wants them to respond to. BUT if you still say that old name to him, he will respond - he won't know it's he other dog that you were wanting, not him. It might take a bit for him to learn not to respond to that old name, but I'd think it would take a lot of emphasis with him on the new name.
Hope this helps!! :ok:

Rhodie
27th Mar 2005, 10:17
My dogs have incredibly selective hearing.. (much like the ex-wife), but it doesn't matter what they are doing when I say the word 'biscuit' they come running..

Now, if only that would work with the girls... :E

Cheers

R

Gainesy
27th Mar 2005, 11:42
Thanks for all the helpful and amusing replies. I have now spoken to the lady owner and it turns out that the dog dislikes her, not the kid. Anyway she still can't make up her mind about re-housing the dog and will let me know in a couple of weeks.

I've also learned of a young trainee (= skint) gamekeeper on the lookout for a dog, so if I can't take him, there is a home for him there, which might be better all round anyway. Out all day chasing rabbits = dog heaven.

I'll let you know how it pans out.

acbus1
27th Mar 2005, 15:47
say the word 'biscuit' they come running..

Now, if only that would work with the girls...
The word is m-o-n-e-y. :ok: