PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to Airline

favourite_gas
23rd Mar 2005, 16:45
Hi,

Wasn't quite sure if this comes under the Medical forum, but here goes! My colour-vision is not sufficient for a Class 1 medical, hence I wont be able to fly at night. This presumably rules out an airline career. Can anyone suggest alternative professional flying jobs?

Ta

buzzc152
23rd Mar 2005, 17:31
I'm sorry to say it but without a class 1 medical you won't be able to get a CPL.

Instructing, glider towing and para dropping can be doen on a PPL, but alas not for reward (ie you won't get paid).

GRANTS
23rd Mar 2005, 19:54
In some countries in the EU the class 1 in easier to obtain although ¨same standards¨.

you might want to consider a short trip to Spain...

good luck.

favourite_gas
25th Mar 2005, 12:11
Interesting.....

Could you elaborate on the Spain thing please.

Ta

GRANTS
25th Mar 2005, 12:38
I suffer from a minor eye function problem that kept me from obtaining class 1 in Germany.
in the UK they checked everything in details and gave me the Class 1 eventually.
in Spain... the examination took 5 minutes and I got the papers with no questions.

I don´t know how is it with colour vision but as you can see, surprises do exist.

note that you can only do your flight training in the country that issued your class 1, but you can work wherever you want within the EU.

and if that doesn´t work, the american FAA is the least strict and you might want to try you luck with a career over there.

Isaidleft
25th Mar 2005, 15:28
I konow of 3 people who failed in Spain on eye issues yet passed in UK

GRANTS
25th Mar 2005, 15:50
as long as there is no all european computer data base, it is worth trying in another country.
it´s up to you to tell them that you have failed in some other place...

there are two kinds of doctors:
1. those who follow the rules and only the rules.
2. those who believe that a man has the right to be a pilot unless he is dangerous.
I know a doctor is Israel that took the israeli CAA to court over one guy´s colour vision and won the case.
this guy is now on a757 and no one died so far...

medical issues are always subject to the doctor´s perception.

that´s my experience.

good luck anyway!