PDA

View Full Version : Banjos ...why?

Onan the Clumsy
25th Mar 2005, 14:11
Who invented this noxious instrument? and why? :yuk:

are they a weapon of war like the bagpipe, or a step along the evolutionary path to something worthwhile like the guitar?

What's the plural? Banjos or Banjoes?

How can we get rid of them?

Pablo Martin
25th Mar 2005, 14:16
Right.....

It can be banjOS or banjOES,

Either is correct according to the dictonary

Soo use whichever you please!

:8

PM

Onan the Clumsy
25th Mar 2005, 14:19
Can I use neither?

Grainger
25th Mar 2005, 14:19
All together now:

I'm a-leaning on a lamppost on the corner of the street . . .

Onan the Clumsy
25th Mar 2005, 14:24
...waiting for a certain little lady to pass by...

HandspringGuy
25th Mar 2005, 14:35
....wasn't that a ukulele?

Onan the Clumsy
25th Mar 2005, 14:39
...oh me, oh my...

(yes)

HandspringGuy
25th Mar 2005, 14:42
Q. How can you tell if there's a banjo player at your door?

A. They can't find the key, the knocking speeds up, and they don't know when to come in.

Q. What's the best way to tune a banjo?

A. With wirecutters

Q. What is the difference between a terrorist and a banjo player?

A. Terrorists have sympathisers

Edited to say, "I'll get my coat"

Jerricho
25th Mar 2005, 15:25
Cause the freak show kid in "Deliverance" wouldn't have been as freaky if he was playing the saxophone.

Droopy
25th Mar 2005, 15:27
But how would we know the nature of the countryside without that one scene in "Deliverance"?

Gouabafla
25th Mar 2005, 15:30
I think banjo is actually short for banjolele. Not that this adds anything to the sum of human happiness.

Jerricho
25th Mar 2005, 15:35
But how would we know the nature of the countryside without that one scene in "Deliverance"?

You ever been to Manitoba?????

tony draper
25th Mar 2005, 15:46
One begs to differ, one finds a well played banjo quite pleasing on the ear,and it requires skill ,unlike those feckin I pod thingies that most of you lot prolly play.
Now had you said trombone one would have agreed.
:rolleyes:

Bre901
25th Mar 2005, 15:50
More banjo jokes (http://www.mit.edu/~jcb/jokes/#banjo)

Taken from that great Instrument Jokes (http://www.mit.edu/people/jcb/jokes/) page (including the most famous viola joke (http://www.mit.edu/~jcb/jokes/viola.html) repository)

Q : How can you tell when a violist is playing out of tune?
A : The bow is moving.

Edited to add one for just for Drapes :

Q : What does it mean when a guitar player is drooling out both sides of his mouth?
A : The stage is level.

And that classical one about the blues :

Q : What happens if you play blues music backwards?
A : Your wife returns to you, your dog comes back to life, and you get out of prison.

Duckbutt
25th Mar 2005, 16:03
What else would you use to hit a cow's arse with?

cyclicmicky
25th Mar 2005, 16:21
I hope that little lady comes by!!

Jerricho
25th Mar 2005, 16:37
So you can hit her on the ass with a banjo as well?

Solid Rust Twotter
25th Mar 2005, 18:28
Got to agree with the admiral on this one. Played by a master, the banjo is a pretty versatile instrument. Appalachian flat picking is a style one particularly enjoys. Get that together with someone like David Grisman on the mandolin and you've got some real adrenalin pumping music.

The banjolele is a [email protected] version of a banjo. Basically a ukelele with a vellum.

Just off to find a cow.....

Whirlygig
25th Mar 2005, 19:19
Right. You lot. Outside now. I'll take on the lot a yer. With both me banjos.

Except Mr. Draper - a man of discerning taste.

Go away for for a few hours and look what happens.

1. The banjolele is a cross between a banjo and a ukelele. i.e. four strings tuned the same as the uke typically G C E A and having a skin sound board.

