PDA

View Full Version : The Office

Onan the Clumsy
24th Mar 2005, 20:04
New six part season starts in the US tonight.

If nothing else, that should be good to start a new America bashing thread.

:ok:

Jerricho
24th Mar 2005, 20:24
As I didn't find the UK version funny.................:yuk:

Onan the Clumsy
24th Mar 2005, 20:37
Ok, make that an Australia bashing thread instead :p

Knold
24th Mar 2005, 21:37
What new? Do you mean the second season or is there a third one?

Crepello
24th Mar 2005, 21:39
Neither - CBS have made their own version.

It'll work about as well as, say, a British remake of The Shield. I'll give it half a season...

tony draper
24th Mar 2005, 22:06
I dunno, some American comedy is as good as anything we produce here, although The Office was pretty long on irony and the cousins are not supposed to be very good at that, one also recalls their version of One foot in the Grave was the Cosby Show.
:uhoh:

stagger
24th Mar 2005, 22:11
Apparently some reviewers in the US have complained that Steve Carell's version of the boss character lacks the subtlety of Ricky Gervais' creation David Brent

:confused:

Jerricho
24th Mar 2005, 23:26
Subtlety.

I unfortunately saw a few clips of it the other day. While I can see there may be humour in the original (for those that have worked in the "office" environment) and in the gormlessness of Gervais persona (which I have heard many people say "I work with somebody just like that"), the lead character in the US version reminds me of a smarmy, in your face used car salesman who just needs a swift kick in the balls on his head. To say he needs lessons in comedy acting, timing, delivery, subtlety and humour would be one of the biggest understatements ever posted on these hallowed forums. 1 word - Un-f**king-funny!

(And for the Aussie comment, Onan needs a kick up the arse :p :p )

Safety_Helmut
24th Mar 2005, 23:53
Didn't realise the US did comedy ?

stagger
24th Mar 2005, 23:58
the lead character in the US version reminds me of a smarmy, in your face used car salesman who just needs a swift kick in the balls on his head. To say he needs lessons in comedy acting, timing, delivery, subtlety and humour would be one of the biggest understatements ever posted

It's this exactly what he's meant to be like? Sounds like the actor has done a good job if he's elicited this response.

whauet
25th Mar 2005, 05:55
Wow, I have watched the first 15 minutes of the US version.

What's sad is that it's not quite a remake, not quite a US version -- it feels remarkably like a parody. Most of the scenes, individual shots and sections of dialogue are nearly an exact copy, but toned down for our fragile American viewing public.

It's as though they gave all the actors the DVD of the series, told them to memorize it and then throttle it back from the UK version so it's palatable for American audiences, I'm sure the scripts read "Insert American joke here".

The subtle creepiness and pathetic tone that "David Brent" portrayed is gone, our version of "Gareth" was pitifully miscast, and our "Dawn" completely misses the mark.

It's bad enough that quite a bit of the American entertainment industry has given up on the concept of originality, but it's just awful when we have to endure an absolute destruction of the borrowed work due to the "Curse of the Wayward Breast" :rolleyes:

Blackshift
25th Mar 2005, 07:50
Friends, Frasier, The Simpsons or The Sopranos would never be re-made for a UK audience - and who would ever want them to be? So much of what they are about is what they convey about the culture from which they emanate.

The preciously insular cultural imperialism which dictates the re-making of The Office is artistically bankrupt and downright creepy.

This is entirely unnecessary - witness the enduring popularity of Monty Python in the US, it's very Britishness contributes to this.

An "americanised" version of this might be more more widely accessible to viewers, and they would certainly be justified in calling it And now for Something Completely Different, but at what cost? How much of its artistic quality hinges on it being understood as a cultural footnote to Britain in the 70's?

So it serves them right if The McOffice is crap.

Paranoid Parrot
25th Mar 2005, 08:08
Up at the crack of Dawn, eh? :ouch:

Blackshift
25th Mar 2005, 08:13
WAYHAAAAY !!!

I wish! ;) - just off the night shift m'dears.

IB4138
25th Mar 2005, 08:44
I didn't think "The Office" was comedy.

Just a very poor documentary of an office on Slough Trading Estate with a boss who is unemployable.

:yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

Capt.KAOS
25th Mar 2005, 09:35
The Office is probably the most overrated show on Television.

Jerricho
25th Mar 2005, 16:45
It's this exactly what he's meant to be like? Sounds like the actor has done a good job if he's elicited this response.

Stagger, you missed the point me old. The character that Gervais plays in the UK version is cringeworthy to the very definition of the word. The actor in the US version doesn't even begin to portray the same persona that they are obviously trying to achieve. The show is just an attempt at cashing in on (as much as I hate to say it) an already succesful and entertaing show. It's like casting Michael Jackson as Mr Rogers or a Teletubby.

As whauet describes, it is a carbon copy at best, yet seems to be lacking the traditional "canned laughter" at the funny parts.................simply because there aren't any.

Gainesy
25th Mar 2005, 16:59
I have heard many people say "I work with somebody just like that"

Does that not tell you something Jerricho?:)

(As one of the few people who have never seen "The Office", one is unsure if that is a compliment).

Jerricho
25th Mar 2005, 17:46
Don't get me wrong Gainsey, I can see humour in the original, as I have said, for those that have worked in an office environment. ;) (which rules me out)

The "rip-off" version = utter bollocks.

stagger
25th Mar 2005, 21:30
Jerricho

I've watched a few clips of the US version.

The American boss character seems pretty cringeworthy - but also slighty more menacing and sinister than David Brent ever was. I think this is what they might have been aiming for - David Brent is perhaps a bit too pathetic for a macho American workplace.

Someone wrote that the American boss reminded them of "a smarmy, in your face used car salesman who just needs a swift kick in the balls on his head." I suspect that this is exactly what they were aiming for.

