PDA

View Full Version : Biker Pilots

VC10 Rib22
24th Mar 2005, 14:15
Ladies and gentlemen,

I have been told this forum is where all the cool bikers are to be found, and ask for your advice on the following -

How do you manage to transport your flight bag safely using your motor bike? All the boxes supplied by the manufacturers are too small to contain it, so have you :

1. found a carrier that it can be attached to safely, despite its bulk ?

or

2. found a sizeable rucksack to put it in ?

or

3. made up some kind of device in lieu of a rucksack using retaining straps from a climbing shop ?

All sensible suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

VC10 Rib22

IFTB
24th Mar 2005, 14:21
All sensible suggestions appreciated. :rolleyes:
ohno, not another one!

Dear VC10 Rib22 , did you know you posted in JetBlast?

timmcat
24th Mar 2005, 14:29
It's a bit like the 'Carlsberg' ad where the poor unsuspecting trucker wanders into the little old lady's house for help...... :E

cyclicmicky
24th Mar 2005, 14:36
Get a trolley and a rope, fit a towhitch to your bike, easy really!!
just common sense.
:uhoh:

Shaggy Sheep Driver
24th Mar 2005, 14:43
Don't carry so much stuff. I have a BM GS1150 now with panniers, but when I had my VFR and my Blackbird I used the tank bag. Headset, map, GPS, pair of jeans and trainers (to change out of my bike gear into at the airfield) all fitted fine.

SSD

Limit State
24th Mar 2005, 15:22
Yeah, but where do you put your watch?

:E

IFTB
24th Mar 2005, 15:46
TC

Did the old lady also find a sizeable rucksack to put it in?

edited, as I just noticed:

when I had my Blackbird I used the tank bag small wander these planes leak like sives their tanks seal up once they reach high altitude and heat up (friction) a bit.

cyclicmicky
24th Mar 2005, 15:49
I wish!!$%^:uhoh:

redsnail
24th Mar 2005, 15:53
Yep, ridden a bike to work a few times.
In one job I just used a large satchel sort of thing to carry around the stuff. It wasn't too cold so I could get away with not wearing the full leathers etc. I'd keep the work shoes at eerr work and leave the bike boots there when out working.
If I was at a job where a standard hard nav bag was the norm, then I (like every one else) would leave the case at work.
:)
No way would I use a top box, might be practical but looks rubbish on a Ducati.

VC10 Rib22
24th Mar 2005, 20:28
IFTB,

Yes, I knew that I was posting in 'Jetblast'. I originally posted this thread in 'Professional Pilot Training' at 08.18 24/03/05, believing that there would be many trainee biker pilots who have dealt with the size/weight difficulty of their new flightbag, and received a reply informing me that I should try this forum as it is frequented by bikers (hence my opening line in the original post).

Maybe it is still too early but I was hoping for something along the lines of.....'Ah, I too had this problem, but resolved it by/with .......'. I don't mind bikers revealing what kind of bike they've got - hell, try stopping us - but please do so only if you've got advice on addressing my query, otherwise I'll start a seperate thread entitled ' I'm really interested in how big, fast and wonderful your bike is, tell me all about it'.

:ok:

Whirlygig
24th Mar 2005, 20:29
Panniers on a Triumph Bonneville do the job admirably. So what's the problem? Are you trying to carry more stuff than would normally be seen in a lady's handbag? In which case, ya don't need it!!

Cheers

Whirlygig

SuperOwl
24th Mar 2005, 21:55
I tend to use a large rucksack if I want to carry anything while on my bike. I'm pretty certain you could find one to put your flight bag into plus a few odds and sods as well. Of course, make sure its one with very secure strapping and also that it has a waist belt thingy to stop it sliding around on your back.

As for my wheels, I ride a 600cc Bandit. Not the fastest, not the best, but it is mine and I love it to bits.

