View Full Version : Logging Hours JAA/FAA

One of these days
26th Mar 2005, 01:02
Hi all,
I've got a JAA PPL(H) and I'm just wondering if I go out to the states in the summer to fly, will all the hours I do, with / and without an instructor be valid towards a JAA CPL(H) in the future.

I can't see why not, but we all know how over the top the rules can be sometimes, and I just wanted to check.

Thanks for your time and help,

OOTD's

TheFlyingSquirrel
26th Mar 2005, 01:06
Hours is Hours ! Get your logbook signed and validated by the FBO.

FixedRotaryWing
26th Mar 2005, 16:13
JAR-FCL 2 SUBPART D COMMERCIAL PILOT LICENCE (Helicopter) CPL(H)

JAR-FCL 2.155

(b) Modular courses
(1) Experience. An applicant for a CPL(H) who is not a graduate from an integrated flying training course shall have completed as a pilot on helicopters having a certificate of airworthiness issued or accepted by a JAA Member State at least 185 hours of flight time.
(2) Crediting. From the 185 hours of flight time:
[(i)] 20 hours as pilot-in-command holding a PPL(A); or
[(ii)] 50 hours as pilot-in-command holding a CPL(A) [ ] may have been completed in aeroplanes; or
[(iii)]10 hours as pilot-in-command in touring motor gliders or gliders.

Flight time in N-registered helicopters might be of no use to get a JAA-CPL(H).

Genghis the Engineer
26th Mar 2005, 19:03
Firstly a disclaimer, I'm not an instructor and I'm not a helicopter pilot. Also, I've not looked any of this up, so treat what I post accordingly.

However, I do hold JAA and FAA PPL(A)s. (Ok, FAA PPL(SEL) and JAA PPL(SEP)).

In my experience the position is:-

(1) As previously stated, hours is hours, but

(2) JAA will not accept hours by an FAA instructor as hours with an instructor, unless the school is specifically approved (normally by UK CAA) for JAR training.

(3) FAA will not accept a JAA biannual "flight with an instructor" as equivalent to an FAA BFR

(4) JAA will not accept an FAA BFR as equivalent to a JAA biannual "flight with an instructor".

(5) FAA will issue a PPL(SEL) on the back of a JAA PPL(SEP) with no additional flying beyond a BFR. Unless you have a separate night rating on your JAA licence, you get a "no night flying" restriction on your FAA PPL.

So, with my plank licenses, I have no problem with currency / total hours, but have to two biannuals (one FAA and one JAA).

How relevant this is to rotary, I've no idea, but it might help.

G

My names Turkish
27th Mar 2005, 16:51
I'm not a rotary wing pilot but I can offer you some advice from the position of having fixed wing time in the US and back in Europs. I had my CPL application sent back to me on the basis that I had hours logged as P1 that was allowable under FAA regs but not under JAA regs. I had some safety pilot time and time under the hood which the faa says is P1 but under JAA was not. If your at an approved JAA school, like HAI, for example anytime you do there is loggable hours but be carefull how you log the time. I was advised by FAA instructors, in good faith on their part it must be said, to log the hours the way it did. Make sure you log the time under JAA regs if a JAA licence is your ultimate goal. Its real bueauracratic nonsense these petty little differences but its the game you have to play. Best of luck.

One of these days
28th Mar 2005, 09:21
Thank you for your input.

I think it looks as though hour building will be ok if I'm PIC - which is all I'm after at this stage.

Thanks again

OOTD's:ok:

The Nr Fairy
28th Mar 2005, 16:47
Well, when I put in my CPL(H) application, with 45 hours PIC in the US, and another 5 - 8 or so PuT or P1/S with an instructor in the US for checkouts and the like, I didn't have any queries.

As long as you don't try to frig the system, I don't think you'll have a problem.