With David Brent - when he makes innappropriate comments to female members of staff they seem offensive and upsetting but not quite as menacing as when they come from this new version of the boss.

Bear in mind that Ricky Gervais and Steven Merchant helped produce the US version - so it's not really fair to describe it as a "rip-off".

reynoldsno1
25th Mar 2005, 22:36
the balls on his head
I'm really struggling with this image......

Jerricho
26th Mar 2005, 00:13
Bear in mind that Ricky Gervais and Steven Merchant helped produce the US version - so it's not really fair to describe it as a "rip-off".

Perhaps I should use the words "sell-out" ;)

Wingswinger
26th Mar 2005, 07:32
Perhaps I should use the words "sell-out"

Isn't it his to sell? In his position, I think 99.9% of the human race would do the same.

phil_2405
26th Mar 2005, 12:45
I watched the 1st episode of the US version and thought overall it was quite good. Obviously not as good as the original but I think they did quite well in getting the tone of it right. I thought the US version of David Brent was good and it made me laugh!!

VFE
26th Mar 2005, 12:58
The only real reason the original one worked so well was due to the ironic acting of Gervais. Period. Doubtful anyone else could play that role as well as he did. Rather like someone else playing Delboy Trotter..... it just wouldn't work and not simply because we're just used to the face - some actors are just perfect in certain roles plain and simple and that's as much a credit to casting directors as much as the actor themself.

VFE.

stagger
26th Mar 2005, 13:38
VFE - yes, nobody could play David Brent but Gervais.

But the boss in the new version isn't David Brent. The Brent character is a very English one.

The boss character in this new version seems to have been designed to parody a type of American boss who is similar to, but slightly more sinister and menacing than David Brent ever was.

So he's going to be similar in some ways to Brent - but the differences are likely there by design and not simply failures to replicate Gervais' portrayal

Point0Five
26th Mar 2005, 13:49
The Office is one of the funniest pieces of TV I've ever watched. Having said that, it is very character intensive and you need to understand the basic premise to get it. Shows like 'Allo 'Allo weren't much different, there isn't anything funny about "French" and "British" people making silly comments... unless you understand the context.

The Americans make some of the best comedy in the world. Shows like the Simpsons are case in point.

After all, the Americans adapted Queer as Folk quite successfully:D

BigginAgain
26th Mar 2005, 14:14
Jellied Stapler anyone?

Classic!!

Huck
26th Mar 2005, 14:14
No American comedy made in the last 7 years can compare to any random episode of Seinfeld in my DVD library. They must have rounded up and shot all the good writers after it closed down.

Malcolm in the Middle is entertaining, sometimes, as is Bernie Mac. But still no contest.

VFE
26th Mar 2005, 16:34
And South Park is pure genius..... the yanks are great at pi$$ taking and poking fun at themselves.

VFE.

Jerricho
26th Mar 2005, 17:54
VFW, I'll second (and third that!!!)

Have you seen the latest offerings? Hippies take over South Park and Mr Garrison gets a sex change.

VFE
26th Mar 2005, 18:53
Not yet Jerricho.

"Okaaaaaaaaay-uh?" :}

VFE.

allan907
22nd Jun 2005, 13:04
First episode of the US version aired on Oz TV tonight.

What unmitigated crap! This just goes to prove that the Americans just don't have the sense of humour/comedy timing that Brits (and their offshoots) have.

Saintsman
22nd Jun 2005, 13:14
David Brent / Ricky Gervais = same person.

Have you seen his stand up? He wasn't acting in The Office, he was being his self.

Over hyped IMO

stagger
22nd Jun 2005, 13:33
allan907

Stick with the US version - yes, the first episode is bad but it gets better. Much better in fact - the "Diversity Day" episode is great.

tony draper
22nd Jun 2005, 13:35
The American version is being shown on BBC3 at the mo ,I think its BBC3,haven't watched it.
I think the American comedy that appeals most to the brits is the clever patter style thing, like Cheers or Frazier,nobody does that better than the cousins.
There was another American comedy that was only shown on cable I think, a spoof Chat show thing, Larry Shandler? or summat like that? that was brilliant but nobody seems to have watched it around here,another very good Brit comedy that was only on the cable channels was the Good Guys,a spoof police TV documentry style thing, I was supprised that did not make it to the main terrestrial Channels.
:cool:

Parapunter
22nd Jun 2005, 13:41
Gary Shandling show drapes & I loved it; "Oh horseshit Hank!"

Anyone who thinks Americans don't get irony has never watched the Simpsons.

tony draper
22nd Jun 2005, 13:50
The American also seem to have mastered the nack of ending comedy show runs at the right time, instead of making series after series long after they are tired and have run out of ideas like the Brit programe makers,see Last of the Summer Wine,great gentle comedy for the first few years,now its long past its sell by date, not a line we have not heard unteen times before, or a plot we have not seen, actors are no longer charactors,just actors mouthing tired lines.
:cool:

allan907
23rd Jun 2005, 03:29
Drapes I 'spose that Last of the Summer Wine is a bit like the characters in it - gently fading away into obscurity. Haven't seen the thing for the past 13 years as we don't get it in Oz - more's the pity. The first series would take some beating - the replacement(s) for Blamire never cut the mustard IMO.

Comedy over here is a completely different kettle of fish. If a programme isn't cutting it then it is whipped off the schedules without a by your leave (Billy Connolly's World Tour of New Zealand being but the latest example - booted to make way for cricket). However, with the Aussie taste for humour sometimes the programme is well beyond its sell-by-date (IMO) by the time that they pull it.

Stagger They do things in double chunks here and 'Diversity Day' immediately followed the first episode. My opinion didn't change.