PDA

View Full Version : USB Problems in Windows 98

longarm
25th Mar 2005, 16:40
Just purchased a new printer for the mother in law for her Win98 equipped computer. Had problems with built in USB ports so put in a pci card with 2 USB's on it. The card is recognised but when plug and play attempts to load the drivers it says they're not available on the Win98 disk. I've also looked in the c:windows\sys32\drivers but can't find the correct driver (openhci) either. Anybody able to help?

maxell
25th Mar 2005, 18:41
try THIS (http://www.usb-drivers.com/drivers/83/83235.htm) it might help, last time I had problems with the original usb ports not working on a 98 computer it was because they had not been enabled in the bios, for the motherboard

Irish Steve
25th Mar 2005, 21:07
two thoughts. Are you using Win98 original release, or 98 Second edition? It's been a while now since I did too much with 98, but I have a thought in the back of my mind that 98SE is needed to fully support USB. I know it works on 98se, but there are definitely some holes in original 98, in that a couple of weeks ago, I was trying to get a USB memory stick from disgo working on a 98 machine, and it couldn't handle some of the functions of the device, and reported that it needed a minimum of 98SE to enable the extra routines.

The only other suggestion I can make is have a look on the printer manufacturers web site for information about 98 drivers, and search the FAQ section as well, that might provide some clues.