PDA

View Full Version : To be or not to BE

linksys
24th Mar 2005, 09:10
I saw a 777 with RR engines taxing out for DEpt,
and the starbd eng was really 'leaking' fuel.

Tried to convey my concerns but to no avail.

Have i done enough.

:ugh:

Rainboe
24th Mar 2005, 10:40
I've been trying to work out the relevance of the title to the contents.

Go on, put me out of my misery. I never could do crosswords- useless at clues.

FLCH
24th Mar 2005, 11:12
to be or not to BE..... BE "Burning Engine" maybe....

lomapaseo
24th Mar 2005, 13:35
Have i done enough

Yes... You have brought it to our attention

Old Smokey
24th Mar 2005, 15:02
Are you really sure that it was fuel ?

The RR Trent like all (most) other engines scavenges and vents overboard all of the 'slop' accumulated whilst on the ground - Water, melted Ice / Snow, overfilled Oil, overfilled Hydraulic fluid, and yes, even some fuel.

And YES, you did do the right thing in reporting it. Most times it is a false alarm, but sometimes very real.

Regards,

Old Smokey

Self Loading Freight
24th Mar 2005, 21:14
It can be a hard call. Is that engine really leaking in a way liable to give you first-post rights on Rumours & News, or are you going to look like a nervous dolt? One time to Cork on one of MO'L's more venerable craft, I was sitting behind the right hand engine and couldn't help but notice large gobbets of oil occasionally emerging from an access panel and generously lubricating the back end. I'd watched lots of engines (going into Cork, it was those or the tops of clouds), and this was definitely something of a gusher.

Eventually convincing myself that doltage was no great sin, I had a quiet word with one of the cabin crew (which is hard to do without coming across as Mr Bonkers, but then pressing the call and yelling "Oy! Yer engine's about to ex-PLODE!" seems a bad idea).

Yes, I was being a nervous dolt. As someone said, it just proves there's oil in the thing. But I think that no matter what's bothering you, tell someone. It's what they're there for.

R