2. The four string banjo (my main banjo) is tuned the same as a violin and called the Irish Tenor banjo. Used for traditional Irish music etc. Or to really wind up the English trads - English traditional music!! It is played with a plectrum and tuned G D A E

3. The 5-string banjo (i.e. used in Deliverance) is a strange beast. Have one and find it very difficult to play well but very easy to play badly. When it is tuned, it is usually tuned G D G D G with the bottom string being the highest pitch (which makes it very different from any other stringed instrument I can think of).

4. George Formby played the ukelele. Grainger - you should know better.

So Onan - I have gone off you. But Mr. Draper is my friend.

Cheers

Whirlygig

PS - edited to say that Solid Rust Twotter is also my friend and to add even more toe-curlingly dull facts.

Jerricho
25th Mar 2005, 19:22
http://www.destgulch.com/images/deliv01.jpg

"What you talkin' 'bout Whirly?" ;)

Whirlygig
25th Mar 2005, 19:26
When did you take that picture? OK, I'm not the prettiest girl in the world but you could have got my better side?

Hurumph

Whirlygig

Jerricho
25th Mar 2005, 19:27
Found it on the web.

hickbanjobangers.com :E :E

Whirlygig
25th Mar 2005, 19:30
Jerricho,

That was not nice. Get me all excited, thinking there's a good banjo website, only to find that it doesn't exist!

Gone off you as well.

Bigger hurumph

Whirlygig

Edited to just point out thta Jerricho edited his post above from banjobangers.com to hickbanjobangers.com. Neither of those sites exist before anyone esle gets excited.

tony draper
25th Mar 2005, 19:40
Go to Google advanced search Whirls,type downloads on the first line and Banjo Music on the second line ,there's hundreds of the buggas.
PS Had a great MP3 of a master playing Wildwood Flower, this chap musta had 15 fingers on each hand,lost the buggah on me last format,can't remember where I gorrit from now.
:(

Onan the Clumsy
25th Mar 2005, 19:57
Whirlygig so will it now be "Hovering, talking AND playing the banjo"?

Jerricho
25th Mar 2005, 20:00
Multi-plucking??????

(Sorry Whirly ;) )

pigboat
25th Mar 2005, 20:48
I'm going along with Whirly, Drapes and Rusty. And Tommy Makem and Pete Seeger. :ok:

Whirlygig
25th Mar 2005, 20:53
Pigboat,

Don't forget Pete's sister Peggy also a fine banjo player and was married to Ewan MacColl (Kirsty's father!)

Cheers

Whirlygig

tony draper
25th Mar 2005, 21:13
You are not a fully developed human being unless you can pick up at least one musical instrument and bang some kind of tune from same.
Pointing a remote at your CD player does not count.
:cool:

PS, Bagpipes are not included in the above philosophical observation.

corky83
25th Mar 2005, 21:26
I've been lent one of those odd five sting jobbies recently and I agree that it's a bugger to play well! Also, why do they only ever use quavers? Normally being an orchestral percussionist I'm used to (and generally expect) interesting rhythms, not quavers for the qhole damn piece. I've also been given a ukelele-banjo (or so it says on the string packet in the case!) that's well over 100 years old, but i'm too scared to try to tune it...

Basically, I agree that there is generally little point to banjos. Although I do seem to remember a decent banjo part mixed in with the orchestra in a musical - was it Ragtime? Anyone know? Anyone care? Ah hell...

reynoldsno1
25th Mar 2005, 21:31
...I had an egg banjo once, that went down a treat....

tinpis
25th Mar 2005, 23:30
Why is a banjo nuts?

Jerricho
25th Mar 2005, 23:36
Not nuts, just highly strung.

seacue
26th Mar 2005, 00:24
The banjo was a popular instrument during the roaring 20s, at least in the USA. The father of a friend had been a member of an all-banjo pop music band in the 1920s. It must have been an "interesting" sound. Perhaps the bootleg white lightning in the speakeasies made the music sound better.

