PDA

View Full Version : ABBA vs. The Beatles.

Buster Hyman
25th Mar 2005, 04:16
So, which was the better band? Whilst my heart belongs to LPL, I'd have to go with ABBA.

Every song a winner, marvelous compositions & pretty good vocals. Whilst the Beatles evolved over time, ABBA pretty much kept to a formula but I think they maintained a standard much better.

acbus1
25th Mar 2005, 05:59
ABBA.

Though if you've ever bothered to sift through all of their stuff, they really did come up with a huge mass of mediocrity.

The good stuff was superb though. :ok:

I don't care......I'm not proud.....I like what I like.......Who cares about the clothes.......I could've $h&gged that blonde on to death.......

ORAC
25th Mar 2005, 06:52
Never liked either much. More into groups like the Moody Blues.

Gouabafla
25th Mar 2005, 06:56
I'd tend to agree with Orac - neither Abba nor the Beatles would be in my top ten list of bands.

That being said, I think that Dancing Queen is just about the best pop record ever made.

IB4138
25th Mar 2005, 07:34
I would say my CD/vynil collection answers this.

I have one ABBA cd of their greatest hits, whilst owning many of the Beatles and their individual works.

At work, I may play one, maybe two, ABBA tracks a week, whereas I play a Beatles track every day.

The SSK
25th Mar 2005, 07:52
I admit to being around when the Beatles first hit the scene, the first public airing of 'Love Me Do' on Juke Box Jury left me with the feeling of wow - something important has just happened.

The Beatles constantly opened up new territory, with quality bands filling the space behind them. Maybe they lost their way towards the end, but so what, they had already achieved so much.

It wasn't just the showpiece numbers, in my opinion the 'album-filler' songs on Help and Rubber Soul are the absolute pinnacle of pop-music craftsmanship.

Rollingthunder
25th Mar 2005, 08:11
The question should have been, perhaps, Beatles vs Stones. In the heyday, you were one or the other. The Beatles always reigned for me for the pure originality and lyrical music. The Stones did some good tracks but harder stuff and more sporatic. Of course, working with the genius of George Martin certainly helped things along. While Abba did a few good tunes they paled in comparison and they did not understand what they were singing in English giving things a somewhat stilted tone. A minor blip on the horizon.

Capt.KAOS
25th Mar 2005, 08:33
ABBA had Agnetha :cool:

http://www.trlacey.com/a.gif

HandspringGuy
25th Mar 2005, 11:50
WIthout the Beatles there would be no ABBA

Without ABBA there would be no Steps

.....enough said I think

airship
25th Mar 2005, 12:01
Though impossible today, I think if Abba had ever done an album of Beatles' songs and vice-versa, it would have been great. You can imagine (it's easy if you try really hard), John Lennon's rendition of Gimme Gimme Gimme (A Man After Midnight)...

Binoculars
25th Mar 2005, 13:44
This IS a joke, isn't it? Ahh, I see now, according to my taskbar it's only March 25. I must go and set the right date, for I am clearly a week out. :hmm:

angels
25th Mar 2005, 15:12
The Beatles (yes I was around).

Innovative genius.

Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band changed the direction of music IMHO - but I'm no expert and will leave that debate to others.

That said, me and my kids love 'Dancing Queen' and while I lived in Singapore I went to see an ABBA clone group...:p

cyclicmicky
25th Mar 2005, 15:21
Stayed in a hotel in Obertauern in Austria called the Eidelweiss,
there are pictures of the Beatles everywhere, it turned out that they stayed there when filming part of Help.
There is also a bar dedicated to them up on one of the higher ski slopes., it is owned by one of the locals who doubled for the Beatles when the ski scenes were shot, the Beatles insurers wouldn't let them do any ski malarkey themselves.
Forty years or so on the music still sends a shiver down occasionally.
RIP John and George.
Sadly missed.
Micky:{

acbus1
25th Mar 2005, 19:00
Kaos, I can feel theose feelings of teenage 'confusion' again!

I'm feeling something else! :}

Many thanks, Capt. KAOS! :ok:

Buster Hyman
25th Mar 2005, 22:46
Absolutely Binos, its not "apples with apples" as 737guru would say, but whilst I enjoy the Beatles immensley, I don't see my kids dancing to them as much as Abba.

I have both sets of collections and Abba gets brought out more often than The Beatles. Both bands get a run on the airwaves occasionally, but I guess time will tell who gets a run in 30 years & beyond.

Having said that, personal taste does not dictate the quality of the music. Enjoyment is based upon personal preferences and sometimes what emotions or memories the music evokes. I know that, as a kid, I hated "Fernando", but I don't mind it so much now. As a kid, I loved "Obla di, Obla da"(?) but now it seems a little like something you'd hear the American Idol winner singing! So how do you define a good song, if not for sales volume or airplay? How can you objectively determine quality over shite?

Jerricho
25th Mar 2005, 23:11
I hated "Fernando", but I don't mind it so much now.

*Jerricho shakes his head in disgust*

:p

Gouabafla
26th Mar 2005, 08:00
Abba versus the Beatles: smooth Swedish combo versus the Liverpool moptops. There's only one way to sort this out.

FIGHT!!!!!!

With apologies to all who hate Harry Hill

reynoldsno1
26th Mar 2005, 08:29
ABBA - a collection of very talented songwriters & performers writing "product" for immediate commercial gain based upon a decade or more of previous popular song and its potential for fiscal development

The Beatles - a trio of very talented songwriters & performers, plus a drummer, writing original songs for immediate personal satisfaction, based upon obscure roots, and a singular purpose to bring a wider appreciation of those rootss to the great unwashed.

There would have been no ABBA, without the Beatles..... cause and effect, really

acbus1
26th Mar 2005, 09:42
The Beatles - a trio of very talented songwriters & performers, plus a drummer......
I think you're overrating Ringo, there. He's got to be one of the luckiest multi millionaires in the history of the world.

HandspringGuy
26th Mar 2005, 11:59
.....I'd like to be under the sea....

sureley a classic piece of contemporary songwriting, that pushed the boundaries and laid a path for other greats like the Smurfs, Wombles and Bob the Builder?

reynoldsno1
26th Mar 2005, 21:10
"Reporter" to John Lennon: "Is Ringo the best drummer in the world.....?"
John Lennon: "He's not even the best drummer in The Beatles...."

gatfield
27th Mar 2005, 09:48
My brother was obsessed with ABBA so I hated them.

KISS was much better than both :ok:

HandspringGuy
27th Mar 2005, 11:53
I don't know why we are even comparing the architects of modern pop with ABBA.
Granted ABBA had a few catchy tunes and decent eye candy but come on...:confused:

What's next Elvis Presley vs Shakin Stevens? Bono vs Will Young?

Buster Hyman
27th Mar 2005, 11:59
Actually HSG its Rick Astley vs. Bing Crosby.

VFE
27th Mar 2005, 12:41
Beatles - tough, innovative and legendary. Bigger than religion in their day. Even had a two page spread devoted to them in the Daily Mirror everyday! Says everything really....

ABBA - girlie, sissy and camp. Nice tunes.

Anymore from anyone?

VFE.

Binoculars
27th Mar 2005, 13:12
Naah, that should just about do it. :hmm:

Blacksheep
28th Mar 2005, 03:57
For the Beatles, ABBA and all the other bands and entertainers who have sung and danced their way through the background of our lives...

Thank You For The Music...

CoodaShooda
28th Mar 2005, 22:36
Thank You For The Music...

And sadly......its now all Yesterday:{