PDA

View Full Version : The Daily Mirror should sack Tony Parsons!!

Pontious
24th Mar 2005, 01:14
...because of his comments in his column in The Mirror Monday 21st March 2005. His venom was inappropriate at best and libelous, stereotypical, ignorant and downright inflamatory at worst. I would love to meet him down a dark alley....

His employer's paper is supposed to back the Comic Relief Campaign but his spewtum was a direct attack on one of it's most popular features- The Peter Kaye/ Tony Christie combination of "Is this the way to Amarillo?" But he didn't stop there. He personally attacked Kaye's material as "2nd hand" and racist, then rounded of stereotypical "Northern Ladishess" and everybody "North of Watford". So that's the Northerners, Brummies, Geordies, Jockanese and Paddies that this smug southern sh1t thinks are inferior to his "superiorness".

Jealous, hate filled rantings aimed directly a large portion of the country that is predominantly working class, further widening a North/South divide has no place in a "Bastion of Northern Working Class values" such as The Mirror.

After reading his poison, I can only forsee the impact on Mirror sales in NW England will resemble The Sun's demise on Merseyside post Hillsborough.

As someone of similar age and origins as Peter Kaye, I easily understand and identify with his brand of humour, as do many, many Northerners. But I cannot see Tony Parson's bollockspeak as anything other than a personal attack on Non-Southerners in general and Northerners in particular.

The Shandy drinking Southern fairy should be sacked, butt f****d with a barge pole sideways and his head mounted on a spike at Watford Gap services on the M1. The snivelling little pompous, self righteous, "ain't I done well", sh1t!!!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :*

Jerricho
24th Mar 2005, 01:22
Deep breaths.........come on. Deep breaths.

Lost_luggage34
24th Mar 2005, 01:41
And you took the time to write that ?

Blimey, being a Northerner by birth I would have to agree with some or most of your sentiments.

Meeting in a dark alley - I think not.

As Jerricho has stated a few deep breaths are in order.

acbus1
24th Mar 2005, 07:23
This is an eye opener.

I did'nt know the Daily Mirror employed writers of such calibre and perception.

Right then.

Safe distance......... :E

Wingswinger
24th Mar 2005, 07:39
Who, with an ounce of intelligence, cares?

ORAC
24th Mar 2005, 08:26
You lost this one when you admitted reading the Daily Mirror...

tony draper
24th Mar 2005, 09:06
One doesn't normaly indulge in critisism of our southern neigbours as you all know, but is that the tony Parsons who used to be on the telly?,if so one always concidered him a mincing limp wristed gooly eyed perfumed fop with no redeemng feature whatsoever,and a fluffy and a lurrvie to boot, apart from that he was ok.
One has not taken the Mirror since they dropped the Fordyke Saga and Jane cartoons.
:rolleyes:

stagger
24th Mar 2005, 09:17
Had a quick look at the review...http://www.mirror.co.uk/columnists/tonyparsons/
...and it's mainly about Kaye's singing - not his comedy - and not even his comedy singing. It's is his attempts to sing seriously that Parsons finds really objectionable. Apparently at his standup shows Kaye sings Danny Boy "straight, his face like thunder".

(Remember folks - that ain't his voice in Amarillo)

Dop
24th Mar 2005, 09:54
I've always found Peter Kaye to be incredibly unfunny and wonder what idiot thought it was a good idea to let him on TV.

And I'm sick and tired of hearing that bloomin' song too.

BALIX
24th Mar 2005, 10:03
Tony Parsons used to write the weekly 'Rock' column in the Telegraph. (Yes, they have one) Not a week would pass by without him mentioning that guru of misery and suicidal insanity, Morrissey of The Smiths. Seems that Mr Parsons was a fan.

Says it all, really...

X-QUORK
24th Mar 2005, 10:48
So if Tony Parsons is a fan of Morrisey and The Smiths, that doesn't quite fit with the North-hating monster image does it?

Send Clowns
24th Mar 2005, 11:03
Wingswinger - we are talking here about Mirror readers, not people with an ounce of intelligence!

Gouabafla
24th Mar 2005, 11:16
Well, I consider myself a northerner (though Drapes thinks my Co. Durham origins pin me firmly in the south) but try as I might, I couldn't find anything insulting in the article. Shame really - I quite like the idea of getting annoyed about something today.

simon brown
25th Mar 2005, 00:33
He should take a leaf out of Boris Johnsons book and get himself a round Britain train ticket and go and apologise..........p'raps not probably being a soak of a hack hack he could never stand to be more than 5 minutes away from a drink.....

IB4138
25th Mar 2005, 09:05
Problem with the round Britain train trip, is he thinks that all lines out of London cease at Watford Junction!

Pontious
25th Mar 2005, 13:46
I don't read the rag. I had it shoved under my nose while enjoying a quiet early evening pint as I was home on leave. His comments incensed a pub full of 'Northerners' whose backgrounds spanned both blue collar & white collar, retired and working, from a gang of manual labourers to a plethora of professionals and a trio of p****d off airline pilots to the point where they were calling for his scalp to be removed, preferably while he was still breathing.

I haven't checked for any reactions or representations made directly to 'The Mirror' since Parsons' comments as I have thoroughly vented my spleen and directed my wrath to the opening of this thread, which was a knee jerk reaction, but as a proud Northerner I had to respond. I choose not to read 'The Mirror' because of the crap that it publishes. If Tony Parsons, or anybody else "...just don't get Kaye's humour..." or finds it offensive then change channels, turn your radio off, don't watch it. But don't, don't, don't openly slag a guy off who is currently in the limelight for raising money for a worthy cause, because you just look like a nasty, bitter and twisted individual. In other words a complete t**t.

:ok:

None of the above
26th Mar 2005, 10:29
I wouldn't normally leap to Parsons' defence, but I view his deeply unpleasant nature as an object lesson in the perils of marrying Julie Burchill.