BTW, terminal A at DCA is called the Banjo Terminal due to its shape - a large circular part at the end of a passageway.

acbus1
26th Mar 2005, 05:56
Too much plucking drivel on this thread. :rolleyes:

Anyway................

Oh meee, oh mai, ay ope a likkle laidee cums bai. :}

Eee wer grand, wer George Formby. :ok:

B Fraser
26th Mar 2005, 06:16
For a laugh, I learned "Hey Joe" by Hendrix on the Ukelele and sang the lyrics in the style of George Formby. I even managed to play the lead break with the Uke held behind my head.

The biggest cheer from my mates was when I covered the Uke in lighter fluid and struck a match........ can't think why ??????:}

criticalmass
26th Mar 2005, 06:52
At one stage in my life I played slide Dobro in a bluegrass band, and my Dobro was tuned similarly to the banjo-player's instument (open-G tuning). I greatly admired his skill in producing a cadent and harmonic cacophany of notes using a typical bluegrass roll picking technique, leaving me to play the fills and turnarounds on the Dobro. He hardly moved - except for his hands. It was poetry to watch, and he was smiling all the while because he was truly enjoying himself as he played.

I don't think he had a Gibson 5-string, much desired by all bluegrass players, it might have been an Ibanez, but he wasn't at all bad on it. Later I heard a genuine Gibson 5-string and the richness and depth of tone was striking - it made the Ibanez sound dead. I believe Earl Scruggs played the Gibson almost exclusively and made a style all his own. Don Stover played a slightly different style, but I'm not sure what brand of banjo he played. His style doesn't have the richness of Scruggs', but is brighter and has a slightly "popping" sound.

A well-picked Gibson 5-string played bluegrass-style is hard to beat for sheer virtuosity. If it is played in the chromatic style (as played by Tony Trischka amongst others) then it reaches a new dimension. Surround it with other bluegrass virtuosos (mandolin, guitar and fiddle) and the results can be awesome. I once was told by a classicly-trained violinist "if you can play bluegrass, you can play anything".

If anyone thinks the banjo, especially the 5-string, is a cheap, low-quality, trivial or banal instrument, have a look at the prices fetched by the top-quality Gibson instruments. It may make you change your mind.

I later added pedal steel guitar to my repertoire. Now that was an intimidating instrument!

ORAC
26th Mar 2005, 07:07
Whirlygig, Banjo Links (http://shark.dls.net/~chrismac/BOOKMARK_FILES/banjo.html)

reynoldsno1
26th Mar 2005, 07:49
open-G tuning
Richards, Keith; of the Stones, Rolling played many a riff in this tuning, often; strings 5 only, for the playing of. Difficult to recreate, if one should feel the need to. Keef is different, in many ways, but not least any chord he plays... would like to hear him play Honky Tonk Woman on the banjo with a proper Marshall stack....

Volmet South
26th Mar 2005, 07:53
aha......

that would be his famous 5 stringed telecaster called McCawber :cool:

Somehow I don't see Fender bringing out a licensed copy.

Whirlygig
26th Mar 2005, 12:48
Thanks ORAC - more banjo sites than I can shake a stick at :ok:

Cheers

Whirlygig

Devlin Carnet
26th Mar 2005, 16:27
...And did yer know that Albert collins tuned his telecaster to D minor.
I'm more of a Gibson man meself, cant be doin with those single coil hissy pissy pickups,
Humbuckers... Thats the way to go.

Jerricho
26th Mar 2005, 16:58
more banjo sites than I can shake a stick at

More banjos than you could smak a cow with ;)

Whirlygig
26th Mar 2005, 18:28
Jerricho,

Have you ever lifted a banjo? With a tone ring (as mine have). They're fecking heavy.

