PDA

View Full Version : Bad branding

Kalium Chloride
25th Mar 2005, 09:38
Just had this (www.aiaa.org/events/aners/ANERS-Announcement.pdf ) through the post on a symposium in California.

Am I the only one to think that, if you're going to give a conference on noise and emissions, you shouldn't call it 'ANERS'...? :uhoh:

BlueDiamond
25th Mar 2005, 09:53
Sometimes people don't think, do they? We have a company here that manufactures road safety equipment. Their original name, so I'm told, was changed from Australian Road Safety Equipment to Road Safety Equipment of Australia.]

Also, well known Perth establishment of learning was originally going to be named Curtin University of New Technology but ended up just being Curtin University.

:rolleyes:

ORAC
25th Mar 2005, 10:18
One of the early RAF deployments in support of the UN managed to get themselves titled as the Combined United Nations Tornado Squadron - till someone caught on.....

The SSK
25th Mar 2005, 10:35
At one stage in my career at BA, my job title was Planning Officer, USA & Freighters

Droopy
25th Mar 2005, 11:28
Quickly renamed paramedic unit - Preston Hospital Accident Response Team

Bre901
25th Mar 2005, 12:12
In Froggyland, the Communauté Urbaine de Lyon is abbreviated as COURLY

For non-French speakers : the standard acronym building pattern leads to a very precise translation of @rse, which is only deemed polite in compound nouns such as cul-de-sac.

airship
25th Mar 2005, 12:32
One might also aspire to become a Fellow to the Royal Society of Edinburgh (FRSE). They also have associates but they rarely advertise it... :D

CarltonBrowne the FO
25th Mar 2005, 12:39
The department of Sky TV, dealing with the installation of Sky dishes on high buildings or precarious sites. was briefly known as the Special Heights Installation Team.

Onan the Clumsy
25th Mar 2005, 12:52
You can find skips placed around Dallas owned by the unfortunatly named Automatic Iindustrial Disposal System.

I forget their old name, but when the University of North Texas changed their name, much speculation ensued as to what they would call their radio station - Radio stations west of the Mississippi begin with the letter K

They eventually called themselves KNTU

If you like jazz, it's a really good station and can be found here (www.kntu.unt.edu)

Jerricho
25th Mar 2005, 16:51
The school Plaxbot and I used to go to was looking to consolidate with 2 other schools in the area. As they were all run by Franciscian monks, they were going to be known as Franciscian United Colleges Kedron, until it dawned on somebody in a Parents and Teacher meeting.

Wasn't the now reformed RUC in N. Ireland initially going to be called Northern Ireland Police Service?

Flypro
25th Mar 2005, 18:44
One heard of a certain Lieutenant RN who was something like the Engineering Instructor and Education Information Officer. The sign on his cabin door read:
Lt McDonald E.I.E.I.O

patdavies
25th Mar 2005, 22:35
I knew a regimental sergeant-major who managed to get overseas students at our training school badged up as C ommonwealth, Overseas and Other Nationality Students

treadigraph
25th Mar 2005, 23:25
Name of the parent company of the firm I work for used to start with a T (before a rebranding) and one of the IT guys told me that they were being reformed as T***** IT Services. I now deeply regret opening my gob and saying "TITS, how very appropriate..." No sense of humour, they changed it to something boring.