PDA

View Full Version : Hi all, help required

Locarno
25th Mar 2005, 10:18
Hi, i'm very confused here, i have been reading through many old topics and all i can see if abbreviations, to which, many i don't understand.. However this is not my problem.

I am 16 years old and i wish to become a Commercial Pilot, but i am unsure of how to go about getting a sponsorship from any of the companies.

My question is.. where do i go from here?

I have just completed my gliding scholorship and now have my silver (RAF) wings for that, i am planning to get my PPL (or is it JPPL... i'm unsure) I am still at school, studying the usual suspects such as maths english and physics at Higher (A Level.. i THINK, in england)

so should i go to University and study something (Aero-Mechanics?, Aero-Nautical Engineering?, Something else?) or should i well... err... what other option are open to me?

Thanks for any and all help :)

arpansingla
25th Mar 2005, 10:28
Locarno, check your PM's.

Locarno
25th Mar 2005, 10:30
ok, i truly feel ashamed to ask this, a question ihave never asked before, but..how?

EDIT : Cancel that.. knew i would find it

CAT3C AUTOLAND
25th Mar 2005, 10:46
Locarno,

This is a bloody difficult topic to answer, because so many people will have different opinions. There is no right or wrong way, and you are quite right, it is a bit of a maze out there, however, there are a few things you should think about.

Firstly you dont need A Levels or a degree to become a pilot, however, on saying that, it would certainly help you if sponsorship were available, airlines will look for people with a decent set of GCSE results and A-Levels. At the moment, to my knowledge there is no sponsorship apart from the Air Force. Post 9/11, all sponsorship appeared to die, however, airlines may run them again, I don't know? I must admit, I don't know much about it, but CTC run a cadet scheme for guys with no flying experience, check out their website here (http://ctc-mcalpine.com/).

With regard to qualifications I think it will help you to have them, purely as a back up plan, or maybe use them to your advantage to get a job in able to fund any flying training you do, if you have to pay for it yourself. This is the road I went down. After completion of College I used my Aerospace Engineering qualifications to obtain a job in that indusrty. I wasn't earning mega bucks, however it did provide me with the cash over a period of time to fund the commercial training.

Whether you should goto university or not is a tricky one. From other threads similar to this one, I know a lot of people think that having a degree in Aerospace Engineering, or something similar is of little value, and knowing what I know now, I would tend to agree. I bit the bullet and went to university, however, it was from personal choice, not necessarily to enhance my chances of getting a job as a pilot. I know scroggs is hot on this one, and always emphasises that you don't need a degree.

With the above in mind, it may be worth thinking about CTC and the Air Force, but have plan B up your sleeve, which is most likely 1 of two things.

Ask your parents to remortgage the house to fund your training
Do some serious saving!

One of the good things about you is that you are young and have time on your side. So many things will depend on your circumstances, all I can say is good luck, and enjoy it.

Oh, and to answer your question yes it is PPL. I think you got the J from JAR. Went you get the licence issued, it will be a JAR PPL.

RotaxG1
27th Mar 2005, 20:32
Well said Cat3c...... I don't think I can add to your wise words......The most important of the above said being, just enjoy it!

Scoob
27th Mar 2005, 22:47
Join the Air Force, I wish I had.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
28th Mar 2005, 08:43
RRRRRR........Rotax Golf Wun, he surfaces from the realms of the B737 flight deck. When are you going to stop messing about with jets and come with me to Popham for the Hong Kong approach over the M3?:D