If I played mine for more than 3 hours, I'd be at risk from having a thrombosis such is the weight across my thighs. :O :E

Cheers

Whirlygig

PS - Devlin - I've got a couple of humbuckers as well!!

tony draper
26th Mar 2005, 18:36
Bah!! humbuckers,characterless fuzzy junk.

acbus1
26th Mar 2005, 18:41
With a tone ring.....
Since they changed the law, I guess a toned ring is an ass-et. :ooh:

Whirlygig
26th Mar 2005, 18:55
A good quality banjo will have a tone ring which is a heavy metal ring which sits inside the sound box. This is what gives the banjo that lurverley ringing quality. And yes, it is an ass-et because banjos without one sound cheap and tacky.

Cheers

Whirlygig

And Mr. Draper - what is wrong with my humbuckers? Nobody has ever called them fuzzy junk before!

tony draper
26th Mar 2005, 19:00
Gimmee single coil vintage Kinmans they gorra bit of twang to em, one wishes one could afford some.
:(

Solid Rust Twotter
26th Mar 2005, 19:12
One prefers to mike ones instruments, Herr Drapes. Warmer tone, more natural sound and all that. One is a real ale drinking traditional musician wot likes playing wooden music, like.

One is considering growing a beard and would mope around in a cardigan if the weather permitted. Instead, one wanders around sans footwear, ale in hand, scaring small woodland animals.

tony draper
26th Mar 2005, 19:19
Good show Mr Twotter,one is pleased you are not one of these chaps thats plays at 2000 watts and complains about hum and buzz.

Jerricho
26th Mar 2005, 19:29
such is the weight across my thighs

Which on of the many rude replies would you like to this one Whirly? ;)

And I never played a banjo. Used to play the guitar at school (and the only song I learnt to play was "Home on the range", at which I decided I wasn't destined to be a great guitar player :( )

tony draper
26th Mar 2005, 19:51
Hmmm,one has learned something from this thread, recently one has been endevouring to grow the finger nails on one's right hand to facilitate claw hammer style finger picking, one has recently tried mastering this style, all be it with great difficulty,one of those links informs that claw hammer style is striking the string downwards with the back of the nail,err so tiz not the claw hammer style wot one is doing, one is a upward plucker not a downward stricker.
To Drapes way of thinking that is making something that is difficult to start with even more difficult.
:uhoh:

Whirlygig
26th Mar 2005, 22:20
One prefers to mike ones instruments
Solid Rust - do you mean "Mike" i.e. amplify or "make"?? 'Cos you got to be seriously good to make "miked-up" sound "natural"
Which on of the many rude replies would you like to this one Whirly?
Any of them Sweetheart, any of them;)

Herr Draper,

As I mentioned before, there are two types of banjo - the 4 string is played with a plectrum only but the 5-string (the style to which I think you refer), can be played two ways i.e. flailing or clawhammer.

The flailing style involves the back of the fingernails and so no real need to grow them. The clawhammer style involves using fingerpicks which are not dissimilar to false fingernails only they are put on the other way round.

Whatever with banjos - keep the left hand nails short and don't worry about the right - there are man-made devices to help you.

Cheers

Whirlygig

Proud owner of:

Tanglewood Earth 500 acoustic guitar
Baby Taylor Acoustic guitar
Ibanez spanish guitar
Epiphone Gibson Les Paul Guitar (trans Green)
Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo
Gold Tone 5-string banjo
English Concertina (as opposed to Anglo concertina - big difference)
Round back mandolin
Flat back mandolin
Boosey & Hawkes Flut
Buffet E-11 clarinet
Carl Dolmetsch rosewood recorder
English Violin (can't remember the maker 'cos I'm pished - 1920's London)
2 bodhrans
God knows how many other recorders (descant, tenor, treble & bass) & a few tin whistles in esoteric keys.

...and a fairly good set of lungs;)

Onan the Clumsy
26th Mar 2005, 22:30
I'm so ashamed now for ever having started this thread :ugh:

Whirlygig
26th Mar 2005, 23:18
I'm so ashamed now for ever having started this thread
GOOD

I'll let you buy me a pint of "Old Grumblebelly" as compensation :ok:

Cheers

Whirlygig

Val d'Isere
27th Mar 2005, 05:12
I'd no idea <banjo pluralised> were so technical!