SyllogismCheck
24th Mar 2005, 22:12
One of these should take care of it.....

http://www.romford.org/shops/cumberland/cumberland01-x2.JPG

Oz Ocker
25th Mar 2005, 07:30
Yer can always get ya girlfriend ta carry it for ya.
http://sfnitelife.com/uploads/Dikes_on_Bikes_Pride_Parade-2003-23-0621408ef9a3547a4/images21408ef9a34f967/3408ef9a7a297f.jpg

Be seein youse round.

SuperOwl
25th Mar 2005, 10:43
Or try and get hold of one of these.

Hearse (http://www.motorcyclefunerals.co.uk/index.htm)

"For a dignified final ride.
Slow, fast and very fast funerals"

It will keep your gear dry for sure.

Firestorm
25th Mar 2005, 11:42
Oz Ocker: you might never fnd it again! Mind you, she caould make a few bob carrying them for other folks, too!

redsnail: so vain! :D

chuks
26th Mar 2005, 18:41
Assuming for the moment that you are being serious with this question:

A flight bag is a bit awkward due to its size and shape. Would a gym bag of similar volume suit your purposes? That is what I use instead of a flight bag. I have a cheap one from Tchibo that's fairly robust and almost waterproof. It fits into the same size recess on the side of the cockpit as a standard '4-Jepp' flight bag.

You can strap it across the bike's seat behind you with a 'spider' or whatever you call that pair of linked bungee straps. When it rains you can cover it with a bin bag.

The shoes and the rest of the uniform fit in the panniers. If you have a locker at the hangar then that's where you would want to store your riding suit, boots, gloves and helmet. Otherwise you will have a problem with that.

I find that the getting dressed and undressed before and after riding the bike eats up a lot of time, but a bike can save you enough commuting time to make that worthwhile. It's one of those 'it depends' things, really.

Good luck finding a solution.

Divergent Phugoid!
27th Mar 2005, 11:08
Very easy answer... Cargo net for bikes around seven of your hard earned pounds and strap said bag on pillion seat.

Don't need to worry about the weight as it isn't going to be as heavy as a pillion passenger!!

Problem solved!!:ok: :ok:

Ahhh so you don't have a pillion seat?? try one of those pannier boxes as seen on the Addison Lee couriers in the smoke, one could fit a small moped in there!!:E :E

VC10 Rib22
2nd Apr 2005, 19:44
I've decided to buy a huge, waterproof rucksack to contain it.
Thanks for the advice anyway.

VC10 Rib22

:ok:

diginagain
4th Apr 2005, 08:51
If you can get hold of Pete Bin****d, he may have some advice - at least on how to get his YamaMotoGuzZundaPucherelliBenelliumph 125 down 3 flights of stairs, and past security at the Main Offices in the Bog Beyond Cumbria.

And pay the Pongo Stripy Watchkeeper 10 for replacing his brake lever - trashed by said Pongo Stripy on the way up said stairs.

Well, it was Christmas.

Loose rivets
4th Apr 2005, 09:13
Did anyone have a Suzuki EFE? Fully dressed 1100 circa 1983

ShyTorque
4th Apr 2005, 10:13
Buy a twist'n'go scooter and carry it in your left hand.

Or a Lambretta and put it between your knees on the floor.

tall and tasty
4th Apr 2005, 10:33
How about one of those little wicker baskets the type on the old Hovis advertisement! :p

Or one of my friends leaves his at work in a locker and only takes what is needed back and forth to work.

And you guys complain about us ladies and our handbags :p :p

TnT :ok:

Whirlygig
4th Apr 2005, 20:17
I remember offering to give a lift to two luuverley pilots. One of these said pilots also wanted to bring his whole flight case with him. All this was to take place in a 2+2 sports car with overnight cases as well.

One poor chappy was scrunched up in what purports to be a back seat whilst the other was languishing in the relative spaciousness that is the front seat.

However, said pilot in front wanted his pilot's case with him as well. It was pointed out (by the poor [email protected]@rd in the rear) that he didn't need EVERYTHING in the case. So, he took out what he needed for the night.

The TORYGRAPH!!

So, by being a little selective, it can be done on a bike!

Cheers

Whirlygig