PDA

View Full Version : Monarch Airlines Gla Base

webby1919
24th Mar 2005, 14:51
Can anyone help me with this one. Does anyone know if there is likely to be a permanent base in either EDI or GLA this year? I know that they are up here for summer, but I have heard rumours that the airline were looking to expand their Scheduled services into Scotland year-round.

EK-LHR-LGW-GLA-MAN-B
10th Apr 2005, 19:54
Summer base at GLA.

GoEDI
10th Apr 2005, 20:06
Summer base at GLA.

:confused: I think you'll find that it is EDI that has the MON summer base in Scotland. Nothing at GLA as far as I am aware.

Richard Taylor
10th Apr 2005, 20:14
Och,noooooooooooooo,not again!

GLA v EDI coming on again!

:rolleyes:

Actually MON should base themselves at friendly ABZ...:ok:

OK,I vote EDI...no- GLA...no ,err,hang on...

GoEDI
10th Apr 2005, 20:21
No as I've said in the past, it was a correction of an error. Paranoid people, seem to like highlighting an 'EDI vs GLA' argument at the first available opportunity, which certainly doesn't help matters. :rolleyes:

Richard Taylor
10th Apr 2005, 20:37
Coming from ABZ,could hardly say I was paranoid whether EDI or GLA gets the MON base, & which airport "misses" out!

I couldn't care less which one gets the base,EDI,GLA or Auchtermuchty!

As long as Scottish aviation & the people benefit from more flights(as long as viable)then that's the most important thing.

Therein lies my point. :ok:

I just enjoy the healthy debate(& corrections) ;)

LBA
10th Apr 2005, 21:07
GoEDI is right, Monarch have nothing from GLA, and a base at EDI just like last year.

GrahamK
10th Apr 2005, 22:32
GoEDI is correct, EDI A320 base, downgraded from A321 in previous years, one must guess due to demand.

GW76
10th Apr 2005, 22:33
Oh I can really laugh at those that think they know, and actually are mis informed. Although GLA does not strictly have a MON base, it actually has a increased flying program from GLA this year compared to last, with flights to Palma and Malaga, with a few long haul routes too. "nothing from Glasgow" is therefore just not true.
EDI's MON base is actually reduced to an A320 this year. The A321 being used more efficently elsewhere.

Meeb
10th Apr 2005, 22:39
I have a wry laugh when people say....
one must guess due to demand

Not having a go at you Graham, only at the short sighted charter operators like Monarch... :rolleyes:

Mr @ Spotty M
11th Apr 2005, 05:06
Meeb

When are you going to recognise the fact that the Airline does not dictate where aircraft are flown from, it's the tour operators.

WATABENCH
11th Apr 2005, 06:37
Glad to see us down here in the south west aren't the only ones in a good old airport power struggle, BRS vs CWL, obviously BRS kicks Welsh arse, as for your dilemma people I wouldn't have a clue!!

rentaghost
11th Apr 2005, 19:41
To answer the original question - summer base only at EDI i'm afraid although everyone concerned there would love it to become permanent . Should have done it in '99 when they had a great presence at GLA in my view albeit the flying was/is for the same tour operator (Direct)..!!

EDI is down on flying this year compared to previous years i hear -only 8 departures a week from there (plus 4 more on the unit elsewhere on W patterns) , nothing on a Wednesday at all and the only night flight being on a Friday .... Like i said , definitely down on previous years if this is the case.. - but this info i must stress is 2nd hand..

But have half the MON engineers in GLA resigned and gone to TCX ??- these guys are without doubt the most professional bunch of guys i have ever worked with - big loss for MON if this is true???

EK-LHR-LGW-GLA-MAN-B
11th Apr 2005, 20:09
Dont even start this crap again EDI spotters. If you would take 5mins out from your rant and do a wee bit of research you will find that MON have a A320 based at GLA this summer and a 767 passing threw 4 times a week.

GrahamK
11th Apr 2005, 20:20
A quick search on the BAA Glasgow website provided this info on Monarch flights from GLA:
Mondays - 0 flights
Tuesday - 0 flights
Wednesday - Orlando
Thursday - 0 flights
Friday - 0 flights
Saturday - Orlando, Palma ("w" flight")
Sunday - Malaga ("w" flight),

And that is all. If there is a based a/c then it's sitting on the ground doing nothing all week then...

rentaghost
11th Apr 2005, 20:22
EK

If the 320 passes thru' GLA it will be on a W pattern - pls believe me the only MON base in Scotland is at EDI this year , indeed i had a very nice chat with the EDI base stewardess just the other day ..
767 will be doing long-haul obo Thomas Cook holidays!!

