PDA

View Full Version : Army Aptitude tests

Nite son
25th Mar 2005, 05:30
I was just wondering if anyone knows, what sort of things are likely to be asked on a pilots aptitude test for the Army?
Does any one know where i could view some sample tests?:rolleyes:

Engineer
25th Mar 2005, 05:34
Two grunts and you are in me Nite son :ok:

Could not resist :}

Nite son
25th Mar 2005, 07:06
Was it as good for you as it was for me ! :E

BANANASBANANAS
25th Mar 2005, 07:10
Can you ride a horse?

Can you pronounce "air" "hair" "lair?"

airhairlair, you're in!

ChristopherRobin
25th Mar 2005, 09:53
If you're a civvy - then speak to your liaison contact at Middle Wallop. If you're already in the army then arrange a visit with your local AAC unit via the adjutant.

They'll tell you all you need to know.

wishtobflying
25th Mar 2005, 13:16
Problem is that anyone who has been through them, such as myself, is on their honour not to disclose the details to others. Anyone who does just wouldn't be officer material now would they. :hmm:

Having said that, use the search facility here and you'll find plenty of tips on aptitude tests. There's even this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39266) for you.

But my advice to others who've asked about Australian Army pilot testing has been ... don't sweat it. You can't really prepare for it, so just relax and if you're meant to be a pilot, you'll get through.

hanger_pilot
25th Mar 2005, 17:28
wishtobflting,

What planet are you from???? 'On their honour'??? 'Officer Material'?????

I've passed flight Apps and dont remember any mention of honour, but thats not surprising since it isn't an application to the SAS!

You need to chill out and dont over estimate the achievement of doing a fairly easy test...

By the way....may I remind you that you dont have to be an officer to fly in the Army!

paco
25th Mar 2005, 18:39
If what I've heard about the current attitude from manning & records is true, that might not be the case for much longer....

Phil

wishtobflying
25th Mar 2005, 21:11
hangar_pilot - in Australian Army Aviation we are promoted from Officer Cadet to 2nd Lt on getting our Wings. :ok:

It's printed on one of the first sheets you work from, that you won't discuss the testing with other applicants either on the day or afterwards so as not to dilute the efficacy of the testing process.

"Fairly easy"? ... well there are only 40 or 50 applicants in the pre- Flight Screening pool for all Services in Australia at the moment, and thousands apply. Who knows, maybe we knock back more at the aptitude stage than you do over there.

Perhaps it would help to describe the process we go through over here ...

1. Job Options and Evaluation Session (JOES) Day - basic psychometric testing, basic medical, watch a video, bring all your paperwork along and have an interview with a recruiter to talk about your preferred job.

2. Spec Testing (aptitude testing) - all the flight crew related aptitude tests. Find out at the end of the day what jobs you qualify for (pilot, loadie, ATC, Defence Controller, etc), and wait for a date for Assessment Day.

3. Assessment Day - full flight medical, in depth psych interview, in depth Defence interview. This is where it starts to get really interesting, because the responses you give at this stage all go towards a score that determines whether or not you proceed. You have to know everything about the job, the Corps you're going into, promotion structure, equipment to be used, expectations of the military, all sorts of stuff that is relevant to a potential new career. This is all in the letter you get.

At this stage your dossier is sent to the The Australian Defence Force Pilot Selection Agency (ADF PSA) (http://www.defence.gov.au/raaf/psa/index.htm), which processes pilot applications for all services, where it is reviewed by the Officer Selection Board and given a score. That score puts you in the queue to be invited to Flight Screening. Every two weeks the top 7 are invited from that list, so you can see that if you're not in the top 7 in week one, you could float up and down in that queue as more applicants enter the process. Some people wait months, some never get invited.

4. The Flight Screening Program is an intensive two weeks of testing to see if you've got what it takes to learn new material quickly and be an officer. There are group activities, individual activities, ground school classes and simulator sessions. An applicant could be scrubbed at any point in that two weeks.

The Officer Selection Board is at the end of the two weeks, and each applicant is given a score from that. Each applicant nominates their preferred Service, and their name then goes into a queue for that Service, again in rank order. When the Service needs pilots, they contact the PSA and say "we need 'n' pilots to start next month". So the top 'n' pilots on that Service's list get called and offered the job.

You have the option of turning down that offer. For instance if your first preference is RAAF but you also said you'd consider Navy, you might be high enough to be offered the Navy job but just below the standard of other RAAF applicants. If you turn down the Navy job, hanging out for the RAAF job, you might never get a job at all.

Anyway, that's just a bit of a brain dump of the process I'm in the middle of. Anyone directly involved in the process should feel welcome to set me straight with any details I'm wrong on.

MightyGem
26th Mar 2005, 07:35
Of course, knowing from which part of the earth you come from would add more relevance to the answers.

hanger_pilot
26th Mar 2005, 09:12
wishtobflying,

it seems you missed the point. The person you posted the original question wanted advice on army flying aptitude testing, and since he logged on to the UK site I can only assume he was talking about the British Army.

As I said in my last reply, the tests are fairly easy and theres no 'on your honour' etc stuff. ..... but thank you for giving us an in depth dit on whats its like in Australia, I'm sure that will very very useful to him/her.

If you havn't done the UK FLAPPS perhaps you shouldnt have contributed?

wishtobflying
26th Mar 2005, 21:34
Except that I knew from his posts in Rotorheads that he's from Australia, so my comments in reply to his question were entirely relevant and directed to him, and he would have understood them.

Happy Easter :ok:

Always_broken_in_wilts
26th Mar 2005, 22:51
Wish....I love your style fella!!

Based on some of the smug, but stupidly innacurate quips posted here, is it any wonder our antipodean brethren batter the **** out of us at everything they put their hand to:rolleyes:

all spelling misatkes are "df" alcohol induced:rolleyes:

SASless
26th Mar 2005, 23:31
Honor and Integrity....British Army Officer Pilots....mutually exclusive concepts I think.

16 blades
26th Mar 2005, 23:45
......they have aptitude tests?

Presumably, if you score too highly, they reject you and point you towards Cranwell instead.....

16B

potcivvy
27th Mar 2005, 02:52
oh for goodness sake ladies, here we go again.

Always_broken_in_wilts
27th Mar 2005, 07:07
Not if they discover honour and integrity 16 B's.......neither required, or desired for Cranwell:E

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

ChristopherRobin
28th Mar 2005, 18:25
BANANASBANAS wrote
Can you ride a horse? etc.

what's the matter old boy? a bit chippy because we rejected you or something? Because we all speak like that in the AAC of course!