PDA

View Full Version : Biker Pilots

VC10 Rib22
24th Mar 2005, 07:18
Ladies and gentlemen,

How do you manage to transport your flight bags safely using your motor bikes? All the boxes supplied by the manufacturers are too small to contain it, so have you :

1. found a carrier that it can be attached to safely, despite its bulk ?

or

2. found a rucksack to put it in ?

or

3. made up some kind of device in lieu of a rucksack using retaining straps from a climbing shop ?

All sensible suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

VC10 Rib22

:ok:

CAT3C AUTOLAND
24th Mar 2005, 08:03
Had no where to put my flight case on the Suzuki GSXR750!

All used to go into a reasonable sized ruck sack for me.

When the airline job comes home, us bikers will have to consider cars, dont want that pressed uniform getting all creased in a ruck sack :oh:.

All the best.

Tallbloke
24th Mar 2005, 08:45
My flight bag is fairly standard (being a Cabair offering) and it fits into my Givi topbox easily. Mind you, it is huge, my girlfriend and I can get are lids in it. It does something strange to the aerodynamics as well, when the speedo is pointing somewhere between 10 and 11 o'clock on my VFR.

If you post this in Jet Blast you will get more replies, there have been a couple of bike threads there lately.

VC10 Rib22
24th Mar 2005, 12:51
Thanks for the replies. I will do that, Tallbloke.

leading edge!
24th Mar 2005, 13:27
Personally, I use a large Honda (ST1100) and things fit very nicely in the panniers.

I would seriously discourage any use of bungees/ straps etc. I once saw the consequences of a holdall that escaped its straps and went into the rear wheel of a m/c.

Remember that weight limits for motorcycle luggage is usually quite small, it is inevitable that you will have to reduce the load if you are doing an overnighter etc!

Leading egde!

Whirlygig
24th Mar 2005, 21:15
Leading edge,

Sorry - don't wish to sound thick here but surely the weight limit for luggage on the back of a bike is roughly equal to that of a potential pillion passenger?

I have throw over panniers on Bonneville (never having considered the weight factor?) and can get loads in them. Then, I throw them over my shoulder. Job done.

Cheers

Whirlygig

Tallbloke
25th Mar 2005, 09:39
Whirlygig, you would have thought so, but many luggage systems have limits because of the way they are fixed to the bike. I think the manufacturers quoted figures assume a pillion is already aboard.