Captain Rodders
11th Apr 2005, 20:30
The "w" flights are by the EDI based 320

CR

EK-LHR-LGW-GLA-MAN-B
11th Apr 2005, 20:43
The 767 will do flights from GLA not EDI.

Cuillin
11th Apr 2005, 20:45
The Monarch GLA-SFB-GLA on Wed & Sat are presently planned to be on the A330 (not the B763).

Mr @ Spotty M
11th Apr 2005, 21:01
EK-LHR-LGW-GLA-MAN-B

For your infomation the B767 does not set foot in GLA or even EDI for that matter.
It only fly's out of LGW and has one split load through MAN on a Sunday to CUN.
Unless the Flying programme has changed in the last couple of months, the only GLA to SFB is on a Saturday with the A330.
The only other flight as reported is the A320 on a "W" from EDI on Saturday to PMI.

GoEDI
11th Apr 2005, 22:02
Dont even start this crap again EDI spotters. If you would take 5mins out from your rant and do a wee bit of research you will find that MON have a A320 based at GLA this summer and a 767 passing threw 4 times a week.

How about YOU do 'a wee bit of research' before coming in here and mouthing off, you could start by reading this thread back, then maybe you'll find it is you coming out with the 'crap'.

Richard Taylor
12th Apr 2005, 12:54
...as I was saying...a healthy debate! :}

For all this EDI vs GLA thing,ABZ is currently BAA Scotland's fastest growing airport just now :p .

To be serious (sort of! :) ) wasn't there ALLEGEDLY some sort of BAA agenda to focus leisure traffic at GLA & business traffic at EDI,or did such an "agenda" ever exist?

Bealzebub
12th Apr 2005, 13:24
Mr@spottyM has it about right.

There is a summer basing at EDI, there will be a some flights operating through (threw) Glasgow.

the 767 has no scheduled flying through either, although it may well operate on an ad hoc basis from time to time.

As for that strange comment about Monarchs alleged myopia, well, as has already been stated, they only operate in response to their customers demands. In this case the customers being the tour operators. This seems to have been a successful method for the last 37 years ! In much the same way as it has for other UK operators such as Brit....No wait that is now TUI. As it has for eh.......eh......eh....eh... No sorry perhaps meeb could enlighten me ?

EK-LHR-LGW-GLA-MAN-B
12th Apr 2005, 17:14
I think you will find that the 767 (G-DIMB) will passthrew GLA on long haul flights.

GrahamK
12th Apr 2005, 17:57
Im gonna go with those that actually work at Monarch and say that it wont ;)

Cuillin
12th Apr 2005, 18:31
Monarch B763 S05 Programme (subject to change but it is as it stands at the mo)

Mon

LGW-Corfu-LGW-Mombasa

Tue

Mombasa-LGW

Wed

To be advised

Thu

LGW-SFB-LGW

Fri

LGW-Puerta Plata-LGW

Sat

LGW-SFB-LGW

Sun

LGW-MAN-Cancun-MAN-LGW

No plan to go thru Glasgow at the moment but could appear on sub/one off charter/tech replacement etc

GoEDI
12th Apr 2005, 19:00
Im gonna go with those that actually work at Monarch and say that it wont

Agreed.

Mr @ Spotty M
27th Apr 2005, 21:22
It seems that the B767 will operate at least one flight a week at GLASGOW.

codpiece face
27th Apr 2005, 22:19
The 767 will be passing through GLA this summer that is fact, i have seen the flying program, although it might only be for the six weeks of the school holidays which is earlier in scotland than england. Incidently during the summer holidays there are monarch flights passing through around 5 days of the week.

With regard to EDI, the flying program is totally dictated by direct holidays who are the main charterer, in line with the myt reductions they have altered their flying. The rumours are true about Monarch Scheduled looking at Scottish routes, i believe Mr Jeans has been at Edinburgh for meetings recently.

Finally only three of thirteen engineers are departing to TCX so its business as usual for the Monarch engineers in Scotland and we will be looking forward to seeing some old faces again this summer as it has been a few years since we where graced with MON boeing fleet crews, although not G-DIMB as we have had it based at Glasgow a fair bit over the last few years.