PDA

View Full Version : Where Do I Go From Here?

BritPilot777
25th Mar 2005, 19:30
Hi All,

I have a JAA PPL with a Multi Engine Rating. I have 32 hours (21 PiC) in the Multi and have 180TT. I also have the FAA Airmen Certificate allowing me to fly unrestricted on my JAA license as well as the 50hours PIC and 50hours XC time.

I'm now looking to get my Instrument Rating.

I have a number of Questions I’m hoping can be answered.

1) With the FAA IR, Can I do it directly onto a Multi or do I need to do the Single Engine IR then add the Multi rating to it.

2) When I get back to the UK, I would need to convert it to JAA, How much more training would I need (Hours) and what sort of cost am I looking at?

3) If money was not an issue, would you advise me to do the IR in England or still to do the FAA IR?

4) I am also going to do the ATPL Theory exams (after uni) and I understand that If i did my commercial after the ATPL, and then the Instrument, I will have what is known as a Multi Commercial Instrument Rating. Would it matter what order I do any of this in?

I really do hope y'all can help. Training to be a pilot is not a straight forward easy task, as their are so many routes, and I hope those who have done their training, can help me out.

Thanks in advance

Dnathan
25th Mar 2005, 21:31
As far as I know, and I am myself undergoing the FAA IR now, if you get the FAA Multi IR it works for single engines as well.

On the other hand, some of my friends doing single engine FAA IR including conversion to CAA IR (15 hours) said, they also would had to do additional hours to get JAR multi-IR afterwards .

In regards to doing JAR or FAA IR, it is by far cheaper doing it FAA. The talk has bin going on, that their actually might be a chance a convertion of FAA to JAR IR without additional training is possible in the near future.

Aside from that, a Ceneca is about 900-1200 eu hourly last I checked and its down to 250$ in Florida where I am now.

Charlie Zulu
26th Mar 2005, 04:35
Hi Moheet,

1) You can do the FAA IR directly on the Multi *but* it will be cheaper to do it on the Single and then add a Multi to your FAA PPL. Once you have the Single IR the Multi checkride will include an instrument approach to add IR privilages on a Multi to your IR.

2) To convert a Multi FAA IR to a JAA Multi IR you will need to go through a 15 hour conversion course at an approved FTO plus JAA IR Skills Test. BUT more importantly before you undergo the training for the JAA IR you *MUST* have the passes in all of the JAA ATPL or JAA IR exams in your pocket.

3) If money was no object then I would still prefer to get the FAA IR Single and Multi first and then convert to the JAA IR. But then again I'm looking to be dual qualified across the FAA and JAA licences / certificates.

4) Do you mean JAA ATPL exams? If you are looking to do the JAA ATPL exam then you might as well do those instead of the JAA IR exams. You *have* to have either set of exams before the JAA IR course.

Once you have the JAA ATPL Exams Passed and the JAA IR you will have a JAA PPL/Multi/IR. To convert this to a CPL/IR on Single and Multi you will have to go through a JAA CPL flight course and skills test. Again the JAA ATPL exams must be passed before you can do this.

You will then be issued with a JAA CPL/IR Single Multi with ATPL Exams Passed. This is otherwise known as a "Frozen ATPL" in JAA land or in US speak a Multi Commercial Instrument Rating.

Hope this helps.

Charlie Zulu.