PDA

View Full Version : PPL before sponsership?

NT42
23rd Mar 2005, 20:11
Hi,

Quite simply, is it advised to gain your PPL before applying to airline sponsership schemes?

I'm seventeen, doing my AS levels (maths, physics, English language and geography), may go to university and then hopefully gain a sponsership from an airline, and fly commercially.

From my point of view, having had 5 hours on and off flying time, I really want to get the PPL ASAP, simply because I love it.....my parents are slightly more reserved to part with the money - persuasion required!

So, PPL before sponsership?

Thanks,

John.

Lolo737
23rd Mar 2005, 21:04
Hiya!
From my experience of going for sponsorship schemes(many moons ago - before 911 - unsuccessfully) a PPL would have been a huge help, particularly(obviously) during the interview stage. It obviously shows a certain ability and motivation.

Its an excellent thing to do and go for it if you enjoy it but be aware that there are very few sponsorships left.

Im a self-sponsored frozen ATPL holder and so far no luck on the job front like so many others so you have to think carefully before deciding to part with so much money!

Im a positive thinker and I think recent movement in the industry is lookin positve for us so fingers crossed for that and good luck!

GS-Alpha
23rd Mar 2005, 22:08
I was sponsored by an airline without any previous flying. As long as you have the right answers at interview stage, it doesn't seem to matter too much whether you have the PPL/experience or not. In fact, over a certain amount of experience, and they will not touch you (for sponsorship). Your plan to head off to university is your best bet, unless you can afford the full funding for an ATPL.

You should bare in mind that sponsorship schemes may be a thing for the history books alone...

MMEMatty
24th Mar 2005, 14:25
Why not do a degree and a PPL?

At leeds they do Aviation Technology with Pilot studies (i'm on AT& Management, the sister course) which gives you 20hours free towards your PPL, you just have to pay for the remaining 25 hours and your flight test, medicals etc. If money is a problem, you can also get a bursary from the University to cover the costs. If you need any more details send me a Personal Message and i'll get back to you.

Otherwise, be aware that there are very few "proper" sponsorship schemes that i know of, the only one i've found recently is Cathay Pacific. Many airlines now expect you to part fund the ATPL and training. But keep persevering and you'll get there eventually.

HAGU

Matty

ElPresidente
24th Mar 2005, 15:14
Hi jwforeman,

I didn't do a PPL before hitting the ATPL, and don't regret it in the least - but I'd advise anyone starting out to do it for several reasons:

You find out whether or not you have an aptitude for it or whether it makes you sick!

It'll give you a head start into professional training, and it allows you some leeway as to whether you want to do modular or integrated training (Perhaps others who know more can correct me, but I think sponsorship schemes are few and far between - although take a look at Flybe, I know they do a part-sponsored one)

And perhaps most importantly, it shows long-term interest in aviation when you do get to the job/sponsorship interview stage! Or you could simply plead poverty like me and tell them your ASBO kicked in straight after classes.

spaceman18
25th Mar 2005, 20:56
Talking from experience of the closest thing i know to a "sponsorship", (CTC) a PPL doesnt really change anything. There are many guys who started without one. In an interview, CTC, and I imagine any other scheme, just want to see that you have determination, motivation, and commitment. A PPL does help towards this, but there are other ways.
After saying all that, I d go for the PPL! great fun.:D

NT42
26th Mar 2005, 21:17
Hi all,

Thanks very much for the feedback!

I've come to the conclusion that I want to do my PPL. Or at least start it. At the end of the day it is fun, and like its been said, it shows flying ability and that flying is for me.

As for the flying and degree - I have looked into this. The university course I've been looking at requires a self funded PPL before the second year. This means I would need to begin rather soon! From what I've read and heard university is a must, with this competitive market for young recruits. I am determined to have a career in avitiation, and I will, hopefully as a pilot. If this means working in an office for a few years to raise funds for self sponsering, so be it but I will be a pilot at some stage. Anyway, enough for the planning of my life!

If i am to do this university course I need my PPL quick, so there is some persuasion needed for my parents. I don't have the money, so any tips on geting parents to help. My Dad seems happy to, but not my Mum, and it hasn't been mentioned for a while, so a talk is needed - help!

Anyway, thanks for the replies - greatly appreciated,

Cheers,

Adios,

John.

scroggs
29th Mar 2005, 09:17
What sponsorships? There are none at the moment!

Scroggs

sammy shamal
29th Mar 2005, 12:51
Hi there!

The last sponsorship to be run was by Britannia (ThomsonFly), since then they have run an approved scheme with the cadets paying for the course themselves , being mentored by ThomsonFly and upon satisfactory completion of the course will be offered employment on their 737 or 757 fleet. The courses are carried out at Flight Training Europe in southern Spain (http://www.flighttrainingeurope.com/).

ThomsonFly are apparently planning on having more cadets start this summer in Jerez, however I donīt know whether they will be approved students or sponsored!

My point is that in both selection processes a Maximum of 30 hours flying experience was stipulated.

Personally I think starting your PPL sounds like a brilliant idea and will be a great help to your future course, interviews etc.

A way around the max number of hours could be to have a modest log book that never quite gets to the max of 30 hours that is advertised in the ThomsonFly adverts.

Good luck

Sammy

NT42
29th Mar 2005, 16:23
Hi,

Sammy - thanks for the info. I was aware of previous schemes from Britannia which are max of 30 hours. Like you said - no harm in starting the PPL!

And Scroggs, the lack of schemes at the moment is precisely why I need to be the right candidate, for when they finally open up! And if not, the RAF don't oppose to have flying time or PPL for pilot recruits, do they?

Anyhoo, thanks all for the info, very helpful, and it seems my parents (by parents I mean only my dad, not my mum) seem to be warming to the idea of the PPL!

Thanks very much everybody!

John.

BigGrecian
29th Mar 2005, 18:20
I didn't do a PPL before hitting the ATPL

JAA requirement : PPL required to sit ATPL exams.

Sponsorship is hard to find so don't assume on getting sponsored!

The RAF don't oppose PPL etc but remember if you are selected they are going to train you from scratch anyway! Join the cadets and get involved that way if your seriously interested in the RAF!