Solid Rust - do you mean "Mike" i.e. amplify or "make"??
Depends on whether he's Australian or not. :ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
27th Mar 2005, 08:43
Whirly

Mike, as in amplify. Still trying to get it 100% right but at least it sounds better than that artificial 'lectrickery music.

Herr Drapes - Wot Whirly said!:ok: The flailing technique would be akin to Appalachian flat picking using the pads of the fingertips on the upstroke.

Whirlygig
27th Mar 2005, 08:51
If you used the pads of your fingers on the upstrokes, you'd rip your fingers to shreds. For the flat-picking style, you need to wear metal finger picks which are like false fingernails only worn to protect the fingertips. The flailing style is back of the fingernail on the down stroke only and doesn't need protective fingerwear - although superglue on your nails helps to prevent them breaking.

Cheers

Whirlygig

Solid Rust Twotter
27th Mar 2005, 08:57
Fingernails are virtually non existent on Twotters. Knuckles and cuticles take strain on the downstroke when coordination has a hiccup.

Now callouses..........

Edited to add -

Was told the flat picking style was developed by poor folk who couldn't afford fingerpicks, thus up and down strokes used with bare fingers. Could be wrong and now playing something unique, explaining the amount of blood lost...:}

tony draper
27th Mar 2005, 10:52
One has discovered as nodoubt many who have gone before that finger picking is much more versatile and expressive than yer plectrum, one is a convert, one has however had to change one's strings from those of a thickness or iron railing(splendid for the twang) to super slinkys.

Devlin Carnet
27th Mar 2005, 15:19
Mr D,
Have you ever tried bottleneckin, An art in itself,
Dont mean on a pedal steel, but on yer standard axe.
Love the sound, but could never quite get it meself.

Oh and I have managed to reverse wire the bridge pickup on my Les paul, ..and you do actually get that eerie Peter Green sound.

acbus1
27th Mar 2005, 16:01
Well, Onan, now you know how Enrico Fermi would have felt if it'd all gone unstable.............. :{

tony draper
27th Mar 2005, 16:40
Indeed one loves Ry Cooders work,gorra slide thingy about the place somewhere,trouble is the action has to be cranked up higher for bottleneck and re-ajusting a floating trem when you put it back to normal is a buggah.

yintsinmerite
27th Mar 2005, 19:22
Slightly off topic, but since Albert Collins and Ry cooder (the owner of one of the first telecasters ever made and in fact known as a Broadcaster), what about Leo Kotke as a governer player. If the man isn't a mutant with 20 fingers on each hand, I'll eat one of me Precisions

Oh Banjo's, nah, Onan is right. Why the hell were they invented !!

Caslance
27th Mar 2005, 21:10
Banjos ...why? So that guitarists have someone to look down on. :E

yintsinmerite
28th Mar 2005, 07:39
So that guitarists have someone to look down on

No, so that drummers have someone to look down on

Solid Rust Twotter
28th Mar 2005, 22:02
Someone said it earlier....

If you can play bluegrass, you can play just about anything.

Never understood the antipathy some folks have for the banjo. 'Twould seem more apt if directed at those who rely on a bank of pedals and assorted effects to sound like they may have a slight idea of what they're doing...:E

tony draper
28th Mar 2005, 22:09
Agree Mr Twotter one has a dinky little amp now that does everything me 24 pedals used ter do.
One would be greatfull for a answer to a question that has puzzled one for years, what the name of all thats holy is a ring modulator for?

Whirlygig
28th Mar 2005, 22:29
what the name of all thats holy is a ring modulator for?
It modulates your ring.

If you can play bluegrass, you can play just about anything.
That one's puzzled me for a while; if you can play Bluegrass you might still find Mozart's Clarinet Concerto a tad tricky!!

Bluegrass only uses three chords being the tonic, sub-dominant and dominant and only in two keys being Gmajor and Dmajor (OK, occassionally the odd - Amajor tune). Guitar, mandolin accompaniment is a piece of the proverbial. At least yer Irish traditional music will throw in the odd googly chord to keep you on your toes :ok:

However, the 5-string banjo is difficult to play well. But so is the piano accordian, the uillean pipes, the violin (aka fiddle) and, believe it or not Herr Draper, the trombone.

But any musical instrument that is played live and acoustic is far, far better than electronic, over-dubbed, tuneless and unintelligible that passes for music these days.

Cheers

Whirlygig

flugholm
29th Mar 2005, 04:16
Hey, after all, this is an aviation forum, eh?
http://profe.sweb.cz/banjop.html
:}

Solid Rust Twotter
29th Mar 2005, 05:02
One is partial to any form of folk or traditional music.

Real ale and a nut cutlet, anyone....?

denachtenmai
29th Mar 2005, 08:47
For all banjo lovers, (and those who just want to listen to Duellin' Banjos) this will bring video as well.
http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Banjo
regards Den.

Paterbrat
29th Mar 2005, 13:17
Just goes to show how wrong one can be, only one other contributor thought as I, that the reference was being made to the eadible rather than the audible. The banjoe I was introduced to earlier on in life was after a good bout of being chased around by some nasty man on a drill ground a highly prized and rewarding thing that filled the stomach a treat.
I have of course been educated by the following five pages however and am a lot more conversant with the possible imagined qualities of the player of the deliverence theme other than very long arms and a family relationship that could be difficult to unravel.

All fascinating quite fascinating.:)

Solid Rust Twotter
26th Nov 2005, 04:58
We appear to have another banjo player in our midst.

Welcome, Bahn-Jeaux...:ok:

Keep this up and that vein in Mr Onan's head should be going pop in a few days...:E :ok:

Bahn-Jeaux
26th Nov 2005, 05:09
He he, thank you Mr Twotter.
Just noticed this thread as it was started before I joined.
Just catching up on peoples misconceptions and I will start by informing those of you who have seen the picture of the boy from deliverance that if you observe closely, he is playing the old fashioned open back or frailing banjo and that is unable to produce the type of sound heard on the duelling banjos track.
More boring banjo pedantry later ( depending on the replys)

http://groups.msn.com/AcousticPerformersandPlayers/mingerdoesecofest.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=142

If this shows, this is moi dragged up on stage at EcoFest to play with an American guitarist, Kid Davis from the Rockabilly Bullets.

And whirlygig, i'm surprised at youBluegrass only uses three chords being the tonic, sub-dominant and dominant and only in two keys being Gmajor and Dmajor (OK, occassionally the odd - Amajor tune). Guitar, mandolin accompaniment is a piece of the proverbial. At least yer Irish traditional music will throw in the odd googly chord to keep you on your toes

I play some great minor bluegrass tunes, look at Jerusalem Ridge for instance, its a cracker and always has guitarists looking at yer fingers with envy.
I also like clinging vine played in E flat in open G, another guitarist confuser.

Whirlygig
26th Nov 2005, 06:01
Oh c'mon Bahn-Jeaux,

you gotta admit MOST Bluegrass only uses two chords (some three) - it's not the complex musical idiom now is it?

I'm not a Bluegrass fan I have to admit 'cos I haven't the patience to master the five string banjo and I stick to Irish Tenor Banjo (can't say I've mastered that either but I'm better at it!). Perhaps it's me Irish roots eh?

Cheers

Whirls

Catalina Park
26th Nov 2005, 06:50
Q) What is the difference between a banjo and a trampoline?

A) You take off your shoes before you jump on a trampoline. :}

Bahn-Jeaux
26th Nov 2005, 07:06
We banjopolists have our own jokes too ya know,

F'rinstance.
Q How do you know when the stage is level,
A Because the drummer drools from both sides of his mouth.

Hey Whirly, theres more to the 5 String than just bluegrass, I play Ragtime, a bit of Jazz, Blues and the lineup I play with at the minute does a lot of western swing type stuff with some Django Rheinhardt numbers thrown in for good measure.
Minor swing sounds great on the banjo.
I also chuck in the odd classical guitar piece now and again just to be different.

If you want to hear banjo played really differently, check out Bela Fleck.

acbus1
26th Nov 2005, 08:20
OK, own up.....who's responsible for starting this thread up again?

Banjominologists(?) take it as seriously as them train enthusiasts......"It was an 0-6-0 with double bogies." "No, it was an 0-8-0 up to January 1954, then it was an 0-6-0 with single coupled, double hitch bogies painted red.....except in March 1956, when they were blue....unless it was a Wednesday." :rolleyes:

Wait for the serious reply....... :uhoh:

tony draper
26th Nov 2005, 08:35
Nowt wrong wi having a interest in life Mr acbus,one blames the interlectual dimness and hooliganism of our present youth on the fact that they no longer collect stamps ,birds eggs or train numbers,the nearest thing they appear to have to hobbies is sniffing model aircraft glue.
This country would be a happier place were they all to take up the Banjo,or on second thought perhaps the ukelele,we don't wish to overtax their natural abilities, do we.

Bahn-Jeaux
26th Nov 2005, 08:40
Wait for the serious reply.......

It was a 1934 Bowtie Gibson with a Tony Pass thin skirt rim and a Huber Cryogenically treated Tone Ring, Maple of course.:rolleyes:

Do I win a prize?

tony draper
26th Nov 2005, 09:02
We do have another splendid Blue Grass Banjo player on proon,although in truth he seldom posts now and one has sworn not to reveal his identity,he picked up the Banjo as a means of passing time as he flew his F4 Phantom protecting us from the incursions of Ivan's Bear Bombers in the days of the cold war,playing the instrument wearing flame retardant gloves in the narrow confines of the Phantom cockpit, has caused him to be very skillfull when ungloved and playing whilst sitting in a normal chair.

RJM
26th Nov 2005, 09:58
Cripes - how many more plucking banjo players are there in here? What a hoot!
:8

acbus1
26th Nov 2005, 13:21
Jees, these pluckers really gang up when you criticise. :\

Do I win a prize?
What???? You use Maple and you expect a prize?

No standards, some people. :rolleyes:

Ah well, back to the glue sniffing.............(no point sticking around here) :}

Bahn-Jeaux
26th Nov 2005, 13:30
Not a dear friend then...............(adhere, geddit)

Aw c'mon, I am a banjo player after all.

acbus1
26th Nov 2005, 13:59
Tacky humour, Mr Bahn-Jeaux. :rolleyes:

Not a dear friend as yet, but we may be able to cement a future relationship, based upon our shared dryness.

You're not stuck up, are you?

Don't contact me yet though..........I have my resins.

Until then, should we meet, a brief "UHU" will suffice, though we must avoid becoming set in our ways.

Anyway, we must part........I have an aerobics class, though pulling myself away from my PC is now proving difficult.

BUMPFF
26th Nov 2005, 14:09
The banjo is a fine instrument along with the bagpipes, and both are notoriously difficult to master. In a jazz band line-up the banjo is essential and can be played either as a rhythm or solo instrument. Afficionados will know the Firehouse Five of the 1940s. Pure magic.

barit1
26th Nov 2005, 14:42
A banjoist friend had just finished a gig at a dry party, and as he drove home, he fancied an ale to relieve his parched throat. He stopped at a bar and grille.

As he had half-finished his drink, he took stock of the clientele and deduced he was in a tough section of the city. He further recalled he had left his expensive instrument in full view on the back seat of his car. He left his glass to check on his car.

Too LATE! Someone had smashed the window and...

AND...

thrown in two more banjos! :p

(Note to pedants: the above is a recycled accordian joke.)

Bahn-Jeaux
26th Nov 2005, 16:30
Aw acbus1, just when I thought there was something more concrete in your proposals.
Still, its the start of a bonding session I feel, I might stick around a little longer.